2001 RAV4: Catalytic Converter Troubles - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > RAV4 Forum

RAV4 Forum Looking for RAV4 information and resources? This forum is the place.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2009, 12:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View RAV4 Owner's Photo Gallery
USA 2001 RAV4: Catalytic Converter Troubles

Check engine light has been on "forever". Living in UK with US Spec RAV. Local dealership couldn't translate codes (?). Anyway, just had 3rd ignition coil replaced as car was stalling during idle.
Went to p/u car, supposedly fixed. 310 later, started car at dealership, and car stalled at idle. Car back in shop and just got a call that the catalytic converter needs replacing (hole in it). Cost: 700 for part, don't know what labor would be.
Anyone else with these issues? any advice??
RAV4 Owner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2009, 01:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
New TN User

View payam81's Photo Gallery
My cat was changed under warranty around the 20K mile mark along with a ECU reflash.

These cars have two major issues which are out there:

The ECU and the Cat. While you're at your dealer it might be worth you while to have to check to see if you have the latest ECU software. After your cat is fixed be on the lookout for the ECU getting fried. Main symptoms (if you have a an auto box that is) are harsh shit in to reverse, 1st and 2nd. Also this behavior could be intermittent, one time you start the car everything is fine the other is not. If you sense the transmission starting to slip or delays in engaging that's almost certainly the ECU getting ready to quit shortly.
payam81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2009, 07:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

View greenpower's Photo Gallery
so this means that if i have an early software in the ecu, and i make changes in the catalizer, my ecu will be fried? because in my shop there's a 2002 doing o2 sensors and cat, but still with creepy emissions.

84' 230E Mercedes
88' GX71 Cressida
greenpower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2009, 03:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenpower View Post
so this means that if i have an early software in the ecu, and i make changes in the catalizer, my ecu will be fried? because in my shop there's a 2002 doing o2 sensors and cat, but still with creepy emissions.
The cat is also prone to failure in the earlier models specially if they didn't have the ECU updated. They came out with a software reflash to minimize this issue in the later years, which can be applied to the earlier models. Once you change the cat you will need to update the ECU to stop the cat from failing again.

The other issue (which is unrelated) is the ECU physically going bad. The symptoms for that I've listed in my other post.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
New TN User

View greenpower's Photo Gallery
oh man, we just installed two generic catalytic converters and the four o2 sensors and now there's good emissions, but this means they won't last... well the owner is almost retiring the car, let's see what happens, thank you very much for the info mate!

84' 230E Mercedes
88' GX71 Cressida
greenpower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2009, 12:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenpower View Post
oh man, we just installed two generic catalytic converters and the four o2 sensors and now there's good emissions, but this means they won't last... well the owner is almost retiring the car, let's see what happens, thank you very much for the info mate!
No problem. Just tell the owner to go to a Toyota dealer and have them update the ECU otherwise chances are it will go out again. Toyota really must have provided these software updates for free but we know Toyota will never admit to widespread issues with these cars! Just one more reason for me to not buy another Toyota again anytime soon...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > RAV4 Forum