Where is Bank 1 Sensor 1 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > 1st Generation (2001-2007)

1st Generation (2001-2007) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 1st generation Toyota Highlanders.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2009, 08:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View midnight02's Photo Gallery
Question Where is Bank 1 Sensor 1

My check engine light is on and I went and had autozone pull the code.. came up with a code and when they looked it up it showed that the bank 1 sensor 1 was bad.. So i go and get the sensor.. when I went online Autozone was nice enough to post pic a showing which was the bank 1 sensor 1.. so I replaced the one that they show here as the bank 1 sensor 1:

****This photo is only a general guideline. This is from a V8 equipped vehicle, not the highlander. California Highlander's have 4 sensors while the other 49 states only have 3****

But check engine light just came back on.. so I think I changed the wrong one.. a quick google search came up that its the BACK sensor.. can anyone confirm this???

Also I got a Bosch sensor.. I read someone say they don't work as good as the factory Denso.. but will it still work though?

BTW Autozone did have the Denso sensor for $368!! and had to be special ordered.. and I always thought the dealership was the one that usually was smoking crack!!! :confused
(upgrades to come)

Last edited by sweeneyp; 06-24-2012 at 10:27 PM. Reason: adding picture notation
midnight02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2009, 09:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Official TN Member

OK searching another forums I found my own answer..

Quote:
Bank 1 is next to the firewall bank 2 is next to the radiator. Bank 1 refers to cyl. 1 side and bank 2 refers to cyl. 2 side. If you replaced the sensor next to radiator for a code for bank 1 sensor 1 then you have replaced the wrong one.
I guess I will be tearing off the manifold tonight to change the sensor.. i have to replace the back sparkplugs anyways..
(upgrades to come)
Old 06-30-2009, 09:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $117300
View lenore's Photo Gallery
would not suggest the bosch, for some reason the 1mze engine doesnt like them. buy from online or elsewhere the OEM denso....seen too many posts of people fighting codes and ended up replacing the bosch and fixed problem.
lenore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Here is a denso at partsgeek.com

http://www.partsgeek.com/cart/\

another at oxygensenor.com

http://www.automedicsupply.com/catal...?&pkey=1418341

Last edited by lenore; 06-30-2009 at 09:21 AM.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Yeah I found the Denso on Rockauto for $136.. I'm going to try the Bosch for now since autozone wont take back any electronic device/sensor once it has been installed. I'll replace the Bosch with the Denso if the Bosch gives me fits..
(upgrades to come)
Old 07-02-2009, 09:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Official TN Member

USA

I was seriously about to lose my religion with that stupid sensor!!! Well actually just the connector.. I could easily get to the sensor but I couldn't get 2 hands on the stupid connection to pinch the clip and pull at the same time.. I ended up going crawling under the car while my dad was on top with a freaking long screw driver.. he used the upper intake as a fulcrum and pushed the tab down with the point of the screw driver while I pulled out the connector while I was underneath.. took about an hour to figure out how to get the connector lose.. after that it took about 1 minute to replace the sensor..

Check engine light off!!!!

next week.. tackling the rear spark plugs!!!
(upgrades to come)

Last edited by midnight02; 07-02-2009 at 09:05 AM.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Oh the rear plugs are fun. You will need a 3inch extension, If they dont have 125k miles on them dont bother. If you do, use only the Denso or NGK iridium plugs. Do not use Bosch, you will regret it.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Its got 109,000 and when I pulled one.. the electrode looked worn but also having a bad sensor may have fouled the plugs on the bank that the sensor was bad so I wanted to just go ahead and replace them.. going back with NGK Iridium.. I learned a long time ago that Bosch plugs suck..

BTW can't be nearly as fun as changing the back most plugs on a 5.4L Ford Expedition with rear A/C.. the back side of the engine is under the firewall.. plus a there is a maze of vacuum lines for the rear A/C... all the while balancing yourself ON TOP of the engine... the rear plugs you have to go by feel, unbolt and remove the coil pack and then to get to the plug you need socket to a 6" extension to a universal to another 12" entension to a socket wrench.. entire job took 9 hours.. my old roomate said it takes him an hour tops (he's a Ford Diesel tech)
(upgrades to come)
Old 07-02-2009, 10:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Yep been there, I changed the plugs on the 5.4 3valve on my F150. Had to worry constantly about breaking them off. Great design ford....

As for the highlander, taking the air IACV assembly off would provide you better access. I didnt, and the rear plugs are a nightmare. Took me about 2 hours.
Make sure you be very careful with the cops, and inspect them with a flashlight for corrosion. I put dielectric grease in them before plugging them back on the plug.

Last edited by lenore; 07-02-2009 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
Official TN Member

bank1 sensor 1
Old 08-14-2009, 08:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
New TN User

View polestar090384's Photo Gallery
My is highlander 03 v6, I got a code P0135. That's bank1 sensor1. Can anyone post the pix where it located? Is it on the driver side or passenger side? I see one on top. Is it a corrected one? Thanks!
polestar090384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Bank 1 sensor 1 is just below the exhaust manifold on the back side of the engine towards the fire wall. It's easiest to get to the sensor from underneith the car.
(upgrades to come)

Last edited by midnight02; 08-14-2009 at 08:38 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:42 AM   #13 (permalink)
New TN User

View polestar090384's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by polestar090384 View Post
My is highlander 03 v6, I got a code P0135. That's bank1 sensor1. Can anyone post the pix where it located? Is it on the driver side or passenger side? I see one on top. Is it a corrected one? Thanks!
After checking many sites, I found two kinds of Denso O2 Sensor Part #: 234-4064 and 234-9009, but the second one is more expensive than the 1st one, also the second one is the one which they use as the OEM.
My question is Can I use the first one(234-4064) for my car, and will it fix my problem? and what is the difference between them?
polestar090384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 06:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
mjt
New TN User

View mjt's Photo Gallery
Bank1 Sensor1 0135

Do you need to remove the intake plenum on an 2004. I went to the dealership and they want about 240 for labor and 220 for part. What the heck do they charge for spark plugs. I removed the plenum for the plugs and seems to me the O2 sensor is about as hard to change as one spark plug even if you do need to remove the plenum. Plenum gasket is $17. These cars dont even compare to American when it comes to repairs. Some lousy designs.Oh thats right it only needs to be done once in the lifetime of the vehicle.

Last edited by mjt; 12-17-2010 at 06:20 PM.
mjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:34 PM   #15 (permalink)
New TN User

View Rotarypilot's Photo Gallery
Hi all,

Just want to clear up a matter that's been on my mind. Been changing sensors on my 03 V6 Highlander and I was just curious are all of the sensors the same style and part number except the post cat sensor? I know for sure 2 of the four sensors are the same male thread style and part number as I have visually verified it, and it makes sense to me that all three pre-cat sensors would be the same with the post cat sensor being the only one that is different because it is a flange style attachment.

Is that accurate? Also perhaps we should make this post a sticky in the forum? Or create a new one that is a sticky?
Rotarypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > 1st Generation (2001-2007)