Tire size help for 2003 Highlander - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > 1st Generation (2001-2007)

1st Generation (2001-2007) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 1st generation Toyota Highlanders.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2005, 08:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View nhhighlander's Photo Gallery
Tire size help for 2003 Highlander

I have a quick question and Im not sure if anyone will be able to help here. The stock tire size on my Highlander is 225/70/16. I need new tires and was just gievn a set of like new Dunlops that are 225/75/16. I used an online calculator and the stock size overall circumferance is 89.2261 and the new tire is 92.009. I know my speedo will be off by 2 miles an hour at 65mph, which isnt a big deal. However, I am curious if I will have any other issues such as tire rub. Its not a big size difference but it may not take much on these vehicles. Thanks in adavance for your help!!
nhhighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2005, 04:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
New TN User

View 91mr2's Photo Gallery
Take this for what it's worth but I have heard that size differences of more than 3% can possibly confuse the transmission and/or ABS control units.
91mr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 01:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Now - 2011 Explorer Ltd

View peterk9's Photo Gallery
Canada Tire Sizes

I recently took delivery of a 2006 Highlander Limited that came with P225/65R17 All Season tires. I had snow tires mounted on rims that I used for my 2002 Highlander. These are P225/70R16. The dealer and a tire company said I should be OK. I did notice that when I stood the two tires side by side, the snows were about a 1/2 inch lower. I now that this will throw off the odometer and speedometer a little. With the All Saeson tires the gas station I use shows as being 14 kilometers (approx. 8.7 miles) away. With the snow tires on, it has increased the distance to 14.3 kilometers (8.9 mi.). I have had them on since October 30 and so far, no problems...and no snow.
peterk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 09:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
New TN User

View Moneypenny's Photo Gallery
One of the least visually appealing aspect of the Highlander / RX330 series of SUV's is the ridiculously tall and skinny tires. It makes the vehicles appear top-heavy and ungainly.

I took delivery of my Highlander Hybrid four months ago. One of the first things I did was upgrade the wheels and tires, and had snows mounted on my factory wheels.

For summer, the vehicle rides on 255/55 18 Pirelli Scorpion tires, mounted on Voxx aluminum wheels. What a difference!! Not only does the vehicle look better, but it handles *significantly* better than before. Quick turns (and therefore emergency maneuvers) are handled with ease.

For winter, I have 235/65 17 Michelin Pilot Alpin tires. So far we've not had much snow here, but the tires have handled what we've gotten with complete ease.

So to obliquely answer the question about using different sizes, the two sizes I listed above have had no problems with fitment or performance.
Moneypenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 12:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
New TN User

View HighlanderSD's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneypenny
One of the least visually appealing aspect of the Highlander / RX330 series of SUV's is the ridiculously tall and skinny tires. It makes the vehicles appear top-heavy and ungainly.

I took delivery of my Highlander Hybrid four months ago. One of the first things I did was upgrade the wheels and tires, and had snows mounted on my factory wheels.

For summer, the vehicle rides on 255/55 18 Pirelli Scorpion tires, mounted on Voxx aluminum wheels. What a difference!! Not only does the vehicle look better, but it handles *significantly* better than before. Quick turns (and therefore emergency maneuvers) are handled with ease.

For winter, I have 235/65 17 Michelin Pilot Alpin tires. So far we've not had much snow here, but the tires have handled what we've gotten with complete ease.

I just purchased a 2006 Highlander Limited. I cannot find one picture on the web of how this thing will look with a new more sporty stance. Would you happen to have any photo's you can post. Thanks
HighlanderSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Official US Consumer

View CT_highlander's Photo Gallery
bigger tire - better handling

I have a 2006 Highlander LTD. New it had Michelin P225/65/R17.

Now have P235/65/R17 Mastercraft Courser HTRs. A wider tire.

Vast improvement. Steering is tight and ride is smoother.

Only drawback is a small loss in mpg.
CT_highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > 1st Generation (2001-2007)