Brake Caliper Slide Pin Confusion - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
1st Generation (2001-2007) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 1st generation Toyota Highlanders.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-10-2012, 08:31 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Brake Caliper Slide Pin Confusion

I recently replaced the rear brake pads on my wife's 06 Highlander. There are two different slide pins used; one has a rubber bushing on the end and the other doesn't. This is the first time the brakes have ever been serviced so things are exactly the way they were when vehicle left the factory. The slide pin with the bushing came out of the top position. I have the Toyota factory service manual. It says the slide pin with the bushing goes on the bottom. What gives? And what does that little rubber bushing do anyway? If they're helpful or needed why doesn't Toyota just use pins with bushings? This is the kind of stuff that drives me batty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-11-2012, 11:28 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerBill View Post
I recently replaced the rear brake pads on my wife's 06 Highlander. There are two different slide pins used; one has a rubber bushing on the end and the other doesn't. This is the first time the brakes have ever been serviced so things are exactly the way they were when vehicle left the factory. The slide pin with the bushing came out of the top position. I have the Toyota factory service manual. It says the slide pin with the bushing goes on the bottom. What gives? And what does that little rubber bushing do anyway? If they're helpful or needed why doesn't Toyota just use pins with bushings? This is the kind of stuff that drives me batty.

Don't know the purpose of the rubber bushings but I replaced my rear pads on my '04 Highlander about a year age and the slide pin with the rubber tip was on the bottom. I bought the car new and that was the first time the pads had been changed.

04 Highlander V6
#3 Old 06-13-2012, 08:43 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Not Just a Toyota Problem

I did some web searching and found that owners of Subaru, Nissan, and I think it was Honda products report the same problem: their factory service manuals say the slide pin with the rubber bushing belongs in one position and the reality of their vehicles is just the opposite. I'm guessing there must be one dominant supplier of brake calipers to the Japanese manufacturers and somewhere along the line they changed the location of the pin with the bushing on it and the service manuals didn't catch the change for a while. I still have no idea what the function of the bushing is. Just another one of life's little mysteries....
#4 Old 06-13-2012, 03:38 PM
Official TN Member

flux capacitor holdback bushing
#5 Old 06-16-2012, 01:58 PM
New TN User

There may have been a problem with vibration causing noise. The bushing would help to reduce that.
#6 Old 10-22-2012, 12:14 AM
New TN User

My daughter's 2006 Highlander has the pins with the rubber bushing in the top position on both sides. I believe they eliminated chatter or rattle when the brakes are released and traveling.
#7 Old 04-18-2013, 02:23 PM
Official TN Member

where can you find pictures of where the pins are in the caliper?
#8 Old 04-18-2013, 09:05 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
edwardh1,

Send me your e-mail address in a private message to me. I can scan some images for you via e-mail. I cannot post pictures here on this forum.

Bill
#9 Old 04-29-2014, 12:49 PM
Official TN Member

any updates on this subject?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > 1st Generation (2001-2007)