Quarts of Oil - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
1st Generation (2001-2007) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 1st generation Toyota Highlanders.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-10-2007, 07:30 PM
2007 Highlander Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quarts of Oil

How many quarts of oil do you guys put into your V6 3.3 Liter Highlander? I know the manual says 5 qts. but I just want to know if anyone puts in 5 or more or less. The reason why I ask is because my Mazda Protege 5 manual says 4 quarts but when I put in 4 the dip sticks reads really low and I know I have no leak. Oh I check the dipstick after driving for 15 mins. after an oil change. So then I always put in 4.5 quarts which is just perfect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-10-2007, 11:00 PM
One with the force

the 3.3L is exactly 5 quarts. it's the same as the 3.0L engine. (I have both.). 5 quarts is including the filter change. otherwise its more towards 4.8-4.9 quarts.
I typically go get 5 quart jugs as they are cheaper and they are exactly the amount i need for a complete oil change.

Hm i go to UC Irvine. =) i love irvine. haha

#3 Old 01-10-2007, 11:24 PM
2007 Highlander Sport

(Thread Starter)
Thanks, nodrogkam. I haven't done my oil change yet since I only have 188 miles as of today. I haven't use my Highlander much since I got it last month. But I plan to change the oil at about 2000 miles and put in Mobile One full synthetic. Might be awhile until I get to about 2000 miles.

Did you graduate already from UCI? Yes Irvine is nice but cost of living here is quite expensive. Wish I could buy a house here but it's way out my budget. I work here in Irvine and have apartment that's only two miles away from work. Hate driving through traffic.
#4 Old 01-11-2007, 01:11 AM
One with the force

Traffic in OC is nothing compared to traffic in LA.
I mean i thought bay area traffic was bad...ha.

yes its expensive but nice. No im a first year student.

you could wait till 3000 miles to change it so you can keep a schedule that's more in line with the service recommendations. but that's totally up to you. I notice new service recommendations run in 5K intervals now so changing at 3k would throw it off anyways. I know we waited till 4K till i couldnt stand it anymore. The original oil was so black at 4k...the guy at toyota said we should have came at 3k and not to listen to the 5k advertised. 5k is really stretching it with regular oil. Synthetic is fine.

Mobil 1 is a great oil for the car, I ran it through one oil change interval, but then felt cheap...since the car is never driven hard. Just put some nice castrol oil in it and surprisingly, it's staying a lighter color for a longer time than the full synthetic did.
I'm not sure but it seems like castrol oil works better on the v6 engines. I've got the same results with my camry.

Anyways never skimp on the oil filter, that may make all the difference no matter what type of oil you put in your car. Have fun with your HL Sport!

#5 Old 01-11-2007, 02:25 PM
New TN User

I did my first oil change meself a few weeks ago (the dealer hads been doing it when I was busy). It took exactly 5 qts and I drained out exactly 5 qts as well.
#6 Old 01-11-2007, 07:30 PM
2005 HL Ltd. 4WD V6

oil changes

For whatever it's worth, I use Mobil 1 5w-30 (5 quart jugs) myself, along with OEM Toyota oil filters, and change every 5k miles. I do reset the oil change monitor when I change, but always go by 5k miles. I agree with Nod about not skimping on oil filters. The factory filter uses dual stage filtration and a bypass valve. I bought a bunch of them online from www.bobbridgetoyota.com at a decent price, and even my local dealership where I bought the car sometimes sends me coupons worth 10% off on over-the-counter parts. I gotta have about 20 in stock, but I also use the same part for my wife's 04 Lexus RX330, which has an identical powertrain as my HL. I also bought a bunch of air filters and cabin filters from Bob Bridge. The RX uses the same air filter, but the cabin filter is different.
#7 Old 01-11-2007, 09:09 PM
2007 Highlander Sport

