Rear Window Stopped Working - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Sequoia Forum

Sequoia Forum Discussion area for the large Sequoia SUV.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2006, 05:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View glksmith's Photo Gallery
Post Rear Window Stopped Working

Hello, I have a 2003 Sequoia and suddenly the rear window stopped working. Is there a fuse or method used to troubleshoot this? I searched Goggle and Yahoo and have only found one other forum that discusses this and the owner tapped the motor with a hammer to remedy the problem. Has anyone experienced this? If so, please let me know what you recommend.... thanks in advance!
glksmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2006, 11:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
New TN User

View 244437's Photo Gallery
I have a 2003 and the rear window has stopped working, both with the inst. panel switch and the rear door lock switch. Haven't solved the problem yet, but am working on it. I expect it to be the motor or the back door ECU.
244437 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2006, 03:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

View glksmith's Photo Gallery
Hi 244437,

I have an update for you. I ended up taking the motor out and tried the switch on the dash while electrically hooked up and the motor turned fine. When I saw that, I decided to see if my window was jammed and the force was too great for the motor to engage. I took a long screwdriver and leveraged on the teeth of the main gear and the window dislodged from the closed position. It seemed to freely move on the track after doing this. BTW, the exterior panels on the back door is a piece-of-cake. Took 5 min. tops to shed everything with just a screwdriver and pulling.

Put the motor back in and everything is fine...... Saved $350 at the dealer!

One tip I would recommend. The motor has torque bolts and is hard to get a ratchet in. I went to Sears and purchased a 1/4" drive torque socket to fit and it came out much easier that trying any other way. Hope this helps.... good luck!
!
glksmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2006, 09:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
New TN User

Thanks, glksmith!! Your approach solved the problem. There is a technical service bulletin on this problem and the factory recommends removing the mechanical stop on the regulator. I assume that this stop causes the regulator gear mechanism to bind up and stall the motor when the window when it is in the up position. The factory also recommends replacing the motor on 2003 and earlier models. Apparently some people have damaged the motor by trying to operate the window after it has jammed. (besides they get $281 for a new motor!!)
Old 10-08-2006, 09:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
New TN User

View cazmike's Photo Gallery
Sequoia Rear Window

I have a similar problem with the rear window not working on my 2002 Sequoia. Based on the postings, I started to debug the issue. It seems that I am not getting the +12V out of the regulator to the motor at all, just a clicking sound by the regulator. Can anyone expand on this "mechanical stop" that the regulator has? How is this removed? Or perhaps the regulator is just shot? Thanks - Mike
cazmike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2006, 01:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
New TN User

View BobFolsom's Photo Gallery
2001 Sequoia with rear window problem

I have a 2001 Sequoia that the rear window stopped working. Thanks glksmith for the tip. I will try to see if this fixes the prolblem. Thx.
BobFolsom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2006, 01:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
New TN User

The mechanical stop is on the right hand side (left side of car and opposite the motor) of the gear mechanism and is held in place by two small hex head bolts (about 10mm head). The bolt heads are easy to see, but the stop is on the back side of the gear support housing. There is also a small coil tension spring attached to the stop that is supposed to be removed. This fix applies to 2003 and earlier models. Later models require replacement of the Electronic Control Unit (ECU).
Old 10-13-2006, 02:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
New TN User

By the way, Mike, the Technical Service Bulletin on the rear window problem is: "Back Door Power Window Inoperative - EL007-06 - June 14, 2006"
Old 10-15-2006, 10:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
New TN User

View BobFolsom's Photo Gallery
Rear window inop

I disassembled the rear door panel and took out the window motor. it worked fine. I made sure the gears worked to lower the rear window and then reassembled the rear window panel. Everything works fine now.
BobFolsom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2008, 05:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
New TN User

View samurai90623's Photo Gallery
USA Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by glksmith View Post
Hi 244437,

I have an update for you. I ended up taking the motor out and tried the switch on the dash while electrically hooked up and the motor turned fine. When I saw that, I decided to see if my window was jammed and the force was too great for the motor to engage. I took a long screwdriver and leveraged on the teeth of the main gear and the window dislodged from the closed position. It seemed to freely move on the track after doing this. BTW, the exterior panels on the back door is a piece-of-cake. Took 5 min. tops to shed everything with just a screwdriver and pulling.

