Brake caliper removal - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Previa Forum

Previa Forum Discussion area for the (discontinued) Toyota Previa.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2007, 08:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View ChocolateOreo's Photo Gallery
Question Brake caliper removal

Hi everyone, thanks for looking:

We are trying to remove a front wheel brake caliper on our L registration (1995) Previa, and are having trouble doing it.

The lower caliper bolt is removed, and the whole caliper hinges upwards so we can remove the pads - but how do you remove it completely? The top 'hinge' bolt seems to be completely stuck from moving outwards...

Thanks in advance, and if I need to provide more info... please ask!!

~Oreo
ChocolateOreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2007, 09:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Former Toyota/ASE Master

View Qslim's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateOreo
Hi everyone, thanks for looking:

We are trying to remove a front wheel brake caliper on our L registration (1995) Previa, and are having trouble doing it.

The lower caliper bolt is removed, and the whole caliper hinges upwards so we can remove the pads - but how do you remove it completely? The top 'hinge' bolt seems to be completely stuck from moving outwards...

Thanks in advance, and if I need to provide more info... please ask!!

~Oreo
The part that the caliper hinges on doesn't come off. Rotate the caliper up and it should slide off towards the inside of the car.

Hello to my NSA pals reading this on Echelon
Qslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 08:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
lou

View lou8337's Photo Gallery
hey i had the same problem on both of my calipers about a year abart from each other. I even had to use a small sledge to hammer one of them up to the upward position to where u can slide them off. For some reason the pins either got bent or warped from heat. I ended up buying a new caliper and they come with the new brackets to hang the calipers so it must be a common problem. You just unbolt the hanging bracket with the caliper attached and turn it in like that. They'll take it. Do you have any troubles with the front wheels shakin. If u do u might as well change the rotors while u have it apart, cause thats most likely your problem. And if u do get the better brands like brembos or Raybestos cause it'll happen again. It happened to me.
lou8337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Previa Forum