96 Previa Stalling-Continued - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Previa Forum Discussion area for the (discontinued) Toyota Previa.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-05-2010, 03:16 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
96 Previa Stalling-Continued

I have been trying to trouble a stalling issue with the vehicle. Car runs fine for about 1 min +/- then stalls out. Not a sputter or shudder but stalls out. The vehicle has a new fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator and fuel filter. I have check the idle control valve, both vacumn swithes, mass air flow meter, throttle positioing sensor, coolant temp sensor, fuel injectors all are with in specs per chiltons manual. I also check the EGR per the manual and that looks to be fine. The vapor (charcole) canister seams to be plugged but i am not sure if that is a problem or not with the stalling. I also check all of the vacumn lines, pcv valve and all seam to be fine. I check the cold air intake into the air cleaner box and to the throttle bodies and can not feel or see any cracks that may be causing a leak.

What i did notice today is that the main fuel relay is droping out. I am thinking that either the relay has gone bad or something else is telling the fuel relay to drop out.

Is there a way to test the relay?

any thoughts and suggestions are appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-06-2010, 03:14 PM
New TN User

I had a similar problem with my 97 Previa. I checked the DLC1 interface and got trouble code 21 (Main oxygen sensor) even though there was no engine check light on. I then unscrewed the sensor and found that the heating coil in the sensor was broken and therefore had an unstable oxygen voltage signal. I then changed the sensor and the car now idles perfectly again. Until the sensor reaches operating temperature the sensor signal is beeing ignored by the ECU. That explains why the car ran fine at first.
#3 Old 07-08-2010, 05:56 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
update:

I found a freyed wire on the front O2 sensor. I replaced them both. Results are the same. Car runs fine for a minute or so then the fuel relay drops out and the cars stops running, I can restart the car almost imediately.

I am about to give up and take it to the stealership. I have no other options for local shops that can or willing to work on a previa. so i am am left with out many options. The car has been out of service for 3 weeks. any other thoughts on the subject are appreciatedd
#4 Old 07-08-2010, 11:18 PM
Official TN Member

A bad igniter would run until it got hot then shut down. If the igniter is going bad you can connect a tachometer to the diagnostic port under the drivers seat. Connect the tach first then start the engine. If there is no reading then the igniter is bad and the engine will die in short order. If it starts at all. If the igniter is going bad then the tach will display erratic readings before it dies. You say it starts and runs. Does it start normally? Does it run normally? At least until it shuts down? Because this is critical. If it starts and runs fine until it shuts down then the snorkle is not compromised. If it starts and runs rough and jerky until it dies then it is a compromised snorkle. Try diabling both O2 sensors and try it. This forces it to run on a hardwired map instead of the dynamic map.

When In Doubt...Charge!
#5 Old 07-09-2010, 10:40 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
The car starts and runs perfectly fine then cuts out. It idles fine and i can rev the engine just fine and then it cuts out. It runs fine unitl the fuel relay drops out and then the car stops running. Happens every time. I tired to drive it just to see what happens, but it did not go far.

I do not have a tachometer, is there any other way to test the inginter?

thanks
#6 Old 07-09-2010, 06:06 PM
Official TN Member

What do you mean when you say, "the fuel relay dropped out"?

When In Doubt...Charge!
#7 Old 07-09-2010, 06:22 PM
Official TN Member

Check the igniter...http://http://www.tegger.com/hondafa...n-car-test.pdf

When In Doubt...Charge!
#8 Old 07-10-2010, 12:45 AM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradN View Post
update:

I found a freyed wire on the front O2 sensor. I replaced them both. Results are the same. Car runs fine for a minute or so then the fuel relay drops out and the cars stops running, I can restart the car almost imediately.

I am about to give up and take it to the stealership. I have no other options for local shops that can or willing to work on a previa. so i am am left with out many options. The car has been out of service for 3 weeks. any other thoughts on the subject are appreciatedd
The easiest way to check the O2 sensor is to check the onboard diagnosis system for trouble codes. Under the driver seat you will find the DLC1 connector. If you put in a jumper wire connecting E1 and TE1 and then turn on the ignition to stage 2 (don't start engine), the check engine light will start flashing. If the blinking pattern is regular (0.25s on 0.25s off) there is no active touble code. An irregular pattern indicates that you have an active trouble code. The Chilton Manual for example will explain the possible blinking patterns.
#9 Old 07-10-2010, 07:57 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the replies.