(Thread Starter)
Thanks guys for all your input on this. Now I know to only buy 5 qts. nothing more and of course oil filter. One more question, lqueral you mentioned about the oil change monitor, how do you reset that?
#8 Old 01-14-2007, 07:58 PM
2005 HL Ltd. 4WD V6

oil minder

This applies to my 2005 Highlander Limited. Make sure your odometer is reading mileage (not trip odo). Shut car off. While holding in the odometer reset button, turn ignition on (don't start car, just turn ignition to "on"). Hold the button in until the odometer reading displays all zeroes. Release the button and start the car. Done. The "Maint Req" light usually signals a change between 4k and 5k miles (in my case). I go every 5k with synthetic oil, regardless of monitor. Last time it went off at 4.5k and I merely reset it to cancel the light, which I did not want to see for 500 more miles. It's supposed to calculate oil changes based on driving habits, but I'm not sure how "smart" it really is. I don't know what model year this feature was added. There are more advanced monitors used by other manufacturers that even tell you, in percentage, how much oil life you have left. The light is good enough for most people.
#9 Old 01-14-2007, 11:58 PM
One with the force

i had no idea it was an intelligent meter. manual says it comes on about 5k.

5k for fully synthetic is a bit often, but if you use an oem oil filter then 5k is right.

#10 Old 01-15-2007, 11:54 AM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogkam
i had no idea it was an intelligent meter. manual says it comes on about 5k.

5k for fully synthetic is a bit often, but if you use an oem oil filter then 5k is right.
Out of curiousity, is there an oil filter that you would recommend to extend oil change intervals beyond 5k?
#11 Old 01-15-2007, 12:21 PM
One with the force

Mobil 1 EP (extended performance) filter. I believe it was designed to pair up with their EP fully synthetic oil that they claim will last up to 15K. I have personally used that filter and it keeps the oil looking cleaner, longer.

there are also filters from companies such as AMSOil that are made for extended drain intervals.

Right now on my camry im trying one of FRAM....yes i did say FRAM's newer product designed for a 7K oil change interval.

#12 Old 01-16-2007, 12:08 PM
2005 HL Ltd. 4WD V6

warranty

I do realize that I can extract more miles between changes running a full synthetic oil, but I'm kinda afraid to for fear of giving Toyota an excuse for not honoring the powertrain warranty (I think it's 5/60). Not that I'm likely to need this warranty, but anything can screw up. Most (if not all) the synthetic oil manufacturers still recommend that you follow the OEM manufacturer's recommended oil change intervals. I'd really like to go once a year, which for me is about 10k miles, but I hesitate.
#13 Old 01-16-2007, 12:33 PM
One with the force

if you change your own oil, how would anyone know if you've been keeping up with the service dates anyways? I mean of course if you let the oil run for a very long time and sludge and other crap builds up and they take apart the engine and see that you're a special case, then you could be screwed.

but couldnt they argue that for anyone changing their oil by themselves didnt do something right or forgot to change it for a long time etc?

I actually didnt want to start changing our new HL's oil myself but i didnt want to waste time at the stealership/other places as well as extra money for something i can easily do myself.

Does anyone know if changing your oil yourself voids warranties? Or is there a special procedure i should follow? Ie. keep receipts? lol

#14 Old 01-16-2007, 05:40 PM
2005 HL Ltd. 4WD V6

trouble?

From what I've heard and read (Car Doctor radio show and several automotive publications that I read), the manufacturer, in the event of a powertrain failure where repairs are being requested under warranty, the manufacturer COULD ask for proof of scheduled maintenance. This can, in my case, since I change my own oil, be sales slips that show the oil change components having been purchased. This could be trouble for me, as I bought about 20 Toyota oil filters over 1 year ago and usually buy several 5 gallon jugs of syntehtic oil at one time, as I use this on all 4 family cars. Meaning, the dates on my invoices do not prove periodic maintenance. The manufacturer can also have your existing engine oil analyzed to see what state it is in in the event of a claim. I keep a word processor document on my computer where I log anything done to the car, either by myself or the dealer. This includes inspections, tire rotations, windshield wiper changes, and oil changes, whatever. But ANYONE can create a document like this, so I don't think this would prove anything. Now I'm not saying that they will pull out all stops to "screw" ya, but the more chances you take, the more opportunity you're giving them to deny a claim. I hope NONE of us ever has to test all this stuff out.
#15 Old 01-16-2007, 06:16 PM
One with the force

yeah..

looking on toyotas own website they offer instructions for owners on how to do oil changes one their cars, etc. yet they dont state anywhere about warranty etc.
I may just ask my dealer next time i drop by.

by the way, what needs to be done on an HL at 15,000 miles? Oil change, air filter, cabin air filter, top off fluids? is that it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > 1st Generation (2001-2007)