'04 highlander - won't start - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
1st Generation (2001-2007) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 1st generation Toyota Highlanders.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-23-2009, 11:40 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
'04 highlander - won't start

The battery died on my highlander. We replaced it, but now the highlander won't start. The red light next to the steering wheel no longer flashes. Do I need to reset something since we had to replace the battery? We know the battery was dead previously because none of the electrical would work, but since we've replaced it the electrical works again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-23-2009, 12:01 PM
Do you feel lucky?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Thanked 4,778 Times in 3,328 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
to Toyota Nation!

Make sure the contacts at the end of your positive and negative cables are clean. Use a wire brush to clean any corrosion off of them and you've got clean metal to metal contact. Most often, that's why a vehicle won't start after changing out a battery.

-------------------------

2008 Highlander Base 4WD
2002 Avalon XL
1987 Suzuki Samurai 4X4 - Treading where no Jeep can follow....
#3 Old 11-23-2009, 12:08 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailDust View Post
to Toyota Nation!
Thanks!

Quote:

Make sure the contacts at the end of your positive and negative cables are clean. Use a wire brush to clean any corrosion off of them and you've got clean metal to metal contact. Most often, that's why a vehicle won't start after changing out a battery.
If this was the problem would I still be getting power? Our lights work (and they didn't before switching out the battery).
#4 Old 11-23-2009, 12:32 PM
Do you feel lucky?

Batteries are funny that way. It's possible...IMO...for you to be getting enough juice for lights but not enough to turn the engine over. Are your contacts clean? If not, make sure they're clean and make sure they're tight on the battery posts. If that doesn't do it I'd try taking the battery back. On rare occasions a battery can come with a bad cell that will provide some juice, but not enough to turn over an engine. If a battery swap doesn't do it, then there's a deeper issue involved (alternator, etc.) that will require servicing. Always start with the simplest troubleshooting causes and work your way up.

2008 Highlander Base 4WD
2002 Avalon XL

Last edited by TrailDust; 11-23-2009 at 12:34 PM.
#5 Old 11-23-2009, 03:35 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Batteries are funny that way. It's possible...IMO...for you to be getting enough juice for lights but not enough to turn the engine over. Are your contacts clean? If not, make sure they're clean and make sure they're tight on the battery posts. If that doesn't do it I'd try taking the battery back. On rare occasions a battery can come with a bad cell that will provide some juice, but not enough to turn over an engine. If a battery swap doesn't do it, then there's a deeper issue involved (alternator, etc.) that will require servicing. Always start with the simplest troubleshooting causes and work your way up.
I checked for corrosion on the contacts, and they are clean.

My theft deterrent system/engine immobilizer system indicator light does not flash when the key is out of the ignition, but everything I'm reading says it should. Does something need to be reset?
#6 Old 11-23-2009, 03:40 PM
Senior TN Member

Sounds like it, my '04 the Imobilizer flashes any time the key is not in the ignition.

Use to work for TMMI, own a '04 Highlander V6, 4WD, 3rd row,155k. My family in-law have over 5 Toyota vehicles!
#7 Old 11-24-2009, 10:12 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
One more thing I didn't mention. When we got our new battery, it was labeled wrong (and thus we hooked it up backwards). We exchanged the battery for a properly labeled one, but could hooking up the battery backwards caused some sort of problem?
#8 Old 11-24-2009, 11:25 AM
Senior TN Member

Exclamation Oh Yes!!

Yep, reverse polarity with new computer systems on board and do all kinds of damage! I hope a fusable link prevented anything real bad.

Use to work for TMMI, own a '04 Highlander V6, 4WD, 3rd row,155k. My family in-law have over 5 Toyota vehicles!
#9 Old 11-24-2009, 11:36 AM
Do you feel lucky?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiAnne82 View Post
One more thing I didn't mention. When we got our new battery, it was labeled wrong (and thus we hooked it up backwards). We exchanged the battery for a properly labeled one, but could hooking up the battery backwards caused some sort of problem?
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortlid View Post
Yep, reverse polarity with new computer systems on board and do all kinds of damage! I hope a fusable link prevented anything real bad.
Agree with what shortlid said. This is one of the most common mistakes, but it's one of the most costly ones too. Modern vehicles are a multitude of computers on wheels, and when you reverse polarity on a new battery the result is typically fried computers. At this point take your car in to be serviced, preferably at a local mechanic as opposed to a stealership.

2008 Highlander Base 4WD
2002 Avalon XL
#10 Old 02-05-2010, 07:28 AM
Official TN Member

Late reply....but I have a feeling this did not have a happy ending..?
I've never seen polarity labled wrong on a battery....it's embossed in the case molding.
DOH !

04 Highlander 01 4Runner 00 Camry 90 Chev S10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > 1st Generation (2001-2007)