Toyota Nation Forum banner

Highlander engine toast-cyl head bolt threads stripped

51K views 48 replies 38 participants last post by  brimonhen 
#1 · (Edited)
I have an 03 Highlander, I'm original owner, full toyota service etc etc.
At 140,000km and 6 years in service it blew the head gasket. This is literally the first problem I've ever had with this car.
Repair is not possible . Engine replacement is the only option.
This seems to be an incredibly rare event with this vehicle
This is an expensive repair.
I am -respectfully- trying to get Toyota Canada to "participate" in the repair:sosad:

UPDATE
Wow. Toyota just got back to the dealer/service centre within a few hours to say they are standing behind their product and helping with the cost.
I am unsure of the details so far (as we don't know exactly what the final cost will be- and for sure I am on the hook for the cost of a head gasket replacement /major engine service etc which is fair enough).
But the bottom line is Toyota could have been more difficult, and they chose to keep a customer (we own 2 toyotas).
I'm unhappy the car failed... but pleased with Toyota's response.
Keep your service records, and when you find a good Toyota service centre, stick with them. If you have a problem, be polite.
As I said earlier, this has been our family workhorse vehicle in a harsh climate for 6 years and has been flawless up to last weekend.

See less See more
#2 ·
Keep your service records, and when you find a good Toyota service centre, stick with them. If you have a problem, be polite.
That's some of the best advice ever given here, especially about the service center.

Keep us all up-to-date about how the repair goes, and, BTW, welcome to TN!

TrailDust

#3 ·
Maybe not so rare. I have an '03 AWD Highlander 143k 4 cyl serviced only by Toyota dealer at prescribed intervals. Head blown on recent trip, mechanic found evidence of coolant leaking, rad was dry! loose bolts and strip bolt found in head. How can this happen when proper servicing done and the vehicle never abused? I'm hoping I can get some consideration from Toyota after having a $4k plus repair job. What do you think my chances are ?

#4 ·
It's good that Toyota is talking about some responsibility. I asked them about the same problem with my 02 Camry XLE 147K miles on it and they said "have never heard of that problem" . Did the repair myself for a total of under $1,000.. They would sell me a new short block for $2,600.

If interested in the repair send me a note.

Dave

#6 ·
Bagpipes story contd:
This was the 4 cyl engine. It was out of warranty, but Toyota participated in the cost of repair.
The service manager (at a big dealership) said he thought this was a very unusual event, approached toyota and had an answer within a few hours.
My portion of the cost was reasonable, and I am now a happy customer again.
Have had this vehicle since new, used 1 service centre, full maintenance records etc. Good honest relationship with service centre.

Up until this event, zero issues in 6 years. The worst thing I could say about this vehicle is that the turn signals are too quiet.
Very much doubt that this is a common problem as there are so many toyotas out there with this engine.

#7 ·
Great the dealer and Toyota are coming through to help! This is how Toyota support should be.

Unfortunately the issue is not so rare as others have posted here and on other sites.

Many owners are circumventing replacing the block by repairing the bolt holes with a steel insert. Something Toyota should have included in the original design of the block.

#9 ·
2003 Highlander 4cyl - leaky short block

I have an 03 Highlander, I'm original owner, full toyota service etc etc.
At 140,000km and 6 years in service it blew the head gasket. This is literally the first problem I've ever had with this car.
Repair is not possible . Engine replacement is the only option.
This seems to be an incredibly rare event with this vehicle
This is an expensive repair.
I am -respectfully- trying to get Toyota Canada to "participate" in the repair:sosad:

UPDATE
Wow. Toyota just got back to the dealer/service centre within a few hours to say they are standing behind their product and helping with the cost.
I am unsure of the details so far (as we don't know exactly what the final cost will be- and for sure I am on the hook for the cost of a head gasket replacement /major engine service etc which is fair enough).
But the bottom line is Toyota could have been more difficult, and they chose to keep a customer (we own 2 toyotas).
I'm unhappy the car failed... but pleased with Toyota's response.
As I said earlier, this has been our family workhorse vehicle in a harsh climate for 6 years and has been flawless up to last weekend.
I have a 2003, 4cyl engine Highlander. The exact same thing happened to me at 68,000 miles. While driving on the highway, I noticed the engine temp heading way up. I ended up towing it to the dealer. The dealer said 'bad water pump' and I paid of $600 to get that fixed. As soon as I drove it again after the repair, the same overheating issue happened. I took it right back to the dealer and the next day was told the short block was leaking coolant!

