22r to 20r ?s - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Hilux (Pickup) Forum > Pre-88 Toyota Pickup/Hilux

Pre-88 Toyota Pickup/Hilux Discussion area for the '88 and older Toyota Pickup/Hilux. NEW!

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2011, 08:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View phoenix44's Photo Gallery
22r to 20r ?s

So I need to do a lot of work on my 84 that I just acquired because the previous owner didn't take care of it. But it still got to 240,000 miles with him and now I have to tear into it.

The 20r was acquired for free and was running great when I pulled it out of the totaled truck (for free with a five speed trans) so I decided to just drop it in and see if I liked the five speed better while I build my 22r.

So the question is: will the 20r just drop in with the current oil pan and clear the little cross member for the front end? I looked at both motors beside each other today after getting the 22r out and the oil pan on the 22r is shallower in the middle area by about ~.5-.75".

Thanks for help, this forum made pulling the 22r much easier.

20r:

22r:
phoenix44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2011, 08:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Corona is gone.

Lifetime Supreme Member
View 79Corona's Photo Gallery
I don't think that 20r is going to be much fun to drive, but good luck.
Other Toyotas : 79 Corona DLX sedan (Mint green), 89 Corolla DX sedan (wine), 88 Camry V6 LE sedan (blk), 86 Hilux std bed (wine), 82 Celica GT hatchback (bwn), 78 Celica GT coupe (slvr), 76 Corolla SR-5 coupe (wht)
79Corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $105260
View verlaryder's Photo Gallery
Maybe you could put the 22R oil pan on the 20R assuming the oil pump pickup fits. I know from personal experience that both engines use the exact same oil pan gasket.

I have both a 20R and 22RE. While the 20R is somewhat (about 15-20%) less powerful, it's very smooth and a bit quieter because it has cast iron rocker arms instead of aluminum arms like the 22R. The 20R is also more rugged because it has a double row timing chain assembly and smaller diameter cylinder bores that make the engine more resistant to internal cylinder head gasket failure.
verlaryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
DeBadged

View Raffaelli's Photo Gallery
That 20R looks like it came out of a celica (because its mid-sump)

Take it off, put the 22R oil pan and sump on the 20R.
Then sell the 20R oil pan and sump. I got 60 bucks plus shipping for mine.

Celica pan...

The 22R is obviously a truck rear sump
Old 03-31-2011, 09:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
New TN User

View phoenix44's Photo Gallery
Thanks for the replies but I decided to just sell off the parts and buy a 1980 Toyota I found that I really like.

The 20r pictured is not a mid-sump, it's just longer and shallower in the mid-section of the pan unlike the 22r which has a deeper rear section where the drain plug is. And I know it came out of a truck because I pulled it from the truck. Yes I could of swapped them, I had them off but decided to just give it up since the 20r spun a bearing while I was test running it before putting the work into swapping over mounts and everything to put it in the truck. I put them back together and sold them off as running but needing rebuild.

The front wheels needed bearings on both sides and all new brake lines (leaking everywhere). I wish I had kept the flat bed and positrac rear end but the guy that wanted it was mainly interested in it for those parts.

Thanks, this site has been a lot of help through my many little yota projects.
phoenix44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Hilux (Pickup) Forum > Pre-88 Toyota Pickup/Hilux