low pressure warning indicator stays on - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
RAV4 Forum Looking for RAV4 information and resources? This forum is the place.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-24-2006, 09:08 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
low pressure warning indicator stays on

I hit a screw in the rear wheel of my 2006 AWD Rav4 , and had to replace it with the spare tire. The spare is the exact same model/make/size as all other 4 wheels. The tire pressure warning light won't go away (it never blinks even when I turn the keys, so it's not any other major problem).

Does anyone know how to make the light go away (reset button)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-24-2006, 09:18 PM
Official TN Member

Have the flat tire fixed and the light will go off when pressure is restored in it. Read the owner's manual pages 161-165, it explains the particulars of the system. If the light remains on very long after the tire is fixed, you need to see your service dept. There is no reset button on the 2006 Rav4 like there is on other models.

Last edited by Quickdtoo; 06-24-2006 at 09:19 PM.
#3 Old 06-25-2006, 12:05 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Thank you, Quickdtoo.

I've read the owner's manual pretty thoroughly before and after you posted your answer.

What I don't get is: my spare tire is exactly the same as the rest on the car, so why should it be required to have the original wheel put back on in order to have the light turned off?

Even page 376 suggested rotating tires on my own. Which means using the spare as one of the 4 primary wheels, and stow one currently used wheel as the spare.

So I still don't understand why the tire pressure warning light is still on. I checked, and all tires have the right pressure (32psi).

Thanks again, and to whoever else that can give me a clearer answer.
#4 Old 06-25-2006, 02:31 AM
Official TN Member

Are all 5 wheels mounted, 4 on the ground and the spare mounted and inflated? If they are, you need to have your service dept check it out. The TPMS needs to receive the all clear from all 5 transmitters in the valve stems on each wheel, if one is missing or has low/no air pressure, the system won't turn the warning lamp off.

http://home.comcast.net/~quickdtoo/tirepres.pdf
#5 Old 06-25-2006, 09:02 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
That makes much more sense.

So it's possible that because I have the deflated tire hung up in the back, and therefore continue sending signals to the sensor, and the low tire pressure indicator stays on, and not because the other 4 tires are under-inflated?

Thanks again for your help/advise!
#6 Old 06-25-2006, 11:25 AM
Official TN Member

Not just possible, without a doubt! The transmitter in the wheel with the flat tire is sending a signal to the TPMS that it's underinflated, it will continue to do so until you have the flat repaired. The TPMS doesn't detect just the 4 tires on the ground, it detects all 5 tires regardless of where they're mounted. They don't even have to be mounted on the vehicle, just close enough for their signals to be received.
#7 Old 06-26-2006, 11:18 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
I've tried putting the flat tire about 20 feet away from the car, and the light still won't turn off, maybe I'll try rolling that tire all the way to the front yard, and away from the car/garage, and see just how sensitive that sensor is. Unless the sensor is looking for repsonse from all 5 tires exactly, so one less tire still makes the indicator light up?
#8 Old 06-26-2006, 11:25 AM
2006 RAV4 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjet
I've tried putting the flat tire about 20 feet away from the car, and the light still won't turn off, maybe I'll try rolling that tire all the way to the front yard, and away from the car/garage, and see just how sensitive that sensor is. Unless the sensor is looking for repsonse from all 5 tires exactly, so one less tire still makes the indicator light up?
All five tires must be inflated to at least 32 psig and be in close proximity to the RAV4's receiver.
#9 Old 06-26-2006, 02:06 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjet
Unless the sensor is looking for repsonse from all 5 tires exactly, so one less tire still makes the indicator light up?
The Tire Pressue Warning ECU expects to receive signals from all 5 tire pressure transmitters once the system is activated at the dealership during delivery prep, if a sensor is too far away or not transmitting a signal, the sytem will illuminate the TPMS warning lamp because there's a system problem.

If you read the .pdf I posted from the service manual, you'll see that each tire pressure sensor ID code is individually registered to that vehicle system, otherwise a TPMS equipped vehicle parked next to yours with a low/flat tire would cause a system warning.

Quote:

The five tire pressure warning valves and transmitters measure the pressure of the respective tires, and
transmit the ID codes of the transmitters and the measurement results through radio wave signals. The
transmitted signals are received by tire pressure warning antenna and receiver, which is mounted inside
D pillar of right side. The tire pressure warning antenna and receiver checks whether the received ID codes
match those that are pre-registered. If the ID codes match, the tire pressure warning ECU compares the
measurement results with the standard values, and illuminates the tire pressure warning light in the
combination meter if the pressures are below the lower limit of the standard values.

Last edited by Quickdtoo; 06-26-2006 at 02:08 PM.
#10 Old 06-27-2006, 10:51 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
So when I bring the tire for fixing, should I be concerned and only use mechanics who are familiar w/ Toyota's pressure warning system (pronounced "more expensive") so they won't damage the sensor in the flat tire? Or can I find any tire fixing mechanic ("cheaper") to fix the flat, as long as they don't use the liquid sealant as advised against in the owner's manual?

You guys are incredibly helpful, thanks!
#11 Old 06-27-2006, 03:34 PM
Official TN Member

I'd make sure they're aware that the wheel has the TPMS transmitter in it, they should be familair with it and know what they can and can't do. Use your judgement as to whether you think they're knowledgeable and trust em or not. If in doubt, take it to your Toyota dealer.
#12 Old 07-16-2006, 11:42 AM
New TN User

So how would you swap wheels on a car temporarily?

We usually have 2 sets of wheels for each car we own - one is mounted with a dedicated snow/ice tire set. Would it be possible to get 4 sensors that match the OEM ones? (IE, When the OEM set A is removed, set B is mounted up - set A and B have identical ID codes) My reading incidated that the codes are 'ranges' and not highly-individual codes (like the RFID in the key) so maybe this is possible? Any idea on how to get the part numbers & codes?
#13 Old 07-16-2006, 07:50 PM
MDT Toyota Tech

Its possible to get 4 more sensors for your extra set, but the bad news is that whenever you switched the tires you would have to go to the dealership to have them change the sensor numbers in the ECM so it would recognize the new sensors and not turn the light on. The Rav has a direct system compared to an indirect system that uses the speed sensors to control the light. The Land Cruiser is the only vehicle that is set up to use 2 seperate sets of tires. They have a switch in the glove box to change between set 1 and set 2. So it would be more of a pain in the ass to use 2 different sets of tires if the light bothers you that much.
#14 Old 07-17-2006, 08:41 AM
New TN User

How unique are the codes? Are there 50 codes or millions? If you could get 4 (or 5) sensors with identical codes then your car would never know you changed wheels. Is that possible? I would guess that it is not possible since there are probably hundreds of codes at the very least. Given that you program the ECU and not the sensor you probably cannot order the sensors for a specific code either.
#15 Old 01-31-2009, 02:00 PM
New TN User

i've checked all tires, its winter, wanrning lights won't turn off, all the pressure were in 32psi, i removed the 5th wheel and drive around, still warning light still lit. upsetting but duno where to go from here! does anyone solved their problem at all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > RAV4 Forum