I was out of warranty, but the dealer said Toyota would 'help with the cost', just as I've read in many other forums on the internet. This is obviously a known issue with Toyota or I wouldn't be reading all these posts about the same 4cyl engine having leaky blocks. I was told their were stripped bolts on the short block and they replaced that. My share of the cost was $1050.

Yes...I'm thankful Toyota 'helped' with the cost, but I think it is just crap that they have a known issue and don't fix it at full cost to Toyota!!!

I had a 1992 Toyota 6 cyl 3VZ-E engine SR5 pickup that I bought new. The headgasket failed at 65,000 miles and I paid part of the cost to fix in 1996. Toyota 'helped' with the rest. Two years later in 1998, I was notified that Toyota was fixing all headgaskets on the 3VZ-E engines from '91 to '93..something like that..for free. If I had my receipt, they would have reimbursed me for my repair. But I didn't. This time I am saving my receipts, because this coolant/stripped short block screw/overheating issue is sounding about the same way. Toyota 'helps' with the cost because they know it is an issue, and finally when the pressure is on, they will fix them for free.

How can we put pressure on Toyota? Go to the NTHSA website for the Office of Defects Investigation and file an online complaint about this issue. http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/index.cfm is the site. First though...look up the 2003 Highlander and you will see complaints about this exact issue...short blocks with stripped screws!

The more people that file complaints, the more the pressure maybe on. I filed a complaint back in 1997 about my 3VZ-E engine headgasket issue.

For the 2003 Highlander on the NHTSA website I saw more common issues I have had. The drivers side sun visor not staying up...my steering wheel squeeks sometimes when turning the wheel...the awful ear hurting noise if you drive with only the rear passenger windows down...this government website is very valuable to see what other people have had in terms of complaints.

I love Toyota...my first pickup was a 1984 22R engine 2WD truck. Then, the 1992 SR5 V6 extracab pickup..and now the 2003 Highlander. After my latest issue with the short block stripped screws, and my blown headgasket...I'm seriously thinking after 25 years of switching to a different car maker.

I rambled a bit...thanks for reading this...and please post here if you also had the short block stripped screw/leaking coolant issue on your 4cyl 2003 Highlander.

#10 ·
Another one bites the dust

I'm here to join the gang of stripped threaders. My 03 Highlander (also 4cyl, 102,000 mi) bit the dust a few weeks ago when it overheated. I added coolant to the reservoir, which seemed to fix things temporarily. Then it overheated and wouldn't take coolant from the reservoir but the radiator was low. I replaced the thermostat and topped off the radiator and things looked great for a few days. When it overheated again and wouldn't take coolant from the reservoir I took it to a dealer for service. The first call from the service manager was to let me know the head gasket was blown - that'll be $1700+ please. Then I was told that stripped bolts were found when the head was removed and the engine would have to be replaced with a used engine (110,000 mi, $3800+). After I caught my breath I requested to try an insert to restore the threads. They tried a helicoil, which they said was a Toyota part, but it wouldn't hold. They are currently installing the replacement engine, which I no longer have any confidence in. During the process I had discovered this thread and requested that they contact Toyota for relief. I was told the factory rep declined to help. I found two other folks with same problem with the same vehicle on another site. One of them was able to fix the problem with an insert.

I am no longer a fan of Toyota products or service.

#12 ·
'03 Highlander - stripped threads

I'm here to join the gang of stripped threaders. My 03 Highlander (also 4cyl, 102,000 mi) bit the dust a few weeks ago when it overheated. I added coolant to the reservoir, which seemed to fix things temporarily. Then it overheated and wouldn't take coolant from the reservoir but the radiator was low. I replaced the thermostat and topped off the radiator and things looked great for a few days. When it overheated again and wouldn't take coolant from the reservoir I took it to a dealer for service. The first call from the service manager was to let me know the head gasket was blown - that'll be $1700+ please. Then I was told that stripped bolts were found when the head was removed and the engine would have to be replaced with a used engine (110,000 mi, $3800+). After I caught my breath I requested to try an insert to restore the threads. They tried a helicoil, which they said was a Toyota part, but it wouldn't hold. They are currently installing the replacement engine, which I no longer have any confidence in. During the process I had discovered this thread and requested that they contact Toyota for relief. I was told the factory rep declined to help. I found two other folks with same problem with the same vehicle on another site. One of them was able to fix the problem with an insert.

