Replacing a 2005 Highlander door actuator???? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
1st Generation (2001-2007) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 1st generation Toyota Highlanders.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-20-2010, 09:35 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Replacing a 2005 Highlander door actuator????

I have done a search on replacing door actuators for my 2005 Highlander, and none appear for a Highlander. There are some in the Lexus blog, and the Toyota Tundra blog, but none here?

Maybe those who read this forum do not make their own repairs, or see this type of repair as too complicated to undertake? One can make a lot of mistakes before they hit $600, eh?

Some forums list a small motor available at e-Bay ($10.00) that fits inside the clamshell door actuator that must be replaced, with two types of motors mentioned, some discuss removing the brass sleeve on the shaft, while others discuss and show how to shorten the shaft to make them fit.

The cost to have the dealer replace the door lock actuator is about $600, with some after market shops willing to replace a single actuator which includes all the cables, etc is $525.

Has anyone here ever replaced the small motor inside the clamshell lock actuator OR do they know if the door lock actuator in a Highlander is the same as one in the FJ Cruiser, or Toyota Tundra. If so, then following their suggestions may make this doable.

If I do hear back from someone here, and do the repairs, I will post .jpg pics of the procedure to remove the door panel, and then replace the motor inside the clamshell door lock acutator.

In case this is a new topic, usually the key fob will unlock and lock doors on the Highlander with the help of the door lock actuator.

Also, has anyone purchased a downloadable motor manual for the Highlander, and if so, do you have a website address for the download?

Thanks, Thomboy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-21-2010, 01:42 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Replacing a 2005 Highlander door actuator????

Sorry that my frustration got the better of me when I made the comment about owners here not doing their own work, or that replacing a door actuator may be too complex. Shame on me!

After going online for 7 days, and investing way too many hours trying to find a fix, I found this Toyota forum, where I should have gone first instead of to Google.

As you can see, I have done a little research, BUT am a bit overwhelmed with all my information. That is why I am trying to find someone here who may have done the work him or herself, or who can tell me if another Toyota besides the Highlander has the same door lock actuator mechanism?

If it is an all day project, then I hope to be prepared with the parts I need to dismantle and put back together the clamshell door actuator so my key fob will work again.

Thanks for any help you can send my way.

Thomboy
#3 Old 10-21-2010, 01:54 AM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomboy68 View Post
Also, has anyone purchased a downloadable motor manual for the Highlander, and if so, do you have a website address for the download?
https://techinfo.toyota.com

You can also check out various links and info in the following thread:
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...repair-manual/

I personally like Haynes Repair Manuals, but when I got my '06 Highlander in April I also purchase a factory service manual on CD for about $14USD from a seller on ebay (who mysteriously isn't registered anymore... caught selling bootlegs maybe?).

I have dead slow internet access, so downloading PDFs from Toyota was not an option for me. From what I understand, though, the CD I have contains Toyota's Factory Service Manual, and is actually a compilation of the downloadable PDFs from Toyota's Technical Information System (TIS). If you're serious and looking to purchase online, I'd go right to TIS https://techinfo.toyota.com - they offer a 2 day subscription for $15 and a monthly for $75, either of which should be plenty of time to download everything (or just what you need at the moment) with true high speed internet access.

I'm very grateful I have the factory service manual on PDFs - it's been a valuable resource for every little or big job I've done myself so far, and I highly recommend it to every DIY Highlander owner out there. And it illustrates nitty gritty details you generally don't find in a Haynes. For the price you really can't go wrong (unless your internet service is as laughable as mine ).
The Following User Says Thank You to cswtech For This Useful Post:
Thomboy68 (10-21-2010)
#4 Old 10-21-2010, 02:10 AM
Official TN Member

Nevemind.