Put the motor back in and everything is fine...... Saved $350 at the dealer!

One tip I would recommend. The motor has torque bolts and is hard to get a ratchet in. I went to Sears and purchased a 1/4" drive torque socket to fit and it came out much easier that trying any other way. Hope this helps.... good luck!
!
I experienced the same thing on my '03 Sequoia. One day the window just didn't go down. I took it to the Toyota dealer and they told me that the motor was burnt out. Owning the car for 4 years now, we had only opened the rear window maybe 4~5 times at the most! I couldn't believe that the motor would burn out so easily, and unfortunately my car had just passed the warranty period. The dealer (Tustin Toyota) quoted me $600 for a new motor, and another $250 or so for the labor.

I took the car to my trustworthy mechanics Mike and David at Buena Park Auto for a second opinion. They took apart the panel and wiggled the glass a bit and lubricated the tracks and other moving parts of the window. Voila! The window was fixed! Unbelievable.

So, before spending hundreds of dollars and letting the dealers charge an arm and a leg, spend a little time double checking the tracks of the window. My trustworthy mechanics mentioned that due to the LACK OF USE, the window probably froze or just got stuck. Just follow the steps mentioned above by glksmith and you could save yourself a lot of cash and frustration.

Samurai
samurai90623 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2008, 03:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
New TN User

View slowg's Photo Gallery
2005 rear window stuck

This seem to be an on going problem with the Sequoia's. Several of my firends pushed down on the window and another held the button down in the car and it went down. This was good for a while but now it is stuck again.

What is up with this?

I guess I have to get some of the guys again and try it again.
slowg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2008, 04:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
New TN User

View samurai90623's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowg View Post
This seem to be an on going problem with the Sequoia's. Several of my firends pushed down on the window and another held the button down in the car and it went down. This was good for a while but now it is stuck again.

What is up with this?

I guess I have to get some of the guys again and try it again.
You may want to try taking the panel off and lubricate the window track and moving parts. That's what my friend did for me, and told me to open the window at least a couple of times per month even if you don't have to use it.

Samurai
samurai90623 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2008, 02:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
New TN User

View gr8jpn's Photo Gallery
window lockout button?

I am new to the forum, so forgive me if this is too obvious.

I have a 2001 Seqouia which had this same problem last summer.. the rear window would not come up.. (went down just fine with the remote)

I tried everything.. eventually for the tune of $500 or so my dealer replaced the rear window motor.. and all was well for about a week. Then it got stuck down again. I was beyond angry.. drove into the service department.. and the gentleman showed me that I had the window lockout button engaged (can only operate the drivers window with this feature)
(I have 2 toddlers that like to roll the windows down, hence me having the lockout engaged)

This lockout button allows users to lower the rear glass with the remote, but you cannot close it.

So I am perplexed to think I might have I bought a new motor and labor from the dealer for my rear window when I didn't need too (I suspect I had the button engaed before too)

But in any case I have not had any other problems with it.

Last edited by gr8jpn; 03-10-2008 at 09:24 AM. Reason: fat fingered the keyboard
gr8jpn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2008, 11:54 AM   #14 (permalink)
New TN User

View nvsequoia's Photo Gallery
I get this from time to time on my 2001. I find that if I lift and re seat the rear wiper the window works fine. I came across this in another forum. There is a safety switch in the rear wiper. If the arm is not in the proper down position, the rear window will not work.
nvsequoia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2008, 01:16 PM   #15 (permalink)
New TN User

View sequoia05's Photo Gallery
I have 2005 and none of the rear accessories work (e.g. rear window, wiper, defrost) are working. I took it apart yesterday and discovered that the wiring harness was improperly placed such that when the rear window slides down it rub against the wiring harness. Needless to say this has cut through two of the wires in the harness which is what I believe is my problem. I'm taking it into the dealer on Wednesday but it has 65k miles on it so I'm guessing they will tell me tough luck in which case I will just fix it myself. I was just surprised that Toyota would have such a poor design to leave the wiring harness in the travel path of the window.
sequoia05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Sequoia Forum