grinding when hubs locked in - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Pre-88 Toyota Pickup/Hilux Discussion area for the '88 and older Toyota Pickup/Hilux. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-28-2005, 12:44 AM
Timota

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Canada grinding when hubs locked in

hey, just wondering, I've got an 87 toy p/u with manual locking hubs and lately ('cause i'm stupid, and keep 'wheeling anyways) when I've been driving with the hubs locked in, occasionally I hear a metal on metal, or grinding noise. It isn't constant, and usually happens for brief amounts of time, but has gone on for longer, but seems to happen more when in 2 hi, with hubs still locked in than it does in 4 hi, and 4 lo. It seems to be coming from the drivers side, and no, it isn't rocks i've looked that far at least. anybody experienced anything like this before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-28-2005, 10:47 AM
Dads toy

You only hear this grinding noise when you have the hubs locked in 4wd position? Never when they are unlocked? Does this happen at all speeds or you only notice it at low speeds?
I'm just trying to pinpoint a diag. & solution.

*HERMIT*the T-Tech

"OH WHAT-A-FEELIN"
#3 Old 06-28-2005, 01:01 PM
New TN User

I have a simmilier issue when the hubs are unlocked and at low speeds I hear a grinding noise Metal on metal. Like low brake pads. I checked the pads not the problem. I tried to take the hub apart but it rusted on pritty good. Any ideas? Other than have some one else do the work? the Axel seem a little sloppy.
#4 Old 06-28-2005, 06:31 PM
Timota

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit
You only hear this grinding noise when you have the hubs locked in 4wd position? Never when they are unlocked? Does this happen at all speeds or you only notice it at low speeds?
I'm just trying to pinpoint a diag. & solution.

*HERMIT*the T-Tech

"OH WHAT-A-FEELIN"

it happens at all speeds, and yes, only when the hubs are locked in 4 wheel drive position, never when they are free. I'm not sure if it happens at a crawl, but definitely happens at higher speeds
#5 Old 06-28-2005, 06:42 PM
Official TN Member

how many miles are on it. Over time, they may have jsut simply worn out. If you take it offroading, you may jsut want to invest in some new hubs to be safe. They're not overly expensive, and will give you piece of mind next time you go offroading. With locking hubs, you really shouldnt go highway speeds when hubs are locked and in 4WD. lots of un-needed wear occurs at highway speeds to hubs when they are locked and in 4wd. If you happen to get new ones, make sure you keep them unlocked until you need them.-- saves alot of wear on them.

-Adam-

1992 Toyota pickup 4x4. 3" body lift, Skyjacker Nitro 8000's, ICW alloy rims, 31X10.50" tires, K&N drop-in w/ airbox Mod. Sony Xplod head unit, MTX & kicker front speakers, BAJA and APC lights up front, Accel SS coil
#6 Old 06-28-2005, 07:09 PM
Timota

(Thread Starter)
yeah, it's up there on km's, but i definitely don't drive highway speeds with hubs locked in, i take them out usually as soon as I think I won't need them anymore, but thanks for the advice, I don't think the hubs are the problem tho, 'cause 4 wheel drive still works good. Think i'll just bring it into a shop, and see what they say.
#7 Old 09-09-2007, 01:36 PM
Performance Downgrade

similar issue!!

Hey all,

I'm having a similar issue. Happens in 4 hi...on and off. Sounds almost like sand grinding somewhere. doesn't happen at all in 2hi. Also never noticed it in 4lo.

If anyone has gotten to the bottom of this, i'd love to know the answer/solution to fixing it.

Thanks,
Shamus

When God said 'Let there be light' Chuck Norris said 'Say Please.'22rte,Bored.030,P&P head,frgd pistons,CompCam,K&Nfilter,CressAFM,Garret t3/t4,MBC,FMIC,BOV,440ccInjectors,Flowmstr,FAST A/F,EGTgauge,BoostGauge,SAS w/82front axle,xover,Cust. drvshft,AllPro,ProComp,RollBar.amsoil,93octane
#8 Old 11-12-2007, 11:56 AM
New TN User

Canada

I'm having a similar problem. Only when the hubs are locked, dosen't make a difference if in 4wd or not. It sounds like something is rubbing on the tire. I cleaned and relubed the hubs but it didn't make any difference. It comes and goes, it is speed related as it slows to a stop as the truck does. Any thoughts?
#9 Old 11-12-2007, 12:09 PM
Performance Downgrade

sorry! no luck yet

Sorry...no luck yet. It's been a couple months since i posted my response, and nobody seems to know...or they don't care to post an answer.

If you do figure it out, i'd love to know what the solution is.

Thanks!
Shamus

When God said 'Let there be light' Chuck Norris said 'Say Please.'22rte,Bored.030,P&P head,frgd pistons,CompCam,K&Nfilter,CressAFM,Garret t3/t4,MBC,FMIC,BOV,440ccInjectors,Flowmstr,FAST A/F,EGTgauge,BoostGauge,SAS w/82front axle,xover,Cust. drvshft,AllPro,ProComp,RollBar.amsoil,93octane
#10 Old 11-12-2007, 01:27 PM
New TN User

I read on some other sites that it could very well be dry spindle bushings. The description others had were exactly the same as mine. I will lube mine and let you know what happens. Some guys are changing the bushings to roller bearings but there seems to be many saying that is a bad idea. Re-lube bushings and you are done, if bearings dry out it can cause lots of problems. Plus if you get water in there (like we would ever go in water...) they could rust causing problems too. So keeping the bushings and lubricating them seems to be the way to go. I will repost when I get them done, it might be a few days though... have to find a 54mm socket.
#11 Old 11-12-2007, 04:36 PM
Official TN Member

I sometimes feel a vibration when the hubs are locked but i soon found out that it was the front drive shaft joints. They were worn out. Causing the driveline to be very sloppy when it rotates.

22r 85 toyota regular cab
31in tires on black rims
#12 Old 11-13-2007, 08:53 AM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLN 85 Yota View Post
I sometimes feel a vibration when the hubs are locked but i soon found out that it was the front drive shaft joints. They were worn out. Causing the driveline to be very sloppy when it rotates.

I may have that problem too but the other is more important to fix right now. I didn't notice any vibrations until I raised the sagging rear last week though. About 5 inches in lift using extra leafs.
#13 Old 12-22-2007, 06:32 PM
New TN User

mine makes popping noise when i backup in any 2hi 4hi 4low don't matter hubs locked or not help please
#14 Old 12-23-2007, 09:11 AM
Official TN Asshole

change out the hubs..

85' 22r. 4x4...some stuff

www.myspace.com/suckondeezforafew
#15 Old 12-24-2007, 12:11 PM
New TN User

Just an update. I lubed the spindle bushings and the problem is fixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Hilux (Pickup) Forum > Pre-88 Toyota Pickup/Hilux