Looking for tail light wire diagram - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Hilux (Pickup) Forum > Pre-88 Toyota Pickup/Hilux

Pre-88 Toyota Pickup/Hilux Discussion area for the '88 and older Toyota Pickup/Hilux. NEW!

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2009, 09:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Irv
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View Irv's Photo Gallery
Looking for tail light wire diagram

I have a 1987 Toyota Pickup and I am looking for a wiring diagram for the tail lights. The harnesses have been cut off so there are bare wires and I currently have no tail lights at all and the truck has a wooden bed. So I will be acquiring a general set of aftermarket tail lights and I need to find a schematic that shows how to wire an 87 pickup. Anyone have one or know where I can get one? Thanks.
Irv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2009, 10:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
New TN User

View 88mudpuppy's Photo Gallery
you can try autozone or advanced or anywhere that carries the chilton or any other repair manuals. they should have wiring diagrams near the back of the book. or i know the public library near me has repair manuals you can copy ten cents a page.
88mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

View nate25's Photo Gallery
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=229546

try some of these

the link in the first post is for an 88 truck and 4 runner it has helped me out dont know if it can help you but i would not think there would be much difference with the tail light wiring. its 82 mbs though it takes a while to download
nate25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Irv
Official TN Member

View Irv's Photo Gallery
Anyone think this will work?

Last edited by Irv; 09-09-2009 at 05:46 PM. Reason: There should be a wiring diagram image here. Doesn't seem to be working though.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View brownbagg's Photo Gallery
the white and black are grounds, and the greens are tail light. there is a plug under the passenger seat. It also has the fuel pump wire for fuel injected( blue wire) all the tail lights go through that plug. 4 greens two white, one blue. the greens are tail lights
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Irv
Official TN Member

View Irv's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
the white and black are grounds, and the greens are tail light. there is a plug under the passenger seat. It also has the fuel pump wire for fuel injected( blue wire) all the tail lights go through that plug. 4 greens two white, one blue. the greens are tail lights
Alright, thanks. As I said, my harnesses are cut off. I have figured out a bunch of it myself so far. I got the reverse lights working fine. I have the running tail lights hooked up and running fine. The problem I am having is when I attach both the brake lights and blinker wire to the same connection on the tail lights all of my blinkers blink at once and when I apply the brakes all of the blinkers, front and bank, turn on. (The tail lights I am using have 3 wires - Marker, Blinker/Brake, Reverse.) Do I maybe not have the system grounded properly? Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View brownbagg's Photo Gallery
thing about toyota, the power goes to the light and then to the switch., then ground. so if its grounded somewhere it goes crazy. everthing else in the world goes power, switch, light, ground. so you have to carry the ground wire back to switch
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Irv
Official TN Member

View Irv's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
thing about toyota, the power goes to the light and then to the switch., then ground. so if its grounded somewhere it goes crazy. everthing else in the world goes power, switch, light, ground. so you have to carry the ground wire back to switch
I don't really understand. Right now I have the black/white ground wires not attatched to anything. The rest I have connected to 3 way tail lights (each light box on each side contains a wire for reverse, brake/blinker and marker) as follows:

1. Marker lights from toyota going to the marker lights on the tail lights.
2. Reverse light wires from toyota going to the reverse lights on tail lights.
3. And I have the brake wires along with the blinker wires that come from the toyota both wired together and wired into the brake/blinker spot on the tail lights.

The tail lights themselves I have grounded to the frame but the white/black ground wires that come from the toyota I still have connected to nothing. When I turn on either my left or right blinker all of my blinkers turn on and when I turn on my brakes my blinkers turn on.

Do you think I have this wired right? Do I simply need to do something proper with the black/white ground wires? What should I do with these black/white wires - I have one on each side. Thanks a million.

Last edited by Irv; 09-09-2009 at 04:14 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
NY born, Texas raised

View texas12's Photo Gallery
What are you using for ground? If you are using the chassis, disconnect that and use the black/white wires for your ground.

'88 4runner, V6, 5spd, sunroof, power everything, 185,000+ miles.
texas12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Irv
Official TN Member

View Irv's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas12 View Post
What are you using for ground? If you are using the chassis, disconnect that and use the black/white wires for your ground.
Do I connect the black and white wires just to the frame somewhere? Or do I connect them to the tail lights somewhere? I'm on the verge of taking this thing to a garage to have it done. Hopefully I can get some good advice and won't have to. I've never done electrical work, so I know next to nothing about grounding.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:48 AM   #11 (permalink)
Irv
Official TN Member

View Irv's Photo Gallery
The wires coming from the Toyota to the rear (on each side) are 1. blinker 2. brake 3. running light 4. reverse light.

The lights that I have are 3 way. They have 1. blinker/brake 2. running light 3. reverse light

When I connect both the brake light and blinker wires from to the truck to the blinker/brake slot on the new rear assembly all of the blinkers blink at once and the blinkers also come on when I hit the brakes.

Do I simply need a 4 way rear light to match the four way wiring of the truck or do I maybe not have this thing grounded properly?

Any help is much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Hilux (Pickup) Forum > Pre-88 Toyota Pickup/Hilux