What i mean by "the fuel relay dropped out" is when the car is either idling or running at a high rpm, i can place my hand on teh fuel relay and both feel and hear a "click" on the relay and then the car stops running. It seams like something it telling that relay to drop out which shuts off the fuel.
#10 Old 07-10-2010, 08:36 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuedli View Post
The easiest way to check the O2 sensor is to check the onboard diagnosis system for trouble codes. Under the driver seat you will find the DLC1 connector. If you put in a jumper wire connecting E1 and TE1 and then turn on the ignition to stage 2 (don't start engine), the check engine light will start flashing. If the blinking pattern is regular (0.25s on 0.25s off) there is no active touble code. An irregular pattern indicates that you have an active trouble code. The Chilton Manual for example will explain the possible blinking patterns.

The 96 previa also has the DLC3 connector for a OBD2 scan tool, which i have checked and there are no codes. I also did place a jumper on E1 & TE1 on the DLC1 and the only light that flashed was the oil level light. it flashed about once every 2 seconds or so.
#11 Old 07-10-2010, 08:51 AM
Official TN Member

Maybe the relay itself is bad.... try finding one at a salvage yard and replacing it, or if it isn't too expensive, a new one.....

I am stumped on this one......

1991 Previa (lexus EGG 240) 5 speed manual trans, spoiler, 18"wheels,tint,
1995 "FrankenYota".S/C, dual roof, 5 speed, 4x4 (2wd,4h,4low) lifted
#12 Old 07-11-2010, 02:37 AM
Diehard Rams Fan

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Thanked 1,042 Times in 930 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmh1129 View Post
Maybe the relay itself is bad.... try finding one at a salvage yard and replacing it, or if it isn't too expensive, a new one.....

I am stumped on this one......
+1

That's my thought too, try changing the relay, even a new one shouldn't be too expensive.

89 Supercharged White MR2 MT/09 Corolla S CSM MT/08 Yaris HB MT
94 Corolla DX Red MT/95 Previa S/C White AT/
07 Corolla CE CSM MT/10 Prius III Blizzard Pearl

#13 Old 07-11-2010, 07:21 AM
Official TN Member

Sign up for the yahoo previa group. Over there, you will find plenty of help and also an online toyota service manual.
#14 Old 07-11-2010, 09:39 PM
Official TN Member

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but a bad fuel pump relay won't cause a shutdown after 2 minutes of running. My understanding is when you start the engine the fuel pump relay manages this job until oil pressure is achieved then the fuel pump relay hands off the relay duties to the oil pressure sending unit. This way if there is no oil pressure then the engine may start (or may not) but won't run very long. Because if oil pressure is not at the threshold of protecting the engine then power is cut to the fuel pump to save the engine. This is designed not only to save the engine in oil pressure starved situations but as a safety feature in case of an accident where the vehicle is upsidedown with no oil pressure and the engine continues to run because it is still supplied with fuel from a pump powered by a relay that has no knowledge of a lack of oil pressure. Therefore, if this is your situation then you may begin to look at oil pressure and the connection between the oil sending unit and the fuel pump. This could potentially open up a can of worms. Do you have oil pressure? Is the connection from the oil sending unit to the fuel pump comprimised? Is the fuel pump start relay handing off properly to the oil sending unit? Do you have any oil associated warning lamps activated in the dash? And are all the bulbs working properly. Good Luck. Post back you results and findings for all to benefit from.

When In Doubt...Charge!
#15 Old 07-11-2010, 11:12 PM
New TN User

Lightbulb Stalling out, still

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradN View Post
The car starts and runs perfectly fine then cuts out. It idles fine and i can rev the engine just fine and then it cuts out. It runs fine unitl the fuel relay drops out and then the car stops running. Happens every time. I tired to drive it just to see what happens, but it did not go far.
thanks
Just a thought ... Have U checked the back end????
Seems that all the attention has been on the Feeding end, but a plugged-up backside will also have the same effect.... IE: Catalytic Converter / Muffler / Tailpipe.. Blockage means the old poop-out for u'r pony. http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/im...s/facepalm.gif

Ck for a plug up u'r exhaust's pooter in case someone messing w/ you.
Mine was 2 CC's cratered on a Mazda 929. Messed up both mufflers to boot.
acted just as U describe.

Luck to all,
GC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Previa Forum