1987 Toyota Truck bed parts - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Pre-88 Toyota Pickup/Hilux Discussion area for the '88 and older Toyota Pickup/Hilux. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-06-2008, 04:16 PM
1987 22r

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
1987 Toyota Truck bed parts

Need to know if anyone out there is making repro parts for toyota truck beds. I know of a few places that make fiber glass ones but I would like to keep the bed as stock as possible. What I really need is both wheel wells but will be interested in just about any part that can be found.thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-07-2008, 07:03 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlep0069 View Post
Need to know if anyone out there is making repro parts for toyota truck beds. I know of a few places that make fiber glass ones but I would like to keep the bed as stock as possible. What I really need is both wheel wells but will be interested in just about any part that can be found.thanks
I am looking at just replacing area around bed sides. I am looking at having someone install the parts for me if it is not too expensive. I can weld but had a pacemaker implanted and welding is now a no no. I been searching for a bed for my 87 4 wd sr5 pickup with no success - live in minnesota and most good beds are too far to drive and I hate to buy something without first looking at it. I looked at fiberglass bed but it is a bit too pricey for me, all depends on what it costs to have a local shop do the work for me now.

http://www.tabcobodyparts.com/

http://www.alfaparts.net/toyotapu.htm

Last edited by sailor; 07-07-2008 at 07:05 AM.
#3 Old 07-07-2008, 09:26 PM
1987 22r

(Thread Starter)
bed parts

I know what you mean by the fiberglass stuff is a bit too expensive. My restore project is just going to be a daily driver so I can park my nice car. Thanks for the two sites to get some parts. I saw that whole sides were available before but didn't want to get into all of that. My rust was not too bad so i wanted to patch it in the places that it needs to be fixed. Most of it is actually around the wheel wells on the inside. I also did see that some places were selling used beds but most of the ones I saw that had pictures had the same rust spots that mine has.

Last edited by shlep0069; 07-07-2008 at 09:28 PM.
#4 Old 07-11-2008, 08:30 PM
Official TN Member

there are NO places that sell them ..

these pieces are NOT in "hi demand" , so no company "stamps " re-pros .... your best bet , if you dont wanna spend the cash on glass ( http://www.****************.com ) , is to make your own pieces .. afterall , your labor is free .

I have heard of guys buying junk yard fronts , and welding them in the rears .. lots of work .. any usually guarenteed to rust again .. but hey .. whatever " floats your boat"

Last edited by slacker; 07-11-2008 at 08:31 PM.
#5 Old 07-12-2008, 07:53 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlep0069 View Post
I know what you mean by the fiberglass stuff is a bit too expensive. My restore project is just going to be a daily driver so I can park my nice car. Thanks for the two sites to get some parts. I saw that whole sides were available before but didn't want to get into all of that. My rust was not too bad so i wanted to patch it in the places that it needs to be fixed. Most of it is actually around the wheel wells on the inside. I also did see that some places were selling used beds but most of the ones I saw that had pictures had the same rust spots that mine has.
My truck is a 87 extended cab 4wd with only 70k miles. It looks great with no rust on the truck except for around the bed wheel wells. It was my dads truck and he took good care of it, but a truck on minnesota roads is bound to some rust. My mother has a Cadillac, 1984, with only 50k miles without a spot of rust!

I just use the truck for pulling my boat on weekends and park it in the garage the rest of the time. It will never see another winter.

I not in a hurry to repair the bed and will keep looking for a bed out of state. I am going to talk to some local body shops to obtain pricing on painting the more expensive fiberglass bed verses having them repair fender wells with panels and paint. I know fiberglass is best but it seems it would be less expensive just fix the wells since the rest of the bed is in good shape with no visible rust.

Time to fire up the truck, hook up the boat, and go fishing now.......

Good luck.

Last edited by sailor; 07-12-2008 at 07:54 AM.
#6 Old 07-13-2008, 07:13 PM
Official TN Member

"visable rust" are the key words ....

fixing a toyota box is vertually impossable .. with all the spot welds and lap joints .. your fighting a LOOSING battle .. It's a waste of coinage .. what you fix today , will come back tomorrow !

sure , the fiberglass is more expencive then the FIRST inital repair .. but do a search .. and you'll soon find you'll constantly be repairing the small bubbles of rust ..

#7 Old 07-14-2008, 05:36 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker View Post
"visable rust" are the key words ....

fixing a toyota box is vertually impossable .. with all the spot welds and lap joints .. your fighting a LOOSING battle .. It's a waste of coinage .. what you fix today , will come back tomorrow !

sure , the fiberglass is more expencive then the FIRST inital repair .. but do a search .. and you'll soon find you'll constantly be repairing the small bubbles of rust ..

thanks for the advice. It makes sense that the rust will never go away...........

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Hilux (Pickup) Forum > Pre-88 Toyota Pickup/Hilux