75,000 Mile Service Costs - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
1st Generation (2001-2007) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 1st generation Toyota Highlanders.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-07-2010, 07:53 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
75,000 Mile Service Costs

I just brought my 2003 V6 FWD Higlander with 75,000 miles in for an oil change at the dealership. The service guy said mechanically, everything looks great. But he did say that I need to get some things done considering its at 75,000 miles. He said:

1) My transmission fluid looks "dark". So he suggests a Transmission Fluid flush at $174.95

2) I need to get a new Transfer Case at $89.95

3) I should get a Rear Diff Service at $139.95

4) I should get a Fuel Induction Service at $89.95

5) I'll need a PCV Valve at $38.00

Please note that last year at this time, my water pump was leaking so he said to change my timing belt while they replaced the pump. So, they did that.

I'm wondering about the services above. Has anyone else been told to do these at this time and what do you think of the costs?? They seem pretty steep.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-07-2010, 08:01 PM
Streaker

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
My Toyota service dept. charges $99.00 an hour. If you were to have all that done at the dealer it would cost you a couple grand. Go somewhere else and have the work done.

2013 Sunset Bronze Venza Limited V6 AWD
The Following User Says Thank You to Streaker For This Useful Post:
clibman (11-07-2010)
#3 Old 11-07-2010, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by clibman View Post
I just brought my 2003 V6 FWD Higlander with 75,000 miles in for an oil change at the dealership. The service guy said mechanically, everything looks great. But he did say that I need to get some things done considering its at 75,000 miles. He said:

1) My transmission fluid looks "dark". So he suggests a Transmission Fluid flush at $174.95

2) I need to get a new Transfer Case at $89.95

3) I should get a Rear Diff Service at $139.95

4) I should get a Fuel Induction Service at $89.95

5) I'll need a PCV Valve at $38.00

Please note that last year at this time, my water pump was leaking so he said to change my timing belt while they replaced the pump. So, they did that.

I'm wondering about the services above. Has anyone else been told to do these at this time and what do you think of the costs?? They seem pretty steep.

Thanks.
Don't lose ANY sleep over their 'recommendations.' I used to be a Toyota Service Advisor and had techs write up work before even looking over the car. I would make sure they didn't get any work if I was managing them. There's plenty of money to be made for honest work.

EVERYTHING the dealer is recommending is maintenance work, they have no idea how long it has been since you had your trans fluid changed, fuel induction, etc. It's ALL B.S.

You stated you have FWD, I'd love to question how you would change the rear differential fluid when the vehicle doesn't even have a rear differential. Run, do not walk from that dealer.

These are the service intervals I follow for my wife's 2009 Highlander AWD V6. Not all will be applicable due to FWD vs. AWD BUT for the ones that are the mileage interval is based on factory recommendations as well as many years of dealing with experienced technicians.

5k Oil Change
5k Rotate and Balance
10k Check Alignment
15k Air Filter
15k Cabin Filter
45k Transmission Fluid
45k Rear Differential Oil
45k Transfer Case Oil
45k Power Steering Fluid
45k Brake Fluid
45k Engine Coolant
90k Tune Up
90k Thermostat
90k Water Pump

2009 Kluger V6 AWD Sport/Debadged/30% tint/V-LED LPF/White Night RLS

Last edited by JMSinMD; 11-07-2010 at 08:33 PM.
#4 Old 11-08-2010, 10:36 AM
2004 I4 Highlander

I don't think it's unreasonable to change the fluid on the tranny, transfer and diff at 75000 miles. But a good private shop will do these things for half that, and they are very simple things to do.
#5 Old 11-11-2010, 09:00 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSinMD View Post
Don't lose ANY sleep over their 'recommendations.' I used to be a Toyota Service Advisor and had techs write up work before even looking over the car. I would make sure they didn't get any work if I was managing them. There's plenty of money to be made for honest work.

EVERYTHING the dealer is recommending is maintenance work, they have no idea how long it has been since you had your trans fluid changed, fuel induction, etc. It's ALL B.S.

You stated you have FWD, I'd love to question how you would change the rear differential fluid when the vehicle doesn't even have a rear differential. Run, do not walk from that dealer.

These are the service intervals I follow for my wife's 2009 Highlander AWD V6. Not all will be applicable due to FWD vs. AWD BUT for the ones that are the mileage interval is based on factory recommendations as well as many years of dealing with experienced technicians.

5k Oil Change
5k Rotate and Balance
10k Check Alignment
15k Air Filter
15k Cabin Filter
45k Transmission Fluid
45k Rear Differential Oil
45k Transfer Case Oil
45k Power Steering Fluid
45k Brake Fluid
45k Engine Coolant
90k Tune Up
90k Thermostat
90k Water Pump

Is this the maintenance schedule you follow for AWD Highlanders? I have a 2005 AWD.