I am no longer a fan of Toyota products or service.
The more people that file complaints at the NTHSA website over time, the more likely Toyota will do a recall. Go to http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/index.cfm and file a complaint.

As my original post stated, I had a 1992 Toyota pickup that had a blown headgasket which about five years later, Toyota recalled and fixed for free.

All I can suggest now is to save your receipts for the work done, and go file that complaint with the NTHSA!

#11 ·
Yet another unhappy Toyota victim

My 2001 Highlander 139,723 miles, always serviced at Toyota. Started leaking oil and coolent. Short version from Toyota service was warped block and head. And oh by the way we found 3 stripped head bolts. Toyota factor rep was called "139K miles, to old, nothing we can do, owners problem." It will cost me $4,000 to fix. I have read the other posting here about this stripped head bolt problem. A Toyota design flaw? Has anyone looked into starting a Class Action Suit against Toyota?

#15 ·
My '03, 135,000 miles had same problem. I originally had a leaking radiator. The vehicle ran fine for awhile after replacing it. When the engine again started to run hot, my mechanic-friend replaced the tstat. Then he replaced the head gasket. While doing so he said that one of the bolts had a heliocoil. I purchased the vehicle new. It had 11 miles on the odometer when purchased. Doesn't make sense to have an insert on a new engine. I believe that there was a manufacturing problem or quality control issue. The letters on this forum have helped alot. I will next try to drill, tap and install new bolts. I had a Camry prior to this vehicle and have had few problems. I'm still a fan of these vehicles. I did, however, lodge a complaint with NTHSA. Thanks for the tip pdxsk. I now have a another reference before purchasing my next vehicle. Question: is it reasonable to have a heliocoil inserted in a new engine?

#16 ·
So true about sticking with one dealer. I purchased my Highlander from a dealer 3 hours away when there was 2 dealers 45 minutes on either side of me. I took the Highlander back to the original dealer twice, once because I happened to be in the area when the first oil change was due and another time to have the seat replaced. The rest of the servicing was done by another dealer closer to home. I found they never went out of their way to help me, never provided a loaner car, always took longer than expected, they weren't flexible and they always made it seem like I was inconveniencing them.. I bought my Highlander from the other dealer and I've never been happier.. they will go out of their way to service my car.. and they always return my calls!

If you're not going to fix the Highlander, you're not going to get much for it. You would be better off repairing it and selling it with a new engine. If your buyer knows anything about these vehicles they know the body will last forever.. so they're basically buying a new car.

#17 ·
Head Gasket blown on my 2003 Highlander as well. Threads stripped out on 3 bolts on back of the head. I have 135,599 miles on my vehicle. I loved it until seeing the number of similar complaints. I also filed a complaint with the NHTSA. I am still waiting to hear from Toyota on this problem. Are the thread inserts worth it?

#18 ·
Head Gasket blown on my 2003 Highlander as well. Threads stripped out on 3 bolts on back of the head. I have 135,599 miles on my vehicle. I loved it until seeing the number of similar complaints. I also filed a complaint with the NHTSA. I am still waiting to hear from Toyota on this problem. Are the thread inserts worth it?
I don't know what NHTSA would do about this, it's not a safety issue. Check out the camry forums, there's a lot more help about this problem there. From what I've read, thread inserts are the way to go, but you need to do all the holes and not just the 3 you know are stripped. It's not a death sentence... when you're done the head will be fastened more securely than when it left the Toyota factory. Good luck!

#19 ·
Hey all! My 2004 Highlander just took a dump on me @ get this 86,000 miles! And here is the clincher,,,,,they say it is my fault! Longo Toyota said that the "head bolts" stripped out causing the water pump to fail, warping the head and causing also water and oil to mix and that the engine is a totoal loss! But get this,,,,,,it will only cost me 7,500,,,,thats right 7,500 to replace! We kept out vehicle in tip top condition and even had the extended warranty up to 90,000. I am trying to fight this,,,,,,can someone help me in what I can do next. I have already contacted (called) and wrote to the insurance company and they are going to let me speak to their attorney. please help, I have heard this is a common defect on the 4cyl engine-dbg33

#20 ·
I'd suggest taking it to another dealer. Just a personal opinion but I think Longo sucks. I've dealt with them before, and I've had friends and family who have either purchased there or had service there and the unanimous opinion is they suck. If you can get some recommendations for better dealers in your area.

