2003 Highlander Does the 4 cylinder have a timing chain or belt? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
1st Generation (2001-2007) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 1st generation Toyota Highlanders.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-01-2010, 12:17 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
USA 2003 Highlander Does the 4 cylinder have a timing chain or belt?

I have the bumper removal/replacement post, but as well I forgot to ask? Does the 2003 4 cyl engine have a timing belt or chain?

If a belt, at what milage is it to be replaced? If it is a timing belt where is it located. I am going to assume the serpintine belt I see on the left of the engine hood hopen facing motor is not the same as the timing belt and or chain. Can someone please adivse?

If it is a timing chain, is it good for the life of the engine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-01-2010, 12:50 AM
Do you feel lucky?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Thanked 4,765 Times in 3,321 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
It has a timing belt. Click on the DIY sticky thread at the top of the forum page, and then click on Does Your Vehicle Have An Interference Engine link. That will take you to Gates.com, where you can plug in your vehicle information and it will tell you all the parts you'll need to replace the timing belt. Also, you might want to click on the Serpentine Drive Belt Replacement link in the same sticky as it has information and photos that may be of help to you. As for when to replace the belt, your owners manual should list that info. Nevertheless, 90,000 is typically the replacement mileage for a belt.

-------------------------

2008 Highlander Base 4WD
2002 Avalon XL
1987 Suzuki Samurai 4X4 - Treading where no Jeep can follow....
#3 Old 09-01-2010, 02:10 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailDust View Post
It has a timing belt. Click on the DIY sticky thread at the top of the forum page, and then click on Does Your Vehicle Have An Interference Engine link. That will take you to Gates.com, where you can plug in your vehicle information and it will tell you all the parts you'll need to replace the timing belt. Also, you might want to click on the Serpentine Drive Belt Replacement link in the same sticky as it has information and photos that may be of help to you. As for when to replace the belt, your owners manual should list that info. Nevertheless, 90,000 is typically the replacement mileage for a belt.
Hi Thanks so much for the reply, I was in the TIS on line toyota repair site and discovered for my vehicle type and engine SAZ FE that it actually has a timing chain... Very helpful site. Thanks for the info though.

Here is the site you you should ever need it: https://techinfo.toyota.com

Last edited by TrailDust; 09-01-2010 at 02:14 AM. Reason: Quote and reply merged
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > 1st Generation (2001-2007)