2008 Toyota Rav4 Sport - Flint Mica
2005 Toyota Highlander V6 - Bluestone Metallic
#6 Old 11-12-2010, 03:41 PM
Senior TN Member

As always, maintenance needed depends on previous maintenance HISTORY and driving style, along with common vehicle failure points that might be prevented with a better interval.

Assuming negligence:
ATF is good for no more than 30k miles. So, by 75k, you should have done 2 flushes.
Transfer case and rear differential fluids also need 30k intervals.
A bottle of FI cleaner can be added 2-4 times a year negating the need for an FI service.
PCV valve is good for at least 50k. So, if you haven't changed it, buy one yourself and swap it out.

The word tune-up means nothing.

The owners manual is a negligent joke when it comes to fluids and change intervals.

The dealer charges too much for these services. Its time that you find a competent independent shop, or buy a toolbox.

There is no point on checking an alignment unless you notice some tire wear or the vehicle pulls, steering wheel not centered.....
5k/6month oil change if you use cheapo oil & cheapo filter. 10k/6months is easy interval for most synthetics with a quality oil filter.
I won't argue a 15k air filter since we sand/salt roads here like crazy in the winter. Its too cheap not to change early and easy enough for anyone to change it themselves every year or 15k.
My cabin air filter lasts about 9 months mileage irrelevant. Inspect and change as needed. Once a year doesn't hurt.
A complete ATF exchange(cooler line flush) every 30k if using Toyota or Generic ATF. Up that to 50k if you use a full synthetic. Magnefine/Filtran/ATP ATF filters should assist in long transmission life. A simple ATF pan drain/refill every year or 10k makes up for ever needing a complete ATF exchange. If you don't drive much, change ATF out every 3-5 years.
30k mineral gear oil changes(transfer case, rear end/diff). If using a synthetic, 50k is a good interval. Time also needs to be taken into account. If you don't drive much, change it out every 3 years.
I siphon/refill my power steering fluid at every oil change. Stick with a full synthetic as this fluid is un-filtered, abused, and neglected. It takes competence to flush a PSF system correctly. A Magnefine/ATF/Filtran can also be added.
Coolant/antifreeze every 2 years or 30k.
Water pump at every 2nd timing belt if you maintain the coolant. If you neglect the coolant, then replace WP at every timing belt.
Brake fluid should be bled every 2yrs and at every brake service. Mileage is irrelevant since moisture accumulates with time.
The Following User Says Thank You to deadrx7conv For This Useful Post:
shortlid (11-12-2010)
#7 Old 11-12-2010, 04:05 PM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadrx7conv View Post
I siphon/refill my power steering fluid at every oil change. Stick with a full synthetic as this fluid is un-filtered, abused, and neglected. It takes competence to flush a PSF system correctly. A Magnefine/ATF/Filtran can also be added.
Coolant/antifreeze every 2 years or 30k.
What Syn. ATF have you used in the P/S system??

Use to work for TMMI, own a '04 Highlander V6, 4WD, 3rd row,155k. My family in-law have over 5 Toyota vehicles!
#8 Old 11-12-2010, 04:18 PM
Need For Speed

Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
ATF change every 30k? Lord...maybe in older cars but nowhere near that interval for anything in the last 5 or so years. And the power steering siphoning every oil change is super over kill. If it helps your peace of mind, so be it. The car's not gonna fall apart, though. Trust it a little more than that.

I used to be a Toyota tech, and not that long ago, so I'm not just spewing out random stuff here.

6 speed manual 2011 Camry SE
1995 Mustang-1994 Mustang GT
1985 AMC Eagle
#9 Old 11-12-2010, 04:30 PM
Senior TN Member

Many older cars don't push the HP, weight, stress, small sumps, or compact dimensions,... that are common now. The AWD Highlander and Rx300 had a rash of AT failures(strategically usually just out of warranty too). They run a little too hot. FWD being a little lighter, is a little less stressful but is no way bulletproof.

Any synthetic ATF mentioning the Dexron spec can be used as a PSF. I prefer Mobil1 since its usually available at the local store. Royalpurple, Redline, Amsoil, and Valvoline Maxlife are some others. They work great as a PSF and ATF.

If you were a competent tech, you would understand that we're NOT changing the PSF at every oil change. We're doing a siphon/fill of the reservoir which is about 1/4-1/3 of the capacity. These incremental's make up for the PSF never being changed and prevents it from ever needing a flush or other dealer overpriced service recommendation. I find those that have to replace racks and PSF pumps tend to be less negligent. Its the owners choice. Maintain the fluid or replace the component.
#10 Old 11-12-2010, 05:45 PM
Need For Speed

Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

6 speed manual 2011 Camry SE
1995 Mustang-1994 Mustang GT
1985 AMC Eagle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > 1st Generation (2001-2007)