#21 ·
common problem?

I have a 2006 highlander, 4-cyl, which started leaking coolant last Monday, brought it directly to dealer - they said it was head gasket. After they start putting everything back together with new gasket, they tell me that two of the head bolts are stripped and I need a new short block, or entire engine. Should that have been caught when everything was being taken apart? Who do I call at Toyota about this if it is a common problem?

#22 ·
Stripped Head bolts in 2.4L Highlander, 2002

I am just doing this right now, installing 10 Timecerts in the block with 150K miles. Pulled threads in #2,3,4,5,&6 based on bolt tightening sequence. Some are saying the cause is the foam insulator behind the intake manifold, others are saying it's inferior metallurgy or design. I think they just should have used a 12mm bolt instead of 11mm thread. $400 Timecert kit is expensive, but the holes are 3" down and they need to be enlarged for the insert to get down to the thread repair area. Very messy job, I should have vacuumed instead of blown compressed air in hindsight. I did make a protective sheath using contact paper, however. Had to machine surface of head & put in valve stem seals at the same time. Also doing water pump, radiator, cap, thermostat, timing kit, in addition to the headgasket set. By the way, the only sign was loss of coolant and finally overheating. With water, engine ran fine and smooth to the shop.

#23 ·
I am just doing this right now, installing 10 Timecerts in the block with 150K miles. Pulled threads in #2,3,4,5,&6 based on bolt tightening sequence. Some are saying the cause is the foam insulator behind the intake manifold, others are saying it's inferior metallurgy or design. I think they just should have used a 12mm bolt instead of 11mm thread. $400 Timecert kit is expensive, but the holes are 3" down and they need to be enlarged for the insert to get down to the thread repair area. Very messy job, I should have vacuumed instead of blown compressed air in hindsight. I did make a protective sheath using contact paper, however. Had to machine surface of head & put in valve stem seals at the same time. Also doing water pump, radiator, cap, thermostat, timing kit, in addition to the headgasket set. By the way, the only sign was loss of coolant and finally overheating. With water, engine ran fine and smooth to the shop.
please take some pictures for a job like this :)

#24 ·
Glad I found this site and especially this thread.

I'm in the market for an SUV and have pretty much decided on the Highlander. Since I also ride motorcycles, "vanilla" -- the word most used by owners to describe the vehicle -- is fine by me.

But this bolt issue has me worried.

Is/was it just an issue on the 2003 4 cylinder or also on the 6? And if it was an issue on the 6, was it solved with the 2004 model?

I'm looking at both model years (but just the larger engine) and want to know if I should figure a sleeve insert into the price of the vehicle? Not adding that cost, it's a great price point for me w/ Highlanders under 60K miles...

Thanks in advance.

CJ

#29 ·
I think the stripped head bolt problem affects 4 cyl engines. Have not read of it on the V6 engines.

The v6s are pretty solid - pre-2004 V6 engines can be prone to oil sludge issue if they are run using longer than recommended oil change intervals.
Any engine can be prone to sludge if not following recommended oil change intervals. Especially in extremely humid or cold climates.

#26 ·
But not all 3.0 V6 1MZ-FE VVTi engines turn to sludge. Agree with not skimping on quality oil changed at appropriate intervals. (not hard to do yourself)

I'm running one right now (2001) - burns zero oil, even after 10 years. No smoke on startup, none while running (obviously, or oil would drop). Have followed the HL all the way to Sask (~800 km each way) just this summer so can confirm nothing out the tailpipe.

As I also run a Tacoma, I notice the HL oil stays much cleaner appearing for the same # of Km as compared to the 1GR-FE in my truck.

I know colour of oil does not = anything, but just find it an interesting phenomenon, that's all.

