Distributor Removal on a 2wd '93 Previa - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Previa Forum Discussion area for the (discontinued) Toyota Previa.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-19-2011, 01:21 PM
Grom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Distributor Removal on a 2wd '93 Previa

Step 1: I removed all electrical connections from distributor cap and the distributor itself.

Step 2: With an 8mm socket on a screwdriver type drive I removed the three screws holding the distributor cap in place and got the cap off and clear.

Step 3: With a 12mm socket on a ratchet with four inch extension I removed the two torx-head bolts holding the distributor body onto the engine.

Step 4: With a 10mm socket on a ratchet with four inch extension I removed the collar bolt from the outboard side of the engine body.

Step 5: The distributor was free to slide out and I pulled it clear of the engine housing.

This is where I'm not sure of how to proceed. There are two hoses connected to the distributor. I don't want to disconnect them without being sure I'm not going to bathe myself in fluids. Any advice would be appreciated.

My repair manual is in the mail, but my van is broke now.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-19-2011, 05:52 PM
Official TN Member

those are breather tubes... no fluid will come out... !!!

1991 Previa (lexus EGG 240) 5 speed manual trans, spoiler, 18"wheels,tint,
1995 "FrankenYota".S/C, dual roof, 5 speed, 4x4 (2wd,4h,4low) lifted
The Following User Says Thank You to cmh1129 For This Useful Post:
McSpankins (07-19-2011)
#3 Old 07-21-2011, 02:01 PM
Grom

(Thread Starter)
Further adventures in distributor-land

Thanks .

Got the breather tubes removed with a pair of needle nose pliers and the distributor came free from the van.

What has led up to this point has been trouble getting the distributor to seat correctly upon re installation. The last attempt resulted in metal shavings coming out with the distributor. This is the view inside the housing:

There is definitely damage , but it doesn't look like the slot has been skewed enough to prevent the distributor tab from sliding in. ( hopefully ) I have a new distributor in hand and am getting ready to attempt another install.

My concern now is that I have no bearing as far as the orientation of the distributor and timing position. Have I entered the realm of paying a mechanic?
#4 Old 07-21-2011, 07:48 PM
Grom

(Thread Starter)
The cure

Right.

So to install the distributor without any knowledge of timing position, There are three things to get set.

First is aligning the timing mark on the drive shaft (white painted stripe on mine) with the zero mark on the timing chain housing. Might need to wipe some crud off the housing to see the marks. I found mine by looking aft just about dead center under the car. Didn't have my camera when I was doing this part. Sorry.

*note* Tires connected to the shaft will need to be off the ground to be able to rotate the drive shaft by hand.

Next, on the distributor itself, there is one groove on the side of the body, near the tang and another on the end of one of the tangs. Line up the grooves.

Then make sure the rotor is opposite of the multi-plug electrical connection.

With these three steps taken, the distributor is ready to be installed. I ended up visiting my mechanic to figure it all out, and I will say being able to stand under my van made everything sooooo much easier.

My van is back up and running.

Hope this might help someone along the way.
#5 Old 07-22-2011, 11:01 AM
Official TN Member

sorry, i was on the road and couldn't answer your first questions... I am glad you got it all in and running...

1991 Previa (lexus EGG 240) 5 speed manual trans, spoiler, 18"wheels,tint,
1995 "FrankenYota".S/C, dual roof, 5 speed, 4x4 (2wd,4h,4low) lifted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Previa Forum