Location of VVT-i oil control valve filter screen. - Page 2 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
1st Generation (2001-2007) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 1st generation Toyota Highlanders.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 01-06-2009, 02:36 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Hey 23rest, I'm wondering how/if you ever resolved this problem. I recently had what seems to be the exact same issue happen to my 2001 Corolla. My mechanic inspected the OCV, told me there's nothing wrong with it, and said the problem lies with the ECM. I'd rather find a cheaper solution instead of replacing the ECM. I'd be grateful for any advice. Also, this problem is less than a week old for me--how long do you think I could live with it if the only way to fix it is to install a new ECM? There's still no difference in my car's performance--it's running fine. No loss in power, no stalling, no nothing.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 01-12-2009, 03:48 AM
New TN User

Hi 23rest, prawnh and new echo owner, I have a 2001 corolla and also have a same problem
(Code is: P1346, VVT sensor/ camshaft position circuit), i replace de the Mass Air Flow Meter and after these the problem to persist with the motor bad lending, my question is;...
someone know how do inspection the OCV?
How to test the ohms the OCV? i still take a long time with the problem and itīs about time to solution these.
temporarily i disconnect the terminal electric cable and at least the motor performance to show a less general weakness.
European compliments
#18 Old 01-17-2009, 10:56 PM
EX-Chevy Guy

(Thread Starter)
A recall for reprogramming the ECM.

Hi NEO and everybody else,
I just got a recall notice in the mail for re-programing the ECM. Go figure! I changed the camshaft position sensor for nothing, but I never did anything beyond that because frankly, it was running just fine. Now, my wife will take the Highlander to a dealer on Tuesday, 1/20/9, to have the ECM re-programed. I didn't even know that was possible. At least it's a free service. I probably won't see my $60 again for the new sensor but at least I know what to look for, now. Hopefully THIS will clear out the 'check engine' light! Anyway, you other guys need to try reprogramming your ECM if, that is possible. It's a cheap, quick fix. I will post my final results if this clears up my warning light.
23rest
#19 Old 05-22-2009, 11:24 PM
EX-Chevy Guy

(Thread Starter)
Final report, the timing chain had slipped

Ok, it is fixed now. First, Schaumburg Toyota replaced the ECM under a recall. I had to replace the battery first because they said the ECM required a good battery to re-flash the ECM. The battery was $56 at Costco. I drove it home with the new ECM, the check engine light was back on before I got home. Went back to Schaumburg Toyota, then, they said the timing chain had slipped a tooth. At first they were only going to reposition it, for $850. They discovered the chain was too long to reuse (duh!) as I had already told them! So, they changed the chain and some other parts for the same $850. The Highlander only has 77K miles on it, the chain should have lasted 200K miles. Good thing Toyota doesn't make motorcycles! We got the Highlander home, no check engine light yet! Hopefully, it will last long enough to pass the emissions test, which is required to renew the license plates, which is why I finally had to deal with it. So, $966 total for this repair, counting the unnecessary cam sensor change. I would have thought from Toyota's reputation that they knew how to make a timing chain. It sounds like I am not the only one experiencing this type of problem.
At least I now know about the timing belts on the V6's, you have to spend $780 every 60k miles to change the V6 timing belt, what a deal! Won't be buying any of those any time soon!! Anyway, case closed. Good luck to the rest of you.
#20 Old 05-23-2009, 07:43 AM
Official TN Member

I am pretty sure you will need to replace the VVT gear. This is the part that bolts to end of intake camshaft. The vanes inside stick and wont respond to the oil pressure.
#21 Old 06-18-2009, 05:10 PM
EX-Chevy Guy

(Thread Starter)
On it goes, the Highlander has been at the dealer for 15 days now.

Well, I need to update this story. Schaumburg Toyota thought it was ok to change only the timing chain, and not the sprockets. They also put 5 quarts of oil in the engine, 1 extra for good measure, I guess. I drained out the 5th quart of oil the next day. A couple of days after taking the Highlander home, the whirring noise from the engine got progressively louder. It was returned to Schaumburg Toyota to be fixed again. I showed them in the Chilton manual where it says they have to be changed together as a set, along with the oil pump chain and sprockets. Two weeks later, they say they changed the oil pump ITSELF, sprockets, chains and reassembled it, and it's still noisy. (It never made a sound before they worked on it.) Now they are saying the cam shafts are binding and they need to tear the whole engine down to check for damage. And they found metal shavings in the oil pan. (No chain fragments????) Who knows where this is going? I already have $850 in this "repair." I would NEVER have brought the vehicle in to them if the check engine light hadn't failed the emissions test. And who would have thought the timing chain needed a tensioner pulley, what a goofy design!!! My 1970 383 V8 Mopar double roller timing chain was a precision fit on the cam sprockets. I mounted the sprockets on the cam and crank with the timing chain assembled as a set with no slack at all. The fit was so tight I needed to coat them with engine oil just to slide them together. I asked the customer service guy if the Toyota timing chain had double rollers. He said yes. I am not dealing with experts here!!! SO, what do I do now? The way things are going, I will need a new tranny before the job is over.
Sincerely,
23rest
#22 Old 08-23-2009, 11:54 PM
EX-Chevy Guy

(Thread Starter)
Now I have a new engine.

Final update. Schaumburg Toyota ended up replacing the whole engine long block, and I paid them $3400 for the labor. Toyota actually paid for the parts, according to Schaumburg. So, now I have a new engine. They still think the engine should have 5 quarts of oil in it, while the owners manual says it takes 4 quarts. I left the extra oil in the engine this time. The vvti location is now moot. Before they changed the engine, I saw the old oil pump strainer screen. It had aluminum shavings in it that looked like chips cut from a lathe. I should have looked at the front cover to see where the aluminum came from. The journal bearings and balance shaft bearings were all scored from lack of oil, the screen clogged with metal probably blocked the oil to the pump. It is alkl done now. I had Schaumburg Toyota change the engine oil like they suggested after the first 1500 miles on the new engine. Now, I will use the Mobile 1 Synthetic oil for my own oil changes. This topic is closed, unless the new engine goes bad.
Sincerely,
23rest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > 1st Generation (2001-2007)