G

#27 ·
2003 Toyota Highlander Head Bolts Stripped Out

Our 2003 Highlander started leaking fluid on the garage floor and we thought it was water from the air conditioner, only to find out it was coolant. We took the car into our SAE certified mechanic who pressurized the radiator and found right away we had a bad leak on the back side of the block and from looking at it thought it might be an intake gasket or even a head gasket.

Well we knew we had to do something as we were dead in the water until we did so, so we had him tear into it only to find out just like everyone out on the Internet that is talking about the head bolt problem being stripped out from the factory, we had the same issue. I called our local dealership where we bought the car (Rodland in Everett WA) and Steve in Service said they were aware of the problem but Toyota wasn't standing behind the problem but then said we could call Toyota Corporate and he gave me their number. After going through some hoops I finally reached a human being and she stated Toyota would NOT be helping us... I said we bought the car brand new and it only has 105k miles on it and we have changed the oil every 3,000 - 3,500k and it has been garaged the whole time we have owned it.

I then stated this is NOT a minor problem and that there is no way we could have caused the head bolts to be stripped and of course it could have only happened at the time of manufacturing. She didn't care and said Toyota could not help us! Well... we went on the Internet and see there is hundreds if not thousands of people complaining about the same issue with NO help from Toyota, just crazy if you ask me. I found the engine will start leaking around 90k to 120k, well we are at 105k so just my luck it cost my family $2,750.00 to get repaired. Our mechanic who has been wonderful through all this said the only fix he could find without buying a $4k motor was to buy a Heli Coil kit out of California that was guaranteed to fix/stop the leaking. He had to spend several hours drilling out the block making sure it was straight and lined up so the new bolts wouldn't strip going in.

Well, that was the fix and $2750.00 later we have a 2003 Highlander with a 2.4L 4 cylinder engine that no longer leaks. We were so made at Toyota we went up and traded the car in for a Cadillac SRX and will NEVER buy another Toyota as long as we live! Ever... In fact we are telling everybody we can to do the same and how Toyota put the screws to us knowing full well this was their issue not the customer who has been keeping the car maintained and has all the records to prove it. Shame on you Toyota, we hope you go out of business real soon so you can stop screwing over the millions of loyal customers. You're NOT who you used to be and it is easy to see you only care about the numbers and not the customers who helped you get where you are... Well, that can change, and we HOPE it does. I know my two companies would never treat customers like you do... KW. Everett, WA

#28 ·
add another to this list-'02 highlander-stripped bolts/blown head

Original owner of '02 AWD w 4 cyl engine.
All maintenance performed on schedule with 3K oil change intervals.
Late November, head blew, severe coolant leak.
Diagnosed as bolts that backed off/stripped.
Mechanic had to take off head, have it re-milled & tested, buy a "kit" from Toyota for this repair, new H2O pump etc. Cost $2400.
Called Toyota "Customer Experience" Department ( what a funny name for people who don't give a hoot about their customers).said they could do nothing.
Ended up writing a letter to Lenz ( President of Toyota USA) ---some other guy called me back to tell me Toyota will do nothing for you.
Have filed NTHSB complaint ( there were a number of others with same issue-you may want to go look at the site)
Also own an "09 Camry.
Toyota has lost this customer forever.
Firstly, this board ( and other similar ones) countless other vehicle owners with identical problem.
Secondly if Toyota says there's no problem, why do they sell a "kit" just for this specific repair.
Toyota is doing everything possible to avoid responsibility for a problem that they should assume.

#31 ·
Toyota recommends the use of a Time Sert kit, not a helicoil. The Time Serts have been around for a long time and will withstand the torque values required of head bolts. They became "famous" in the fixing of stripped head bolts in Cadillac Northstar V8's which have a much higher failure rate than the Toyota engine. There is a TSB available that gives exact instruction in the correct use of the kit and which bolts require the inserts. The 4 outer most bolt holes (each outer corner) are not supposed to modified and do not usually strip out. We've done several in our dealer and have not had a comeback.

#33 ·
I have a 07 Highlander with the 2.4 with 49k miles and reading all this makes me wonder is this going to happen to me....I've always changed oil with Mobil one 5w20 every 5k miles and changed coolent at 30k miles...I have not read of a 07 with the head bolts stripping .....yet.
Whats the best thing I can do to make sure it dont?
It looks like you have about a 5-10 percent chance of this head bolt stripping ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.