2007 coolant/trans fluid change maint? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
RAV4 Forum Looking for RAV4 information and resources? This forum is the place.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-17-2012, 10:44 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
2007 coolant/trans fluid change maint?

My 2007 Rav at 100K is due coolant/transmission fluid/spark plug change: about $450 at the Toyota dealer. For basically 4 plugs, some coolant, and some transmission fluid. I'm leaning toward an independent garage I've dealt with for years which would save me $$$. Any concerns here: I've always taken my Toyotas to Toyota for service in the past. Although I've always followed the Toyota maint schedule I've heard people in the service business say as long as the coolant and transmission fluids have good color and are not "burned" leave them alone. Any comments??

Thanks
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-17-2012, 11:47 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well mechanics are often wrong with me. Make sure ur coolant is the NEW pink version, not the OLD yellow version, or else you might damage ur hoses and more. The new coolant is not compatable, you must flush ur system. Older coolant has alcohol which u arent supposed to use in ur car.

Just look up spark plug numbers (GAP # or type) in walmart or whatever, and buy urself the fanciest ones, like double platnum, if u really want, wont be more then 30$. Im pretty sure ur sparkplugs are hidden under that fancy plastic cover on engine, ive never changed that, u will need a long extention spark plug tool. Make sure whoever does it applies spark plug ANTI SEIZE on the threads of new ones.

Get the TOYOTA compatible ATF fluid at autozone or w/e, i think its called DEXTROL or something. (black quart bottles, we bought 5 but i think u need 4) It will say toyota ATF compatible, same stuff as dealer, get the transmission pan off, and change fluid and filter, clean magnets on the inside of the pan from the metal particles (most mechanics wont do this). These magnets work WAY better than that transmission filter, clean em with solvent, i used Mineral spirits, it dries quick. Then reinstal magnets on pan, there are small indents where they go.

You can leave em all alone, if they arent bad. Sparkplugs should be changed every 1-2 years though, as they rust and might seize, or fall appart. ATF fluid heats up, so it will smell burned a bit, it should, so just look at color. Dark to brown is ok, BLACK is bad. Same as OIL. I personally think the transmission filter is a JOKE, so it doesnt really need to be changed, but do it anyway, because u get a free new gasket for transmission pan when u buy the filter set (got it at NAPA 25$) Coolant doesnt have to be changed, or whatever, but it contains water, which does leave a residue. A proper mechanic would flush system with water, drain and then refill using fresh fluid. Never changed it here 130k miles here, coolant still pink, thats why pink is now being used, yellow leaves a residue more and prevents flow (similar to cholesterol). Pink is standard for new cars now i think. Read the label on the back of bottles, it should be NEW vehicle compatable, i think i got autozone grey gallons, dont let them sell you wrong liquid though.

Mechanics here charge per hour, so if u bring all this stuff, and tell them to change it, its realy about 1 hour of work for some one who knows how to do it, or else its like 2 hours or so.

Last edited by HudsonTercel; 05-18-2012 at 12:00 AM.
#3 Old 05-18-2012, 03:52 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
The spark plugs are iridium tipped and last up to 125,000 miles. They should be Denso or the brand the car came equipped with. These engines do not like off brand non iridium spark plugs. They DO NOT need to be changed every 1-2 years. They are also pre-gapped at the factory and should not be gapped by the individual. If it were mine the coolant would all be removed and new put in but it must be the right type.

By all means DO have the transaxle lube & filter changed completely. A simple drain & fill only gets a small portion of the fluid out. Has it been done on a regular basis? Yes, you can save some money having a non Toyota shop do the work but they MUST use the correct fluids and parts or you have saved nothing and may cost yourself dearly in the long run.

If the dealer is going to change ALL of the transmission fluid and the filter along with the other items for $450 it's really not a bad deal. Also you're assured of getting the correct chemicals and parts. If they are only going to do a drain & fill of the trans then it's too expensive.

Last edited by fgf001; 05-18-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > RAV4 Forum