2001 Rav 4 Fromt end Popping Clunking noises - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
RAV4 Forum Looking for RAV4 information and resources? This forum is the place.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-23-2014, 10:57 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
2001 Rav 4 Fromt end Popping Clunking noises

Hey there

I have a 2001 Rav 4 that I bought this summer. It had clunky noises when I go over bumps. It sounded like Struts were going bad in the front so I replaced the two front struts and the sway bar links. It still continued to make that noise. I took it to a shop to check it and everything checked out solid and wasnt sure where that noise is coming from. So I just kept it driving it since it wasnt a major issue. As of a month ago the noise got really bad. A slight little bump it would make a louder clunky noise (pop sound like something hitting the floor). Even driving on a smooth road and the road slightly twist, a clunk sound would come. It makes that noise when I step on the brake and sometimes when I acclerate. Pulling the steering wheel from left to right while driving to make zig zags also makes the popping sound. I took the vehicle into another legit tire shop that does safty inspection, wheel alignments & Suspension. I got them to to look it over and they say the whole vehicle is solid. Suspension looks really good. They say that could be a possibilty of motor mounts. I wasnt fully convinced so I did some online research and saw that it most likely would be the lower control arm bushings. Took it back to the shop and they put a pry bar to the lower control arm bushing and it did have some movement. I thought for sure this has to be it then because the noise sounds like something is hitting the floor and the control arm is connected to the frame. Took it in today and what a nightmare. What was suppose to be like a 45 min job turned to a 3 hour job becuase the bolts were seized. Got the vehicle back and Guess what? Nothing had changed. The noise is still there. No body can seem to figure this one out. The say possibly be the sway bar bushing? I already put $800.00 into this thing and I dont want to replace every single. Please HELP!!! thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-24-2014, 09:36 AM
Official TN Member

As for the sway bar, if you disconnect the end links from the control arm / strut, and secure the sway bar so that it won't contact anything while driving, you could essentially drive it without the sway bar and see if the noise goes away.
#3 Old 01-27-2014, 02:46 AM
Official TN Member

motor mounts.
#4 Old 01-27-2014, 02:54 AM
Official TN Member

Remember the motor is connected to the trans and suspension,axles.
#5 Old 02-05-2014, 02:06 PM
New TN User

most def ur sway bar bushing mounts.......replaaace them n the noise would be gone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > RAV4 Forum