Timing Belt replacement - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Sequoia Forum Discussion area for the large Sequoia SUV.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 12-31-2007, 07:44 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Timing Belt replacement

I just passed 90K on my 01 Sequoia. It is time to replace the timing belt. How many of you have done this yourself, and do you have any tips to make the job easier? Are there any special tools I should have in advance? I plan to do the water pump and all of the hoses as well. Thanks, VW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-10-2008, 01:09 PM
Former Toyota/ASE Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Sequoia1 View Post
I just passed 90K on my 01 Sequoia. It is time to replace the timing belt. How many of you have done this yourself, and do you have any tips to make the job easier? Are there any special tools I should have in advance? I plan to do the water pump and all of the hoses as well. Thanks, VW.

The only special tool I can think of is a chain wrench to get the crank pulley off. You'll also need a vice to compress the hydraulic tensioner and a strong pin to hold it in place (like a 3mm allen wrench). Other than that, standard hand tools should do the trick. There is quite a lot more to take off than other toyota engines to get to the belt, so my advice would be to get a manual and give yourself plenty of time. Also, if you get the belt from the dealer it will come pre-marked showing you exactly where to place the belt in relation to the cam and crank sprocket markings, makes things a whole lot easier.

Here are some pics from your manual to give you an idea:

-- Get him, boy....

Hello to my NSA pals reading this on Echelon
#3 Old 01-10-2008, 01:48 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for your help! This will help out greatly. Thanks, VW.
#4 Old 03-29-2009, 11:36 PM
Official TN Member

Oh what a joy, just changed the belt, idlers, and waterpump took about 6 hours. Nothing difficult, just a lot of stuff. As explained suggest Toyota timing belt with markings. this really helps when setting up the belt after replacement. Also would only suggest Toyota or Aisin waterpump. good luck everyone.
#5 Old 08-31-2011, 04:57 PM
New TN User

USA The best place i've found for parts online

The best place I've found for parts for my three 95 toyota Japanese 4 runners and my 2003 seqouia limited is Rock Auto. about $200.00 for Timing belt kit including tesioners and waterpump. The best manuals are from toyota, the 4runner manuals are really expensive and the seqoia manuals are a lot less but invaluable for repair. I get to do my timing belt on the sequoia this weekend for the first time.. Fun and games.
#6 Old 08-31-2011, 06:58 PM
Official TN Member

Dont overlook Ebay, that is where I got all original equipment timing belt kits....Did my daughters Sequoia, and yesterday did my Lexus RX400h....By the way the Lexus was tougher, not much room in front of engine to the frame...Sequoia was much easier..

Former RX300 move to Lexus RX400h
Master of everything
Borders, Language, Culture
The Following User Says Thank You to lenore For This Useful Post:
sleepless_slc (09-01-2011)
#7 Old 09-01-2011, 09:03 AM
New TN User

Thanks for the info..
I've got the next 4 days to work on it since the engine has never been touched.
I like to take my time and clean everything while i'm working on them.
My 4 runners are fairly tight but the sequoia looks like you could have a party under the hood.
#8 Old 09-12-2011, 02:23 PM
New TN User

Just completed the timing belt/water pump replacement on my '01 Sequoia. I think it's the first timing belt and the vehicle has 172k miles!!!...I couldn't sleep at night thinking of what might happen but finally got it done.

Some tips:
1) use a box with holes or pegboard to keep track of all the bolts. There are a lot of parts that need to come off and you also want to verify that everything was reinstalled properly.

2) Be careful removing wiring connectors. They will all come loose when properly unlocked. Also, work carefully to remove the camshaft position sensor from the left-hand timing cover (on your right looking into the engine bay). Remove the grommet, then release the wiring harness from the small mount and the small clip below it.

3) My Chilton manual says to remove the mass airflow (MAF) box, but leave it on. There is no reason to remove it and it didn't restrict access in any way. Do remove the intake pipe (from the air filter box to the MAF box and set it out of the way.

4) Remove the radiator - it gives you quite a bit more room to work. You're going to lose your coolant anyway when you disconnect the radiator hoses.

5) Be sure to get replacement o-rings for the heater bypass tube and the thermostat housing.

6) You'll need to remove the alternator. Loosen but don't remove the power steering pump. It is held on by two bolts and one stud. Remove the nut from the stud, back out the bolts until they are free (but no need to remove them), and slide the pump forwards (towards the radiator) so that you can slide the alternator off the top stud that retains it and set it out of the way.

7) My Chilton manual says to apply a 3mm bead of sealant around the waterpump, but my Toyota waterpump came with a gasket. You can use some gasket adhesive to hold it in place, but keep any adhesive away from the rubber portion of the gasket.

8) Use a torque wrench. Most of the thread holes are in aluminum...overtorquing can result in stripped threads and component failure!

9) Route the serpentine drivebelt before installing the fan. You'll need the fan (and fan pulley) in place to finish installing the drivebelt.

Good luck to all who attempt this job! It's time-consuming, but well worth the costs avoided. Work carefully and deliberately and refer to the manual as often as you can. Keep it handy. The schematics posted above are also very handy.
#9 Old 09-12-2011, 03:38 PM
New TN User

I took about 4 hours taking it all apart, I have factory manuals from toyota.
Much easier than doing my 95 4 runners. I found the water pump was leaking and changed that along with the idlers and the belt. It took about two hours to get everything back together and started up perfect but... would not idle.
After driving it around the block and rechecking the timing marks I went to Toyota service on 5400 south state in murray, the techn. told me that since I unhooked the battery the computer lost all its running info and that running the engine at 2000 rpm for 5 minutes would recalibrate the engine. This solved the issue and the engine is great. I really appreciate the dealers technicians for their help.

Last edited by sleepless_slc; 09-12-2011 at 03:39 PM.
#10 Old 09-13-2011, 05:36 PM
Official TN Member

Hey if anybody needs a belt I have a tb298 belt, fits 2003 Sequoia and Tundra....will give to first person that provides postage.

Former RX300 move to Lexus RX400h
Master of everything
Borders, Language, Culture
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Sequoia Forum