Toyota Nation Forum banner

How many miles on your Highlander?

169K views 358 replies 214 participants last post by  Mgeorge 
#1 ·
Let's see who has the most miles, and how many averages miles are on our HL's.

Create a list like this:

1) Year and Model
2) Mileage
3) Any mechanical problems

I'll start:

1) 2003 Highlander V6 Limited
2) 170,000 Miles
3) Temperature knob failed (easy fix), Some howling sounds. Overall A+ Car!

#3 ·
Yes, I know. The first two years I had the car I put on 50,000 per year. The interior is just starting to catch up with itself. Otherwise perfect car in my opinion!

#117 ·
1. 2002 Limited
2. 97,500
3. Replaced rear rotors after 7 years. Other than that just regular maintenance.

Love the highlander. Will buy it again in a heartbeat.

be careful & watch the coolant when it hits 120-130k
they have the same 2AZ-FE engine that the camry & rav4's have with stripped headbolts

Google ...2AZ-FE and you will be supprised
it got me and i had to rebuild the engine...

#10 ·
Please post your fix! I'm having the same issue with mine! I'm sure other members are having the same issue as well.

#11 · (Edited)
2005 V6 2WD
83k miles
Purchased new in Jun '05. General maintenance only and no problems except the steering column clunk that just appeared.

Update: Aug 22, 2011
-------------------------
Turned over 110k this month and still no issues. I'm overdue for a timing belt/water pump change. Will probably get it to the dealer for that and all of the accessory belts before the end of the year. I'll probably tackle the spark plugs myself. Funny... I don't notice the steering clunk I did a few years back.

#15 · (Edited)
2002 Highlander V6 2wd
replaced O2 sensor thats about it

yet to do: replace timing belts and factory waterpump (just because it has over 100,000 miles), change the original spark plugs (there is hardly any electrode left) and find out why my passenger side rear window wont go down (nephew got sick and didnt roll down the window in time.. I think some of that got down in the door gumming/rusting the mechanism.. Ewwwww) LOL

#16 ·
2002 Highlander V6 2wd
replaced O2 sensor thats about it

yet to do: replace timing belts and factory waterpump (just because it has over 100,000 miles), change the original spark plugs (there is hardly any electrode left) and find out why my passenger side rear window wont go down (nephew got sick and didnt roll down the window in time.. I think some of that got down in the door gumming/rusting the mechanism.. Ewwwww) LOL
That is terribly funny and sick at the same time :D! Please keep us posted/updated in your upcoming upgrades/mods!

#19 · (Edited)
01 highlander v6 awd - 167000 km's (so getting close to 105,000miles)

had the timing belt changed about 10,000 miles ago

only other issue was changing out the rear wheel bearing (stupid design!), and a vehicle speed sensor code that pops up when winter time comes, otherwise it runs smoothly issue free.

the car has been a magnet for accidents, but all were non fault ones.
- was going straight, some woman decided to gun it thru a left turn and took out my front bumper, no frame damage but rebar was dented a little
- car was key'd while parked and having dinner
- rear ended lightly
- rear ended and then sandwiched by a f350 duelly (surprisingly the the rear and front was pretty good, but the accord in front of me suddenly became a hatch back with no trunk)
- hit n run

even though with all the accidents, no frame damage, and the car is solid. beats the caravan we had before.

#20 ·
142k miles. replaced tires, brake pads, front rotors, lower ball joints, drive belts, transmission fluid, headlight bulbs. That's it.

#21 ·
So do I have the highest amount of miles? Unfortunately, I was looking for someone with higher miles than me so I could get an idea of how long these will last and what problems become more evident the farther we go.

#22 · (Edited)
well all i know is the rear wheel bearing has a really stupid design.

it works by having 2 seals inner and outer one, meaning that if either one of the seals breaks, the whole wheel bearing is shot.

the only other issues ive heard with the v6 1mz fe or whatever engine code it is, is that there seems to be a big of sluge build up (according to the rx300 guys) they basically ahve the same engine and chasis i believe.

havent had any major issues. the highlander is my boot-around-car my dog loves the rear seat windows, as they roll all the way down making it easy for him to stick his head way out.

#24 ·
Yea I've never had this sludge problem, but yet again, I don't know what I could look for without opening up the whole engine. I've also heard about the wheel bearing problem, but haven't had to deal with that either. And my dog loves the windows as well! :lol:

#26 · (Edited)
Just bought a '04 Higlander with 106k

Just bought a new to me '04 Higlander V6 4WD, 3rd row,moon roof, tow package. Drives real nice, brakes a bit mushy. Going to replace the pads and bleed the fluid.

PO replaced the timing belt and water pump at 89k. Is 105k the timing belt interval for the 3.3L V6 correct? What is the interval for the plugs?:confused: They are Iridium right, and I have to take the intake out to get to them, guess will need new intake gaskets.

They said replaced both cats at 89k as well, did the Catalytic converters issues with the cats on these vehicles?

#29 · (Edited)
New member here...
  1. 2001 Highlander AWD V6
  2. 163,000 miles
  3. Non-maintenance issues include failed oxygen sensor at around 100k, rear brake caliper seized at around 105k, replaced rear axle assembly to fix ABS activation problem (expensive), and had temp control panel recently fixed. Think I've dodged the sludge issue, I just make sure I get regular oil changes.

#30 · (Edited)
Best car I've ever owned!

1) 2002 Highlander V6 AWD
2) 284,000 miles
3) Besides routine maintenance (belts, tunes, fluid changes, hoses) Oxygen sensor has been out a couple of years - may replace that this summer myself, Frozen tie rods recently replaced so could be aligned, A/C recently got warmer so getting it looked at next week. Short segment of exhaust pipe replaced between converter / muffler (exhaust shop did it off the books for $50 and saved having to get a new converter section $$$). Brakes - multiple Can someone explain to me why even "high end" parts on brakes jobs never last as long as factory originals? Every car I've owned - same story with brakes. I get the same old aw shucks BS explanations from brake shops too.

Cruise control has been wacking out about a year now. May post on forum if shop can't fix when they look at A/C.

Only run synthetic oil since new. Started with Mobil 1, then Penzoil for a while then back to Mobil 1 Extended

#32 ·
1) 2002 Highlander V6 AWD
2) 284,000 miles
3) Besides routine maintenance (belts, tunes, fluid changes, hoses) Oxygen sensor has been out a couple of years - may replace that this summer myself, Frozen tie rods recently replaced so could be aligned, A/C recently got warmer so getting it looked at next week. Short segment of exhaust pipe replaced between converter / muffler (exhaust shop did it off the books for $50 and saved having to get a new converter section $$$). Brakes - multiple Can someone explain to me why even "high end" parts on brakes jobs never last as long as factory originals? Every car I've owned - same story with brakes. I get the same old aw shucks BS explanations from brake shops too.

Cruise control has been wacking out about a year now. May post on forum if shop can't fix when they look at A/C.

Only run synthetic oil since new. Started with Mobil 1, then Penzoil for a while then back to Mobil 1 Extended
what fluids have you changed and when?

Can you supply us with what maintenance schedule you have been following at what mileage interval?
30,60,90,120k miles?

#31 · (Edited)
1) 2006 sport v6 awd bought dec 2010
2) 39146 miles 63000k's
3) other than a light clunk noise from rear on slalom turns (left, right, left only) and power steering fluid is black which is getting flushed on Tuesday. Best car I have ever owned and I've only driven if for 5500miles.

edit: turns out the clunk was from the spare tyre not being done up tight enough :facepalm:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.