How to test a speed sensor - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > 1st Generation (2001-2007)

1st Generation (2001-2007) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 1st generation Toyota Highlanders.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2008, 08:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View jfwireless's Photo Gallery
How to test a speed sensor

I have been rebuilding a wrecked Toyota Highlander(2004) that was hit on the front wheel passenger's side. I have the car and front end back together but have the following icons on the dash. The engine runs fine and the car drives OK also.

ABS
TCS
Engine Malfunction
Trac Off
Tire Pressure alarm is flashing

I believe the front passenger's side speed sensor is bad as that wheel took the hit from the wreck. As I understand if a wheel sensor goes bad, it turns on the ABS light disabling ABS, and than when ABS is disabled it turns on the engine malfunction light, which than disables the TCS and turns on the TCS light on the dash.

As the ABS wheel speed sensors are used for tire pressure alarms by monitoring the speed of each tire, the tire pressure alarm also suggests a bad wheel speed sensor. Only 2008 Highlanders monitor tire pressure directly.

I have ordered a scan tool from scantool.net model Elmscan 5 USB ScanXL, and will read the trouble code/codes when it comes in, but I do believe the passenger's side front wheel sensor is bad.

The Elmscan scan tool looks like a good deal for the money and will allow me to read trouble codes, sensor data and turn off/reset any trouble or maintenance codes, we will see. The ScanXL software provides some nice graphical displays of engine parameters and ability to make some performance measurements.

Anybody using this scan tool?

Do any of the Toyota techs or others out there know how to test a wheel speed sensor on a 2004 Toyota Highlander?

Jim

Last edited by jfwireless; 11-06-2008 at 01:08 PM.
jfwireless is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2008, 07:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
New TN User

So I got the Elmscan scan tool and installed the software/drivers on the laptop and read the DTC(trouble code). It was P0500 Vehicle Speed Sensor "A". This means a defective speed sensor that is open or erratic. Now there are four speed sensors, one on each wheel. So I guess you have to be able to read the ABS system to identify which wheel sensor is bad. But in my case the right front wheel was hit so I am assuming that is the bad one.

The enhanced software I got with the scanner ScanXL will soon have the ability to look into the ECM sub-systems to read things like ABS, so in the future I should be able to get down into these systems as well with the scan tool to identify in this case the partucilar wheel sensor reported as bad.

I believe I can put my digital voltmeter across the speed sensor wires and manually spin the wheel and see the sensor working, I will try that next.

I am surprised there are not any Toyota mechanics on this forum. Does anybody know any Toyota forums that are more technical in nature for these types of questions?

Jim
Old 11-09-2008, 07:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
just a nobody

Supreme Member
View new echo owner's Photo Gallery
What is your ABS code?

N.E.O.
new echo owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by new echo owner View Post
What is your ABS code?

N.E.O.
I was not able to read the ABS code as the software I am using can't at the present time read sub-systems like ABS. The software ScanXL will soon be able to read ABS codes. That of course is my problem. I bought some inexpensive scan tools and software, but did not realize they had not developed the sub-systems features yet. That is what you get today for $150 . But soon this package will bring much more to the table and is cost effective enough for me to go ahead and buy for my home personal use as it works with all OBD-II protocols and compliant vehicles.

I will measure each wheel speed sensor independantly per the Toyota maintenance precedures a fellow forum member kindly sent me and see if I can figure it out for sure which wheel speed sensor is bad. I do believe it is a right passenger's side issue, but is it the speed sensor or the harness. The passenger side wheel got hit so hard the lower control arm was ripped off the lower ball stud, the drag link and inner tie rod both bent, the CV joint on the drive axle was ripped apart. So during the hit the harness could have been stretched and broken one of the shielded internal wires, or the speed sensor itself could have been damaged. Still assuming the passenger's side speed sensor is the issue.

A speed sensor is around $60 at rockauto.com, with the harness its around $160. Toyota has only one option the harness and speed sensor for about $150 at parts.com. So if it is the harness maybe I will call a local salvage yard, but for the speed sensor I will buy a new one. This speed sensor has been in use from the mid 90's on several different Toyota cars both as wheel speed sensors and transmission speed sensors.

Lets see what a litle time spent testing each wheel speed sensor and harness with my multimeter tells me.

Jim
Old 11-09-2008, 10:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
just a nobody

Supreme Member
You can jump terminals 4 and 13 in the diagnostic connector then count the blinking of the ABS light to retrieve the ABS codes.

N.E.O.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by new echo owner View Post
You can jump terminals 4 and 13 in the diagnostic connector then count the blinking of the ABS light to retrieve the ABS codes.

N.E.O.

N.E.O.

OK, thanks, I will give that a try.

Jim
Old 11-10-2008, 10:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
New TN User

OK, so I read the ABS trouble codes according to the suggestion of N.E.O.

I initially had the following trouble codes

31 right front wheel speed abnormal
33 right rear wheel speed abnormal
34 left rear wheel speed abnormal

So than I erased all the ABS trouble codes and started all over, I than only had the ABS trouble code of 31.

I guess during the accident or during the tow the two rear wheel speed sensors looked strange to the ABS system, so we will test the right front wheel sensor and go from there.

I followed the ABS reading and erasing procedures on www.auto-diagnostic-codes.com. This site also allowed me to decode the ABS trouble codes, very helpfull informative site.

Jim
Old 11-10-2008, 12:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
TN Post Wh*re

Supreme Member
View toyomoho's Photo Gallery
If you have the service data you can measure the wheel sensor ohm resistance, should be within a stated range.

Might compare front L and R sensor readings with each other.

Note: Front and rear sensors can be different and thus not have the same resistance.
toyomoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
New TN User

I tested the front passenger's side wheel speed sensor and found it to be open reading infinity on resistance. It should read from 600 ohms to 2.5 Kohms. I suspect the wire coming from the speed sensor got stretched during the accident and the wires are internally broken and separated.

I have ordered a new wheel speed sensor.

Jim
Old 11-11-2008, 02:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
just a nobody

Supreme Member
You are probably right on the borken wire, it doesn't take much to break them.

N.E.O.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
New TN User

OK, got the new wheel speed sensor today and installed it, all is good now. No more trouble codes, thanks to all.

Jim
Old 11-14-2008, 09:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
just a nobody

Supreme Member
Good to hear that!

Enjoy your ride, and drive safe!

N.E.O.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
New TN User

View tejadasammy's Photo Gallery
Where is the sensor?

I have the same make model and year as you. Where exactly is the speed sensor located?
tejadasammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > 1st Generation (2001-2007)