'05 Highlander, 50k miles currently...how many yrs will it last---major maintenance - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
1st Generation (2001-2007) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 1st generation Toyota Highlanders.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-11-2009, 07:57 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
'05 Highlander, 50k miles currently...how many yrs will it last---major maintenance

I bought my '05 Highlander brand new and now 4 1/2 yrs later I have 50k miles on it. No major issues other than 2 yrs ago I the dealer told the front transfer case was leaking so they had to take out the transmission to get to it.

How many miles do you have on your Highlander?
What major maintenance have you had on yours?

I see people on this forum talking about driving 175k-200k+ miles so I wonder overall what have they experienced over the years?

If I drive 11,500 miles per year how long do you think my Highlander will last? I plan on keeping it until the tires fall off....=) Mainly because of its reliability and overall I love it.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-11-2009, 08:40 PM
Do you feel lucky?

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Thanked 4,824 Times in 3,364 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
IMO, as long as you perform your regular maintenance and don't abuse your baby, there's no reason at all it can't go 20+ years or 300-400K miles.

-------------------------

2008 Highlander Base 4WD
2002 Avalon XL
1987 Suzuki Samurai 4X4 - Treading where no Jeep can follow....
#3 Old 10-11-2009, 08:50 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailDust View Post
IMO, as long as you perform your regular maintenance and don't abuse your baby, there's no reason at all it can't go 20+ years or 300-400K miles.
I noticed your Highlander is a '08. Your first one? What wa the highest mileage Highlander you have seen.
#4 Old 10-11-2009, 09:27 PM
Do you feel lucky?

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Thanked 4,824 Times in 3,364 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur1 View Post
I noticed your Highlander is a '08. Your first one? What wa the highest mileage Highlander you have seen.
Yep, it's my first one and I'm totally in love. Like I always tell people, since getting my Highlander my Avalon has become a garage queen.... Got 22,000 on it after 18 months and no complaints. As for others' mileage, I would swear I read a few months back that a member had 200,000+ miles. Thought you might be interested too in this past thread on the same subject.

-------------------------

2008 Highlander Base 4WD
2002 Avalon XL
1987 Suzuki Samurai 4X4 - Treading where no Jeep can follow....
#5 Old 10-13-2009, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
I plan on keeping it until the tires fall off....=)
Once the tires fall off you can replace them as well and keep driving

2009 Kluger V6 AWD Sport/Debadged/30% tint/V-LED LPF/White Night RLS
#6 Old 10-13-2009, 10:59 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2004 Highlander w/40,891 miles

No issues here with HL. bought used in 2007..Just change the oil every 5000 miles. and go to Toyota dealer.

Peace

hector
#7 Old 10-14-2009, 10:19 PM
Official TN Member

I've posted this in another thread....

wifes daily driver 02 awd v6 highlander.....has over 140000miles and the only issue we've had was dirty idle control valve and 3 tail light bulbs. It has been the most reliable vehicle we've ever owned.No CEL or any electrical issues either. Ofcourse I always get the dealer to change the oil every 4-5000miles, tranny fluid every 35000miles, 4wd transfercase every 40,000miles (i should do it more often).Also replaced timing belt and water pump at 90000miles. All suspension components are still solid as well. We're going to keep it til 200,000 miles.

Its like a woman....you treat her well on regular basis and she'll return the favor for long time.

Last edited by liquidsilver; 10-14-2009 at 11:59 PM.
#8 Old 10-17-2009, 10:30 AM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
I bought my '05 Highlander brand new and now 4 1/2 yrs later I have 50k miles on it. No major issues other than 2 yrs ago I the dealer told the front transfer case was leaking so they had to take out the transmission to get to it.

How many miles do you have on your Highlander?
What major maintenance have you had on yours?

I see people on this forum talking about driving 175k-200k+ miles so I wonder overall what have they experienced over the years?

If I drive 11,500 miles per year how long do you think my Highlander will last? I plan on keeping it until the tires fall off....=) Mainly because of its reliability and overall I love it.

Thanks in advance.
Highlander is a very reliable, awesome suv...thanks guys
#9 Old 11-26-2011, 06:40 PM
New TN User