Toyota MDT,ASE Master/L1,DEQ CRT
92 & 93 Camry 5s-fe
00 Sianna XLE, 03 Prius
89 Trans-Am
69 Camaro RS/SS

Last edited by CWH5; 10-21-2010 at 02:11 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to CWH5 For This Useful Post:
Thomboy68 (10-21-2010)
#5 Old 10-26-2010, 09:47 AM
Official TN Member

Here is how we do it on the lexus site:long thread but very ingenious...I have done it to mine and it cost $5.00.....
http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...topic=41219&hl=
#6 Old 02-06-2013, 01:00 PM
New TN User

I just replace the driver's side door lock actuator on my 2005 Highlander. I don't have the time right now - but I will post detailed instructions. There are some tricks that can save a great deal of time.
In addition, for the 2005 Highlander the dealer only lists the entire assembly part number 69040-48060 for $329.55.
I purchased the 2005 RAV4 door lock actuator part number 69120-42080 for $128.89 and once I got the assembly out of the car, I changed the actual actuator. A quick savings of about $200.00.

As I mentioned - there are certainly some tricks. I will post instructions (sorry I did not take pictures) within the next couple of days.
#7 Old 02-09-2013, 10:11 AM
New TN User

2005 Highlander door lock actuator
Parts and Definitions
2005 Highlander door actuator assembly 69040-48060 $329.55
2005 RAV4 door actuator 69120-42080 $128.89
Little yellow plastic clip thingy 69293012040 $3.14 (did not use)

I used the 2005 RAV4 actuator.
Sorry – I did not take pictures.
It took me about 4 hours. But with the benefit of my mistakes I would estimate 2 hours.
I really messed up trying to get one of the rods off. The rod that connects the actuator assembly to the exterior door handle. Has a yellow piece of plastic. The exterior handle – the thing you pull to open the door. I did not know how much force to apply to get it off (see my notes below). So I went to the dealer to talk to the shop. So that added a good hour. Anyway – I found a really good trick, this is the crux move for this job.

1) Remove interior door panel. Go to bodyshopzone.com. They don’t have 2005 instructions but the 2004 instructions were perfect. Either I missed it – or it was not in the instructions – I had to remove a black triangular plastic piece on the interior side adjacent to the side view mirror.
2) Remove the screw that holds the interior door handle. That is the handle you use when sitting in the car to open the door. DO NOT remove any of the cables.
3) I did not do it in this order – because I wasn’t sure how the entire assembly was constructed. But I believe this should work best. There are two rods that go from the actuator assembly to the exterior door handle.
a. The one with a red piece of plastic goes to the exterior lock. You know – where you would actually put in the key to unlock the door. The red plastic thing holds the rod in place. Pull the bottom of the red plastic towards you and it will swing forward and release the rod.
b. HERE IS THE CRUX move. The other rod has a yellow piece of plastic. Again, pull the bottom and it will swing towards you. But the end of the rod is sort of round. Reminds me of a ball peen hammer. I could not get that stupid thing out. I did not know how much force I could use. The Toyota mechanic said take a screw driver and sort of pry it out. Did not work for me. Look on the side of the door you will see a black plastic grommet. Take it out. Now you have access to a screw. This is a screw that holds the exterior door handle. Forget about the screw. BUT – you can take a screw driver and place it against the round head of the rod. I tapped the screw driver with a hammer. Tapped again. Then gave it a pretty good hit. The rod popped right out!!!! Success. If I would have known this – I could have saved about 1 hour of time.
c. I bought an extra yellow piece of plastic. The mechanic said that quite often they break. Mine was ok.
4) Remove three T30 screws on the side of the door.
5) Remove the other bolt that holds the actuator assembly.
6) There is one more bolt. This is the bolt that holds the window guide. The actuator assembly sits behind the guide. I was very careful in handling the guide.
7) It should be all free. Pull out the assembly. Keep the interior door handle intact. Do not remove any of the cables.
8) I think that is it.
9) Now you have the entire assembly out of the car.
10) Now you are ready to remove the actuator. I would suggest that you look VERY CAREFULLY how the various plastic pieces integrate from the actuator to the assembly. There is a ball and socket kind of thing make sure you get that correct. Also, one end of one of the cables has a double right angle kind of attachment. Not a very good description, but once you see it you will know what I mean. Don’t try to take that out right away. I found it much easier to disassemble the actuator and that once the actuator was removed from the assembly it created some slack in the cable.
11) There are three screws that hold the actuator to the assembly. Two on one side and one on the other. Again – MAKE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND how the pieces will fit together.
12) Pull the actuator away from the assembly
13) Remove that double right angle piece that is part of one of the cables. Once I got some slack in the cable it was easy.
14) Put on the new actuator
15) I put some general purpose lube on the plastic parts that move.
16) Screw in the three screws.
17) Put it all back together. I did not have any problems putting it back together. No tricks – just the reverse order. One person did mention that the actuator assembly has this little guide pin that needs to sit properly – but I thought that was pretty obvious. Also remember, the actuator assembly must sit behind the window guide.

