High Idle when cold - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
RAV4 Forum Looking for RAV4 information and resources? This forum is the place.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-14-2006, 07:57 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
High Idle when cold

98 RAV4 2.0. Manual Tranny. Searched but didn't find anything on this. Has anyone else seen this. When engine is cold and very cold outside like 30F get a very high idle. Too high. Like 2000 RPM. Not good for a cold engine IMO. Everything else is normal. When it warms up it idles where its supposed too. Around 750. I'm thinking it might be the idle control valve.

Last edited by Diamondsleeper; 11-14-2006 at 07:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-22-2006, 11:16 AM
New TN User

I had the same concern with my 01 manual RAV. Mine would idle at 2K for about 1 min then back down. At operating temp my idle is about 750K which is normal.

After doing some research on the issue it appears this is normal for the Toyota. Apparently, the engineers want the engine to warm up as quickly as possible for emission reasons. I would not worry about it as long as the idle backs down to normal and it does not fluctuate at operating temperature. I believe an improper idle will throw a trouble code.
#3 Old 11-22-2006, 03:10 PM
Toyota Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRav
After doing some research on the issue it appears this is normal for the Toyota. Apparently, the engineers want the engine to warm up as quickly as possible for emission reasons. I would not worry about it as long as the idle backs down to normal and it does not fluctuate at operating temperature. I believe an improper idle will throw a trouble code.
The quicker the engine warms up, the lower the emissions and the better the fuel economy (the quicker you get heats to the vents too! )
I wouldnt worry about it. You arent going to hurt the engine because you arent putting a load on it when its idling.
My '85 4Runner used to idle at 1800 rpm when it was cold out and that engine had 245,000+ on it and still ran strong. I talked to the guy who bought it recently and from what he said it has close to 300,000 on it now and still runs great and doesnt burn a drop of oil.
High cold idle is a common Toyota trait. I wouldnt worry about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmax2007 View Post
Toyota is not any more "special" than every other company the media has targeted in the past.
'07 Toyota Camry LE
Toyota: Like other cars, only better.

#4 Old 11-23-2006, 08:30 AM
Official TN Member

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondsleeper
98 RAV4 2.0. Manual Tranny. Searched but didn't find anything on this. Has anyone else seen this. When engine is cold and very cold outside like 30F get a very high idle. Too high. Like 2000 RPM. Not good for a cold engine IMO. Everything else is normal. When it warms up it idles where its supposed too. Around 750. I'm thinking it might be the idle control valve.
It's normal to have it rev between 1800 - 2000 rpm on cold start , it will decrease as the engine warms up. I'd be concerned if the revs were beyond 2200 or doesn't decrease , then there would be a problem.

Btw... 30F isn't "very cold" here in the great white frigid north .. it's all relative.
#5 Old 11-25-2006, 12:23 PM
New TN User

I had the same concern about the high idle on my 2006 RAV 4 and mentioned it to the dealer when I was in for my first oil change. Was told that high idle when cold is normal. I think other Toyotas have cold high idle speeds.
#6 Old 11-25-2006, 05:12 PM
Toyota Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer
Btw... 30F isn't "very cold" here in the great white frigid north .. it's all relative.
Here in Wisconsin thats considered to be a heatwave.

Quote:
Toyota is not any more "special" than every other company the media has targeted in the past.
'07 Toyota Camry LE

#7 Old 11-25-2006, 06:40 PM
The Original Mofo

I remember in my rolla it'd start off at 2k instead of 800-900

I also remember going like a bat out of hell before it got back down (yes I didn't wait for it to warm up, I know 2k idle means 100% more accel

1990 Celica GT (Garage/unfit)
1991 Toyota Corolla Wagon 4wd (Sold Feb08)
1991 4Runner SR5 V6 4WD (Sold May07)
1990 Corolla Sedan (Tboned+Writtenoff Oct06)
2005 Echo (Twisted the frame+Writtenoff Jan05)
#8 Old 11-25-2006, 09:30 PM
Toyota Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL2k
I also remember going like a bat out of hell before it got back down (yes I didn't wait for it to warm up, I know 2k idle means 100% more accel

Quote:
'07 Toyota Camry LE

#9 Old 11-27-2006, 12:39 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Its Fixed

Changed out idle control valve, and it fixed the problem. It now idles at around 1400 RPM when cold 20 to 25 F for about 2 mins and then drops to 1000. when warmed up it goes to 750 800. before I changed it the idle was starting to become erratic when warm and had rough idle most of the time. Guess I forgot to metion the "when warmed up" stuff earlier.
Thanks for the input everybody.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > RAV4 Forum