Premature death of a Highlander

I am the owner of two 2003 Toyotas Higherlanders purchased (from Toyota as certified used) for our two college age daughters to drive the 6 and 14 hours distances between college and home....This Thanksgiving weekend saw one overheat on I 75 near Gainsville FL stranding our daughter on the highway - every parents nightmare. After being towed to Toyota we were told that it would cost between $5,000 - $7000 to fix.....or they would give us a $1,500 trade in value on another vehicle....We bought them for reliability and dependability and have consistently serviced them at Toyota dealorships so we are feeling very shocked and worried about the other vehicle and now facing having to face the purchase of an unexpected vehicle we don't know what to do...should we buy toyota again...Is this reasonable to expect a highlander to fail so spectacularly after a recent service which showed no problem and leave us with a essentially worthless vehicle?? The car has 103,000 miles on it (just out of the warranty..how ironic is that?)
#10 Old 11-27-2011, 11:22 AM
Official TN Member

hey all i drive a 01' limited and shes got just shy of 200,000 miles on her. No hugge problems just the norm, timing belt at 126,000 and we had the shocks and struts replaced about 5 years ago (my dad the old owner didnt care of her at all) and now im starting to have some O2 sensor peoblems other than that my baby drives wonderfully. As for EGlencross i know that most people think that servicing your car at the dealership is the best way, but i havent taken my baby to the dealership in almost 8 years just because i dont like their "minimum" amout they have to get you to pay per visit. (as bad as this sounds they may have been the ones to cause it to fail so spictacularly) id sugest finding a reliable mechanic in your area instead of going to the dealer.
#11 Old 11-27-2011, 12:25 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EGlencross View Post
I am the owner of two 2003 Toyotas Higherlanders purchased (from Toyota as certified used) for our two college age daughters to drive the 6 and 14 hours distances between college and home....This Thanksgiving weekend saw one overheat on I 75 near Gainsville FL stranding our daughter on the highway - every parents nightmare. After being towed to Toyota we were told that it would cost between $5,000 - $7000 to fix.....or they would give us a $1,500 trade in value on another vehicle....We bought them for reliability and dependability and have consistently serviced them at Toyota dealorships so we are feeling very shocked and worried about the other vehicle and now facing having to face the purchase of an unexpected vehicle we don't know what to do...should we buy toyota again...Is this reasonable to expect a highlander to fail so spectacularly after a recent service which showed no problem and leave us with a essentially worthless vehicle?? The car has 103,000 miles on it (just out of the warranty..how ironic is that?)

I am sorry that happened to your daughter. Always scary when a car fails with a child in it far from home.

Its critical to teach new drivers to pull over and turn off the engine almost immediately when a car overheats. Even an 2-3 minutes of driving before pulling over and turning off the engine after it overheats is enough to badly damage the motor.

That's true of any car maker and any engine. When the over heat warning comes on, if you don't pull over and turn off the engine almost immediately you stand a reasonable chance of badly damaging the motor. And then a $400 tow and repair instead turns into $4000 tow and repair for 2-3 minutes extra driving time.

Last edited by jabberwock; 11-27-2011 at 12:28 PM.
#12 Old 11-27-2011, 12:40 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gehnecide View Post
hey all i drive a 01' limited and shes got just shy of 200,000 miles on her. No hugge problems just the norm, timing belt at 126,000 and we had the shocks and struts replaced about 5 years ago (my dad the old owner didnt care of her at all) and now im starting to have some O2 sensor peoblems other than that my baby drives wonderfully. As for EGlencross i know that most people think that servicing your car at the dealership is the best way, but i havent taken my baby to the dealership in almost 8 years just because i dont like their "minimum" amout they have to get you to pay per visit. (as bad as this sounds they may have been the ones to cause it to fail so spictacularly) id sugest finding a reliable mechanic in your area instead of going to the dealer.
can you outline what minor/major maintenance you have done at what mileage interval?

2008 Toyota Rav4 Sport - Flint Mica
2005 Toyota Highlander V6 - Bluestone Metallic
#13 Old 11-28-2011, 04:22 AM
Official TN Member

Was it the 3.0 l or the 3.3?

They are generally pretty reliable, even at very high kms/miles. It could be attributed to a number of other factors.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

Toyota Kluger KX-S (Australia), 3.5 litre V6, nudge bar, all weather mats, Thule roof racks including bike rack
#14 Old 12-06-2011, 11:50 AM
2004 I4 Highlander

Definitely something caused it to overheat. It could have lost coolant through a head gasket or a leak somewhere. Was it the I4, perhaps the head bolts gave.

The engine should be the 3.0 or the 2.4. I imagine a good private mechanic could do the job for half what the dealer wants, and with a new engine it should be as good as it was if not better. Unfortunately, finding a good mechanic 12 hours from home is no easy task.

Sorry for your bad experience, but it makes little sense to assume your second Highlander will have issues when you don't even know what the issue was with the first. A rock could have hit the radiator and sprung a leak for all we know???
#15 Old 06-11-2014, 10:09 PM
New TN User

My 2006 highlander hybrid has 196,000 miles on it. Still going strong no problems had a couple recalls. Broke down once because of a recall. Other than that all it needed was all new rotors and a new rear shock. I do maintenance every 5,000 miles. Bought it brand new and love it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > 1st Generation (2001-2007)