22R Carb. Help Me identify the Adjustment Screws. - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Pre-88 Toyota Pickup/Hilux Discussion area for the '88 and older Toyota Pickup/Hilux. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-15-2009, 05:27 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
USA 22R Carb. Help Me identify the Adjustment Screws.

Please help me identify the function of each adjustment screw.
At the bottom of my carb there is a plug in the carburetor flange, I think the idle mixture adjustment screw is under this cap, correct? If so how do I remove the cap? Drill it out?

Also on the carb flange linkage there are two adjustments screws. I think one is the cold idle (2400 rpm) and the other is the AC idle adjustment screw. Can you tell me which screw is for which adjustment and what should the AC adjustment rpm be set at?

On the carb body is a spring loaded adjustment screw, is this the warm idle speed (750 rpm) adjustment?
Carb is from a 1981
Another question. I have a second carb with the cap still in the hole at the #1 location. How do I remove the plug? Drill it out?

Last edited by don1234; 03-15-2009 at 05:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-15-2009, 01:16 PM
OLD SCHOOL

pics man pics! lol
twstdturbo post got some pics

ac idle should be around 900-1100 but with a stick you can go lower
turn the ac on when it cycles you will know which one.

THE BLACK PEARL
recent mods: one eyed jack-in-the-box ball
#3 Old 03-15-2009, 01:53 PM
New TN User

"At the bottom of my carb there is a plug in the carburetor flange, I think the idle mixture adjustment screw is under this cap, correct? If so how do I remove the cap? Drill it out?" YES and YES. With a tiny drill bit say 1/8".

There is a screw on the lower part of the carb, on the side away from the engine. There is a mixture adjustment screw (MAS) plug covering it (if it hasn't been removed). This will have to be removed. To remove it, drill a hole into it (be careful not to drill into screw, put some tape around the bit so it can go in only a 1/4 inch). Drill off to one side not in the center. Then install a screw into the hole or a pointed object, and remove the plug with some pliers or by orying it out. Then turn the adjustment screw counter clockwise to make the mixture richer.

If this has no effect, then turn the screw in counting the turns (including how much you backed it off), until it is lightly seated. Then remove the screw and spring. Spray carb cleaner into the hole, then blow it out with [COLOR=green! important][COLOR=green! important]compressed [COLOR=green! important]air[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]. Reinstall the mixture screw and adjust to the original position. If the idle smoothed out, then turn it in until it runs rough, then back off until it smooths out. If it is still rough then, back off the screw until it smooths out. If it doesn't, then the carb will have to be overhauled.
#4 Old 03-15-2009, 02:53 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Sorry I am new here and have not figured out how to post pictures

I now know for sure where the idle mixture and AC idle screws are.

I still need to know about the two remaining adjustment screws one adjustment screw is on the carb body and the second adjustment is on the linkage.

Anyone know?

Last edited by don1234; 03-15-2009 at 05:06 PM.
#5 Old 03-16-2009, 08:55 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Here is a link that will take you to a picture of my carb where I have numbered the adjusting screws that I have questions about.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...1/IMG_0670.jpg

I know the following
#1 is the idle mixture
#4 is AC idle speed
#2 Not sure
#3 Not sure

Concerning #2 and #3. I need to know which one is the warm idle speed and which is the cold idle speed adjustment.

Last edited by don1234; 03-16-2009 at 08:56 PM.
#6 Old 03-16-2009, 10:16 PM
Official TN Member

#2 is the one I use to set the regular idle to 700 RPM. #3 ive never even noticed that one on my carb.. , but my carb. is on a 1988.

Last edited by mikes451; 03-16-2009 at 10:18 PM.
#7 Old 03-16-2009, 10:28 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Hi Mikes 451

Thanks for your reply. The #3 adjustment screw is very hard to see, for the picture I opened the throddle all the way to show it. I would not have seen it but everything I see about the carb says there are 4 adjustments so I looked for it.

Don
#8 Old 03-20-2009, 04:26 PM
New TN User

I think #2 is the warm idle adjustment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Hilux (Pickup) Forum > Pre-88 Toyota Pickup/Hilux