2001 with codes p0440 & P0446 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > 1st Generation (2001-2007)

1st Generation (2001-2007) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 1st generation Toyota Highlanders.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2008, 03:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View Roger1950's Photo Gallery
Question 2001 with codes p0440 & P0446

CEL on and codes p0440 & p0446. Found what I thought was the problem.. hose from the back of the air filter completely disconnected from a line that I assume may be going to the gas tank? Connected the hose back up but CEL is still on. I did read somewhere that removing the EFI fuse for 10 seconds would reset the CEL. Did that but no go. Highlander runs fine (even when the hose was disconnected) but would like the CEL to go off. Thanks for any advice.
Roger1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2008, 04:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Toyo ServiceMan

View drumrabbi's Photo Gallery
Roger:

Elkton? i lived in Owings Mills and my father and grandparents live and grew up in Randallstown...I live in Kansas City now ( moved for work with TOYOTA )

The Evap codes you have sound like the typical Jiffy Lube codes...
We mainly see those on the Highlander after a Jiffy Lube or some other quick lube service facility checks or changes the air filter.
The line that runs to the purge valve is usually disrupted or disconnected at the bottom of the air box.

If you dont want to pay a diagnostic charge at a dealer,go to Auto Zone or disconnect your battery. That will reset the ECM and hopefully clear any codes.

Are the codes in history , pending or current?
drumrabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 04:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

View Roger1950's Photo Gallery
2001 with P0440 & 0446

One of my kids currently works in Owings Mills..the other in Pikesville. I'll stick with the country / Elkton. So .... pulling the EFI fuse won't do the trick? I didn't want to do the battery thing and lose all my radio settings. Thanks for your help.
Roger1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
New TN User

View sdmark's Photo Gallery
I've got the same codes on my 2001 MR2 Spyder. Found out the codes by going to AutoZone and borrowing their scanner. I also cleared the codes using the scanner. In my case, they keep coming back: Oct. 13, Jan. 19, and now Jan. 27.

Interesting comment that it may be caused by something loosened during a service. Last May 25, I went to a Toyota dealer for an oil/filter change and inspection. It was an awful experience--the guy measured tire depth on a rear tire and copied the reading to all tires (although two were almost bald), and did the same thing with the tire pressure (although the front tires were lower per mfr. spec). They assured me he didn't fudge the brake pad thickness readings, but now I wonder if he failed to get a hose re-attached properly.

My problems is, I don't know where to find things on this car. Where the heck is the air filter? In the trunk (which is in front on this car)? Not having much luck finding a repair manual...

Thanks for any thoughts,

Mark
sdmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 05:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Toyo ServiceMan

View drumrabbi's Photo Gallery
Hi Mark:
I'll look into it...we don't see too many MR2's...i'd imagine once you pop the hood to access the engine, you will find the hose. Is the car running differently? The code may also be due to a MAF Sensor...

So, the guy at your dealer didn't realize that the tires are also 2 different sizes, pressures should be different and they DO NOT get rotated?

Wow...As for the actual location, I can check for you and get it to you later on, ok?

Regards,

Josh
drumrabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 10:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
New TN User

Thanks Josh. I think the "don't see too many MR2s" is part of the problem. (Why this car didn't succeed as an alternative to the Miata I don't understand.) It's too easy for service guys to make incorrect assumptions.

This case went beyond wrong assumptions though: doing one tread depth reading and copying it to all four tires. My rear tires wore out the previous year and had been replaced, so the tread was fine. That's the reading that they put down for all tires. He also copied the tire pressure reading from the rears. I had expected them to tell me the front tires were due for replacement, and would have considered buying the tires from them that day. Needless to say, I bought the front replacements elsewhere, about a week later.

It is a rather uncomfortable feeling to be a consumer trying to educate the dealer service reps about MR2 tire pressure. If they don't even know about that, how can I expect them to know how to fix something more complex? Where do I go when something is really wrong and needs repair?

I grew up around Chevy V8s, and while I love driving Japanese cars, when I open the hood it all looks so jammed together that I get lost fast. So yes, if you find the air filter, let me know!

Thanks,
Mark
Old 02-01-2008, 07:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
New TN User

Well I found what must be the air filter housing, a bulbous black plastic thing under the (rear) hood with 3" tubes going in and out. The input tube is hard plastic and flops around a bit, not forming a tight seal. Does that matter? There are all kinds of tubes wrapped around the housing, but I don't see any others actually entering the housing. Pictures below.

I flipped down the two brass clips at the front of the housing and tried to open it without success. Wouldn't pull up, wouldn't open like a hinged clam, would only slide about 1/16".

The car seems to be running fine. What's an MAF sensor?

Thanks for any tips!

Mark

Air Filter Overview

Air Filter Intake Detail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > 1st Generation (2001-2007)