2002 Highlander -- How to fix sticky gas pedal? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > 1st Generation (2001-2007)

1st Generation (2001-2007) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 1st generation Toyota Highlanders.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2012, 11:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View bluesky4unow's Photo Gallery
2002 Highlander -- How to fix sticky gas pedal?

I checked Toyota website for recall and my car is not in the list. Problem I am facing is, gas pedal gets stuck when I stop at light. I have to push it hard and once it's unstuck then it works fine. But whenever I stop then only I have this problem. Can you guys please help? I sprayed WD40 but no luck.

Thanks in Advance
Sandy
bluesky4unow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2012, 01:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
New TN User

View danowic's Photo Gallery
I have a 2000 Avalon that I just got back from the repair shop(not Toyota) for unrelated problem. It is hard to depress only after a complete stop, just like your Highlander. I don't know a solution but will check back at this forum for help
danowic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

View danowic's Photo Gallery
Check this site

http://jasongraphix.com/journal/gas-pedal-sticking/
danowic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
New TN User

View airmech1953's Photo Gallery
Sticking Accelerator Pedal

I have had this issue on almost all my Toyotas at one time or another. Had dealer clean the throttle body and problem always went away. Cost was approx $90.00
airmech1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
2005 HL Ltd. 4WD V6

View lqueral's Photo Gallery
throttle

Not sure when the HL came out with a "fly-by-wire" throttle system, but I know my 05 has it. Those fly-by systems should never have a gas pedal affected by throttle body carbon buildup because an electronic servo motor opens and closes the throttle valve. The gas pedal is kinda a variable resistor that sends an electrical value to the servo, so the throttle valve is not actuated by a mechanical linkage. But throttle body cleaning should also be done on the fly-bys, although there can be some issues with the calibration (in degrees) of throttle opening. Not sure of that procedure, as I have not done it yet on my 52k miles 05. Warning - I also know that one should use a cleaner that is stated as being safe for coated throttle bodies. There have been some isues of some cleaners eroding the coated walls of the throttle valve, causing a rough finish that gets dirty much quicker.
lqueral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
New TN User

View airmech1953's Photo Gallery
Sticky gas pedal

Iqueral
My reply for Bluesky4now was in regard to a 2002 Highlander as is the vehicle that was referenced. I gave that advise from personal experience for I too have a 2002 Highlander V6 and had the throttlebody cleaned within the last 3 months for the same problem. I can almost guarantee that this will cure his or her problem for this vehicle or any other Toyota before the fly-by-wire system was incorpoated. I have no idea if it will have an effect on a fly-by-wire system. It has worked for me on a 1985 Camry, 1986 Camry, 2001 Solara, and 2002 Highlander, all pre fly-by-wires.
Will be anxious to hear the outcome.
airmech1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
2005 HL Ltd. 4WD V6

View lqueral's Photo Gallery
[QUOTE=airmech1953;3822629]Iqueral
My reply for Bluesky4now was in regard to a 2002 Highlander as is the vehicle

>Yeah, airmech, I hadn't caught the year of the HL in question. I think the electronic throttle came in with the 3.3L V6 (2004??).

incorpoated. I have no idea if it will have an effect on a fly-by-wire system. It has worked for me on a 1985 Camry, 1986 Camry, 2001 Solara, and 2002 Highlander, all pre fly-by-wires.

> But as I said, throttle body cleaning is important for EVERY car, manual throttle or electronic. Usually a dirty throttle body shows up as a rough idle, but I could see a dirty unit affecting gas pedal feel on a mechanical linkage throttle. Absolutely. Yeah, we'll see what we hear back.
lqueral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View typesix's Photo Gallery
Drive by wire for Highlanders started with 2004 model year.
typesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 02:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
New TN User

View melnric's Photo Gallery
throttle body clean

Save your money on a throttle body service
Get a can of spray carb cleaner and an old tooth brush. Take the air cleaner hose off of the throttle body Get a flashlight to see good. Hold the throttle open and spray carb cleaner inside and scrub with the toothbrush. Wipe it out with a clean rag when the dirt is gone. it.s called sludge and I know it works because I did it on an 02 highlander as well as a 01 camry
melnric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
New TN User

View Zack1978's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by melnric View Post
Save your money on a throttle body service
Get a can of spray carb cleaner and an old tooth brush. Take the air cleaner hose off of the throttle body Get a flashlight to see good. Hold the throttle open and spray carb cleaner inside and scrub with the toothbrush. Wipe it out with a clean rag when the dirt is gone. it.s called sludge and I know it works because I did it on an 02 highlander as well as a 01 camry
DO NOT USE Carb cleaner to do this job.....use throttle body cleaner.(http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...ier=55922_0_0_)
Regular old carb cleaner is somewhat harsh, and it can remove the protective metal coating on the TB itself.

Zack
Zack1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > 1st Generation (2001-2007)