Toyota cost $329.55 + ($150,.00 to about $200.00 in labor) = about $500.00
My cost $128.89. I very nice savings.

If you have questions – post. I will check in every once in a while.
#8 Old 02-16-2013, 06:58 PM
New TN User

Question Good idea but what about the $5 actuator

that was a very good idea to use the RAV4 actuator that was LOTS cheaper but what about these actuators that are advertised for as little as $5?....Gun style is what I see most are referred to....can that be attached in the same way as the RAV4 actuator?.....some say get it cuz its only $5...but I don't want to get it, rip the door apart, and then find out that I cannot use it....the $5 doesn't bother me but taking everything apart for no reason does
#9 Old 02-18-2013, 10:10 AM
New TN User

I don't know what to say regarding the so called $5.00 door lock actuator. I know that I used the RAV4 actuator and it was an exact fit.
Here was my thinking and rationalization:
The RAV4 is a Toyota OEM part. In general, I try to use OEM parts - others my disagree.
I am saving anywhere from $350.00 to $400.00 by doing the job myself. I am quite happy with this - didn't feel the need to look for a cheaper part.
In my case - I got inspired one Saturday to do the job. Did not plan ahead with respect to ordering parts - the dealer was open on Saturday and the RAV4 part was in stock.
I have never seen a $5.00 part. I believe a company called "Doorman" sell lots of parts for cars. Their door lock actuator was around $60.00, but I figured - why mess around - get the OEM part.
Opinions my vary.
#10 Old 02-19-2013, 08:44 PM
New TN User

well what started me wondering is I got the price from the dealer.....and pretty much decided it could stay broken...I have fixed one on my Ford F-150 and it was maybe $20 from the dealer...then I decided to search ebay....they had some for $30....and I was searching for 2005 Toyota Highlander....I said to myself that something cannot be right....I searched and searched and finally found a picture of what the actual part looked like and it was nothing like the $30 part....but both labeled as "gun type"...so then I googled and got even more hits with even more styles and some comments from people that bought and got them to work....but I didnt want to invest as much time as some of them did (trying different ways until they found a configuration that worked)...I mean is it that hard to just take the $5 or the $30 part and attached it in some way as you did the RAV4....I was hoping someone else may have tried this and could supply me with an answer...we are considering trading in the vehicle so the cheaper the better but at the same time its got to work

and if the easiest is the RAV4 way I have no objection to the price that you paid, I was just curious how people can post that these "universal actuators" can fit my 2005 if they really couldnt?
#11 Old 02-20-2013, 02:18 PM
AvConsult

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
For you advanced DIY's. The door actuators on many Toyota's and Honda's uses a similar motor and protection PTCR resettable "fuse" that the window motors use. Apprently the PTCR is there to prevent motor burnout if someone is holding down the lock switch for 20 or 30 seconds (some people's children) or the lock mechanism jams. The PTCR eventually develops a high resistance and/or prematurely trips, where the door locks either fail to move at all, jiggle a bit or partially flip the lock.

The motor itself is usually just fine.

They can be fixed in the same way as fixing the window motors. For some DIY's, they may find it educational and save them $200+ a door.

How-To: Fixing windows that "Run out of Juice"

I repaired three Honda lock actuators in similar fashion. Sorry no photos.

-----------------
'08 Highlander Base with goodies
'02 Highlander V6
'01 Honda Civic
'93 Camry LE V6 (departed)
#12 Old 09-21-2013, 03:07 PM
Official TN Member

Here's a nice write up I found on the interweb.

http://www.thegaragegazette.com/index.php?topic=14501.0

06 Highlander V6, 02 Lexus RX 300 240k & 00 4Runner
Radio Upgraded
2" Hitch Installed
Mobil 1
Crossbars Removed
Debadged
HIR2 Headlights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > 1st Generation (2001-2007)