what type of oil should I use for my 1998 rav4? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > RAV4 Forum

RAV4 Forum Looking for RAV4 information and resources? This forum is the place.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2012, 09:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View ozlemeges's Photo Gallery
what type of oil should I use for my 1998 rav4?

Hi all,

I just got a rav4 L 1998, which is slightly over 120,000 miles. I have been driving for a while and I have never changed its oil so don't know what to use. Also, is there any brand you would recommend?

Thanks in advance,

Ozlem
ozlemeges is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2012, 10:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View devo's Photo Gallery
Brand I would say is up to you I switched to Mobil1 5-30 at my first oil change and am using 10-30 now during the summer my wife does all city driving. Make sure you use a good filter I use Napa gold. No difference in gas mileage between the two different weights.
devo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

View ozlemeges's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
Brand I would say is up to you I switched to Mobil1 5-30 at my first oil change and am using 10-30 now during the summer my wife does all city driving. Make sure you use a good filter I use Napa gold. No difference in gas mileage between the two different weights.
Thanks. I searched a little bit and I think I'll also go with 5-30. however, I was just curious if the mileage ove 100K would make any difference in the oil that I should use. Also for new tech cars, full synthetic oil is recommended, which is expensive. Is it also good for RAV4 1998 to use full synthetic?
ozlemeges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View devo's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozlemeges View Post
Thanks. I searched a little bit and I think I'll also go with 5-30. however, I was just curious if the mileage ove 100K would make any difference in the oil that I should use. Also for new tech cars, full synthetic oil is recommended, which is expensive. Is it also good for RAV4 1998 to use full synthetic?

Mine has 147K no oil leaks and its a 1999, you do not have to use synthetic any good dino oil is fine. They do make a high mileage oil but I think you need to look at the over all condition of your engine especially any leaks synthetic will tend to flow a bit more than dino and will leak out a tad bit faster IMO.
As far as it being "good" well the advantage to me is that I can go a little longer between oil changes and over a year the price point is about the same, its tougher with better additives in most cases compared to dino.
devo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View almc2242's Photo Gallery
In my opinion, since you are running a 98 engine. The miles tend to accumulate quickly. So help the engine. Use the oil suggested on your engine oil cap. Then help it out with Lucas Oil Stabilizer. It will quiet it down quite a bit and help in today heat.
almc2242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > RAV4 Forum