SAD - rebuild kit or whole replacement - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Previa Forum Discussion area for the (discontinued) Toyota Previa.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-29-2006, 12:25 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
SAD - rebuild kit or whole replacement

I have 93 Previa LE and am told that the shaft drive bushing is going bad. Is there any way I can make out if the SAD bushing is really going wrong (I hear a rough noise around 50 mph ).

Is it necessary to replace the whole SAD or use some rebuild kits that are being marketed.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-29-2006, 02:59 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey!
I've been lucky so far with the SADS; no noises to date. (Knock on wood!) I suggest the Yahoo! Previa site; there are discussions every week or so about it. Seems like everyone just has the bushing kit installed. You don't have to replace the shaft itself, if that's what the mech told you (unless it's damaged, which ain't likely).

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/previa/

Good luck,
C
#3 Old 09-03-2006, 12:03 PM
Official TN Member

Back when my original SAD couplings were shot, my local Toyota parts dealer said the couplings weren't available unless I bought a complete shaft (big $$$)

So I picked up an a set of custom aluminum couplings from EBay for $45 bucks and did the swap in about 30 minutes at my shop....

Put about 30k miles on her since then and they still look brand new
#4 Old 04-06-2008, 01:07 PM
New TN User

USA Previa SAD bushing replacement

I have a 91 Previa and replaced the SAD with help from the folks at www.previaparts.com where they have both bushings and the assembled shaft. I tried the bushings first but made a mistake reassembling it. I called and talked to them and they said just send it in and they would check it out. They sent it back ready to install. These folks were GREAT!

The installation can be done in about 6 hours but you will need an extra pair of hands. It will take more if you are alone and you're in good physical shape. I recommend the help because getting the shaft through the front mounting assembly is doing it blind and can be frustrating. Also I recommend purchasing the 3 mount replacements. They're cheap and easy to install, plus extend the warrentee on the bushings and/or shaft.

To be sure the shaft bushings are in fact the problem and to check your work after installation, run the car with just the shaft mounted. It should run smooth and true. Anything else means you have issues.

If you install the bushings only, do it on a bench and take a picture beforehand. Mine was a simple mistake but it cost me a lot of time and effort.

All in all the dealership was worthless. They denied having the bushings and would not install them even if I gave them saying they didn't work. They wanted $800 for a new shaft plus 6 hours minimum labor.

Even if you have to continue to drive it until good weather, it will not completely fail, just vibrate. No special tools other than metric sockets. I felt good about having done my own, and bought myself a steak dinner with the difference.

Happy Motoring.
#5 Old 04-07-2008, 01:35 AM
Official TN Member

Here is another website you can use. I hope it helps. http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/se...294966976+8361 http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/se...294966976+8984

Last edited by xmnishx; 04-26-2008 at 12:03 AM. Reason: update website
#6 Old 04-25-2008, 10:13 PM
New TN User

Location: B3 L54 Francisco Homes C-1, Mulawin, San Jose Del Monte City, Bulacan, Philippines
What is the right way of installing the accessory drive shaft(SADS) in my 1993 Toyota estima lucida? Please give some details, I have been replacing the shaft coupling for every 2-3 months.
#7 Old 04-26-2008, 06:15 AM
Dudeski

Previa Sads Install

Rauland,

1) Go to the Yahoo! Previa Owners Group and join if you haven't already.

2) Go to the FILES section and you will find a folder ***SADS*** wich contains all the technical info you will need to do it right. Make sure you have the shaft aligned properly. if the alignment is off, you will go thru couplings pretty quick as I have read others have had the same problem.

I just did one 4 months ago without any problem using the ABC Marts Coupling kit from ebay. A poll was taken on this on the Yahoo! site and 66% of those that answered recommend the ABC Marts over any other. I spent about $80 and a good 7 hours doing it (I cleaned everything as I tend to do when I do a repair and it takes a bit longer).

Michael
96 LE S/C
#8 Old 04-28-2008, 03:53 PM
Official TN Member

One easy way to tll if your SADS is going bad is turning on your A/C. If you here a clacking noise, your SADS is bad. I had mine done last summer. Since i had no desire to do it myself, my mechanic replaced the bushings for around $275. They told me that it would take 6 hours to do but when they actually started on my Prev, it took them about 2-2 1/2 hours to do. It runs fine. If you can't find the answers you want here, try the the yahoo forum mentioned above or better yet http://www.toyotavanpeople.com

I love toyotavanpeople.com. That website has a forum for every Toyota van- including overseas market Vans like the Town Ace. Most of the active members are do it yourselfers and many times they have pics to show you how to do a repair. One guy even has a collection of Vans and Previas that he drives and works on himself.
#9 Old 04-08-2009, 06:42 PM
New TN User

Location: B3 L54 Francisco Homes C-1, Mulawin, San Jose Del Monte City, Bulacan, Philippines
I have a Toyota Estima 1993 2.2TD manual transmission, is it ok to disconnect the turbo intercooler? What is the function of the intercooler? My mechanic had disconnected it from the main turbo due to broken exhaust manifold hose. Will that affect the performance of the engine?

Thanks and happy motoring!

rikads
#10 Old 04-20-2009, 12:24 PM
Official TN Member

Disconnecting the intercooler may save you money on a repair that needs to be done, but your Estima will be putting out less power. A turbo osr supercharger sucks alot air into your engine than it normally gets- which increase power. The intercooler cool that air down- giving it even more power. You usually will notice the difference.
The Following User Says Thank You to terbennett For This Useful Post:
Delf360 (05-20-2012)
#11 Old 08-17-2009, 03:25 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauland View Post
What is the right way of installing the accessory drive shaft(SADS) in my 1993 Toyota estima lucida? Please give some details, I have been replacing the shaft coupling for every 2-3 months.
Rauland;
I cannot believe that anyone would even attempt, the 1st time this sort of job w/o a decent repair manual. Much less ea. 2-3 mo.s. A Haynes Manual is only $10-15 At any parts house.
It states, several times & ways of how you can mess up this job.

Please, buy the manual. A shop Manual is better for all jobs, but will set u back almost $100.
Just google auto shop manuals. there are't that many places to get unless U get lucky @ a used book store... I got one for a Mazda 929S yrs ago. Still have it (not the 929, Katrina took car of that problem, along w/ a "86 Civic SI & 93 Nissan pk-up) if anyone needs it.
gettocar
#12 Old 08-17-2009, 08:09 PM
Official TN Member

I purchased my bushing kit on ebay from ABC Mart, I had the local toyota dealer install. Toyota charged me 4 hours labor, which I though was well worth it, others on this forum disagreed. Toyota does not make a bushing kit for 90-03 but they do have a kit for 94 and above. The toyota dealer looked up the labor rate for replacing the bushing kit on the 94 and up. That is what I was charged. The toyota mechanic said that the bushing kit I provided fit perfectly. I would do like the others said, get a Haynes manual , and review the information on the Previa Yahoo group and then you can make an informed decision on how you want to proceed.
#13 Old 08-18-2009, 10:11 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauland View Post
Sounds like you need to have your shaft balanced. If your driveshaft isn't balanced, the bushings will go bad prematurely.
#14 Old 07-02-2011, 10:28 AM
Official TN Member

I get a vibration while idling when the AC compressor kicks on. Is that the SADS coupling going bad? I has done this since I've owned it ( a few months).
#15 Old 07-02-2011, 11:03 AM
Official TN Member

Classic symptom of the SADS shaft bushings failing. I just had to do it again on my daughters Previa.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Previa Forum