Toyota Nation Forum banner

Windshield washer nozzle replacement ?

83K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  edwardh1 
#1 ·
Anyone knows how to remove washer nozzles from a hood ?
Any other/better replacements available ?

My original's barely work, spraying very weak and hitting only the bottom of the windshield. I tried to clean them, but nothing worked. And I couldn't figure-out how to pop them out from a hood, because it's no access from the bottom.

Any advice is appreciated. :thumbsup:

2004 Highlander

#2 ·
Have you used a needle to clean them out!! If that does not work, you have to remove the hood liner first to get to the underside.

#4 ·
I second shortlid's recommendation of using a needle to clean and/or aim them.

You might also follow the hose under the hood and make sure the hood doesn't crush it when you close it. The bend in the hose is very close to the hinge and it's possible for the two to overlap. If the rear is wonky as well, then I would suspect some problem before the actual spray nozzle.

#6 ·
They spray way too low and they don't adjust. Barely hitting the wiper arms when they are in rest position.

I think it's the only way to fix this problem is by replacing them, but don't know how to remove them. Don't really want to start prying them out from outside...

Hopefully someone have experience taking them out and can give an advise

Rear nozzle sprays just fine

#7 · (Edited)
Here's how they should come out. It's held in by two-clips. Behind the hood heat shield, it is easier to first push the clip closest to the windshield, and then after it's out of the hood, twist off the hose.

The fan-style washer nozzles (shown above) are non-adjustable but the earlier stream-style can be aimed; they have two small barrels that can be aimed with a needle. Both nozzles are interchangeable. I switch out the older stream-style for the fan-style and works perfectly. You can get the nozzles at the salvage yard for $1 like I did or the dealership.

A weak spray could be a cogged or bad washer pump. There's two pumps on the Highlander; one for the front and another for the rear. Also check if something is pinching the washer hose.

Reactions: shortlid
#8 ·
Can'

Resurrecting this thread as a brand new user!

I have tried to figure this out intermittently for the last 5 months and still haven't found a solution.

I have a 2005 Toyota Matrix and get almost no fluid coming through the washer nozzles. I disconnected the feed hose right before the first nozzle and tested the pump and get a very steady and decent pressure stream shooting from the house right before the nozzles (covered a solid 3 feet in the air when activated).

I have found 0 how-to videos on replacing the nozzles after many hours of searching, and the best I can find is "detach the nozzles from under the heat shield".

Here's my problem...this is what's under my heat shield:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ai4lpt9b9t81z0/2014-06-26 12.40.33.jpg

As you can see, NO access to the nozzles.

In case you can't tell from the picture, that metal portion on the underside of the hood is glued, crimped, and bolted to the hood. From what I can tell this either needs very tiny hands or a brand new hood (the latter seems totally unrealistic).

Has anyone had experience with this?

Any help would be MUCH appreciated!

Brock

#9 ·
from what i see from your picture and the last picture from "Yuko", my guess is you have to pull it out from the outside. He mentioned "it is easier to first push the clip closest to the windshield, and then after it's out of the hood, twist off the hose."

I am not sure the Matrix uses the same nozzle though. Give it a try

#10 ·
Thanks for the quick reply! I've tried just pulling the nozzles out as Yuko did, but to no avail. It definitely seems like something is anchoring them under the hood (as he mentioned).

If anyone else has experience switching these on a Matrix I would love to hear how you pulled it off...

#15 ·
I am having the same problem on my 2001 Tundra. I used a syringe filled with hot water and tried to blow them out. No joy. I then aspirated the tubing (pulled the syringe backwards) and got a LOT of black specks...the tubing itself is 'rotting' on the inside and I am 100% convinced the tubing itself is deteriorating and clogging the jets.

I went to a local aquarium store and for a few bucks bought clear plastic air pump tubing so as soon as I can figure out how to remove the nozzles and unjam them, I'll replace the old, dying tubing.

I do live within walking distance of a Toyota dealer but I imagine if they 'fixed' it we're talking several hundred dollars. I may splurge for new nozzles tho....

I'll keep you posted!

Pat in Buford, GA

#16 · (Edited)
P-rod - DONT buy them from a dealer. You will over pay. Read my post from another thread.

I know this is an old thread, but still applicable today. I just had this problem, 2003 old 3 hole wiper nozzles all clogged up. Thin wire did not clean it. So I decided to look at a bunch of alternatives. The poster above hardtopte72 suggested using 05-08 mist jets. I HIGHLY recommend this as an option. I got mine off of ebay for $14 and free shipping. Comes from Thailand so expect 2-3 weeks for delivery. Here is the link if you need it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/281649955393?item=281649955393&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

If for any reason, the link is broke, or not allowed on the site, just pull up ebay and search for the title "2x TOYOTA SIENNA Hilux Vigo Fortuner Tacoma WINDSHEILD WIPER NOZZLES Washer Jet"

FYI - the 2003 corolla hood holes are the same size as the 2005 -08 hood holes. These mist jets fit perfectly in the 03 corolla.

Also, The easiest way to remove/replace is this. You do not need to go underneath or remove the fiberglass heat shield. In fact doing so will make it more complicated than it needs to be. Very carefully (or use a Teflon flathead screwdriver), slide the flat head between the hood and the nozzle (from the side where the jet holes are) and push hard (underneath there is a pincher clip on both sides (if you have the new replacement parts, you will see what im talking about). Your goal is to slide the flathead underneath hard enough to close the pinch so it pops up. Then do the same on the other side. Then pull the nozzle through WITH the water hose. Grab the hose, pull the old nozzle off, put the new nozzle on, push the new nozzle back into the hood hole. (If you think your hose is clogged, then just replace the hose line.) Then repeat the same process for the other side. This is easier than changing your own oil.

Good luck!
Anthony

#17 ·
Very good concise instructions. Thanks Anthony. I don't have a washer problem but read your post anyway and I am very impressed with your writing skills. Believe me that sort of ability is less common than you may think. Especially these days. Bravo.
Haya....

Reactions: Multi007
#18 ·
07 Sienna, the drivers side washer was a weak spray, just to the bottom of the windshield. Its been like that for a long time, perhaps as much as a year. So on a pleasant afternoon today, I finally decided a have a look. Short story, a new nozzle, $32.10 plus $4.17 tax for a new nozzle from the dealer.

Long story, had a hard time getting those plastic retainers off that hold the heat shield onto the hood. Didnt break any though. Is there a trick to getting them off? The nozzles came off relatively easily. Pushed on the clip close to the front of the car from inside the hood. from on top of the hood, the front of the nozzle was then loose and the rear (towards the front window), came loose with a bit of wiggling. The nozzle in question was spraying under the hood. It had a hairline fracture near the bottom. The dealer said that was from a bump with a snow brush. Seems like an odd reason, but I will be very careful next snow season. I suspect that I just didnt get the antifreeze in soon enough.

A good job done, finally. Now, if I could find an easy way to loosen up the power sliding passenger-side door.

#19 ·
Replaced my nozzles on my 2001 Highlander, and it still doesnt work.

Came off pretty easy. Even ordered a rear washer nozzle, but was unable to twist off hose. But neither spray. Checked reservoir in wiper fluid and it looks pretty stagnant. Any ideas? Im hoping its not the pump, because I likely dont have the skills or the handsize to get to it. Anyway to check?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.