Would you buy High Mileage Sequoia? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Sequoia Forum Discussion area for the large Sequoia SUV.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-19-2009, 01:18 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Would you buy High Mileage Sequoia?

Just wanted to get some thoughts on how many miles others would be comfortable with when buying a used 02 to 04 Sequoia? My wife and I really want one for my wife to haul our kids and dogs around but really can't afford anything more than $15k. At that price point most Sequoia's have 75k+ miles on them. My wife puts 12 to 15k on her car a year so need it to last at least 3 to 4 years. I had a 96 4Runner than I sold 4 years ago with 130k on it an zero problems..I'm hoping for the same with the Sequoia.

Please share any thoughts - mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-19-2009, 04:15 PM
New TN User

Milage/Sequoia

Mike:

I've owned my 2008 for less than a year and currently have 15,000 miles on the odometer. My biased feelings are that I'll have this SUV for a long time. I love it. I'm sure that you know that it is not how many miles on the odometer, but the type of miles, ie. city vs highway driving and the quality and timeliness of the service that the vehicle has received over the years. Get as much info on any auto that you are interested in purchasing before you even begin the buying process. Good luck and enjoy your new Sequoia.
#3 Old 05-26-2009, 11:36 AM
New TN User

I don't consider any Toyota with 75k miles to be "high-mileage" unless it was in very rough service for the previous owner(s). When I saw the title of this thread, I thought you were going to be looking at a Sequoia with 150k miles or more.

I say buy the best-maintained vehicle you can find within your price point. Obviously a Limited is going to be more expensive than an SR5 or base model, but it has nice standard features and 17" wheeels. I would have no concerns buying a Toyota with under 150k miles. Based on the driving habits you described, you could probably buy a Sequoia with 200k on the odometer and easily have 4 years/60k miles of good, reliable service. I would ensure that the timing belt has been changed for any vehicle over 150k.
#4 Old 05-30-2009, 08:03 AM
I'm sick of searching!!!

My wife's 2001 was purchased new and has just over 125K miles on it in 8 years. It has been very well maintained and still looks only a couple of years old. I'm hoping to get ~250K miles out of it which means I'll have to do the 90K mile service once more PLUS I'll have to change out the rear latch one more time... Other than that I'm hoping only for normal maintainance.

If you can find a Sequoia you like and the owner has the receipts showing that the normal maintainance has been performed, I'd say buy it for sure!

2006 Tacoma - DR Coilovers, Fox RR 8-Way Adj Shocks, LR UCA's, OME Leafs, M/T Classic Locks, Nitto's, 5mm Spacers, Demello Sliders, AP Bumper & IFS Skid, PIAA 510's, DTLT Headers, Wet Okoles, Timbren's, U-Bolt Flip, 3* Axel Shims, SS Brake Lines, 48" Hi-Lift, Borla A/F, Garmin 765T, Viper 5901, tint
#5 Old 06-23-2009, 04:05 PM
2001 Sequoia Limited

I bought my 2001 Sequoia Limited last Nov. 2008 with 120k on it. The inside was almost perfect and the outside was not too far behind. I bought it for a tow vehicle and so far I love it. The parking brake did not work when I bought it but since I gave less than $9000 for it, I was not to concerned about it. What I did find was the shoes worn out and a seal leak on the drivers side. Nothing too big for me to handle.
#6 Old 12-13-2009, 08:54 PM
New TN User

I traded in my 00 Maxima with 89K miles for an 04 Sequoia that had 90k miles on it in 2006. Now we have almost 130k miles on "the bus" and have no problems other than normal wear and tear (brakes, tires, etc). I plan on driving it into the ground as well as my 04 FX35. Wife and kids want a truck but I don't want to part with either of my cars.
My brother has 98 supercharged 4runner with with 230k kilometers that he is trying to sell up in Ottawa that is an awesome and deceivingly fast truck.
#7 Old 12-14-2009, 11:31 AM
New TN User

we bought our 01 Sequoia a few months ago with 185k. you will find a part here or there that doesn't work quite right but as long as the maintenance has been kept up you should be fine. the 4.7l engine is very reliable.

2001 Sequoia SR5 218k mi
#8 Old 12-14-2009, 04:14 PM
New TN User

You guys are making me feel a little bit better about the purchase I just made.

I just bought an 05 Limited with 114K on it for $14,900.

It has a few door dings and scratches on it but appears to be in pretty good shape mechanically but It's gonna need tires soon. It's loaded out with dvd for the kids, leather, moonroof, tow package, rear air etc... Runs smooth and has lots of power. Everything on it seems to work. Rear seats squeak a bit when no one is sitting in them but i'm thinking i may be able to fix them.

Unfortunately, as far as I can tell they never changed the timing belt... how long should I go before having it replaced? I know it was due at 90K so I'm thinking I should have it done asap!

Also it only came with ONE KEY! and no FOB! when I went and picked it up from the guy he said that was all it had when he got it. I was like Dude! WTF!??

Any idea if I can get a second key from the stealership without it costing me an arm and a leg? I only have one key and I don't have that little id tag that they probably need.
#9 Old 12-14-2009, 08:02 PM
New TN User

yeah get that timing belt done. 90k is the recommended interval. replace the water pump and idler pulleys while you are in there.

2001 Sequoia SR5 218k mi
#10 Old 12-26-2009, 10:48 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurr View Post
yeah get that timing belt done. 90k is the recommended interval. replace the water pump and idler pulleys while you are in there.
This is fairly cheap insurance. It cost me about 4-500 to have done and you don't want the timing belt breaking on you. I am sure that the 90k suggestion is a tad bit on the conservative side since they want you to bring it in for service so they can make their money, but it also isn't worth the risk of not doing it either. I've got 238k on our '01 and aside from a few little problems it is running fine.
#11 Old 12-29-2009, 04:31 PM
New TN User

Guys, I am about to go test drive a 2003 Toyota Sequoia SR5 with 115k miles. The owner is asking for $12k--based on Edmunds, it's correctly priced. Anything i should watchout for? I appreciate advice from any current owner. Thanks.
#12 Old 12-29-2009, 07:40 PM
New TN User

Timing belt!!!!
#13 Old 01-01-2010, 10:29 AM
New TN User

12k?

I just traded my 02 limited with 125K on it for an 08 - I really had to push hard to get more than 8K out of it. The auctions are only getting around 8-9K out of them. I would think your price should really be around 10K or less. I go to autotrader.com and cars.com to see what they are being marketed for. This is how I found my 08 - and I think I did well, $29K, 40k miles, leather and sunroof (SR5). I was also lucky in that it was only 40 miles from my house.

BTW - The power-train was very strong and reliable on my 02. There were a few annoying things on the 02 that I had to fix, rear hatch handle - twice, trac-control light would come on if the brake fluid was not topped off.

Why did we trade-up, easier access to the third row, better MPG, more power. The main thing we would like to have on the 08 is heated seats.

Another plus with the 08 with the 5.7 - timming chain!
#14 Old 01-15-2010, 07:33 PM
Official TN Member

I just bought a 2001 SR5 4WD with 146K on it for $8K. The person had all the maintenance records since they bought it and it was in very good condition with some minor things (tires, roof rack cover) to take care of.

I figured I could get about $5K for my 98 4Runner SR5 with 208K on it, to offset the Sequoia purchase. So, its a good upgrade IMO.
#15 Old 11-12-2014, 08:36 AM
New TN User

When I purchased our 2002 Sequoia for $44,000.00, I really felt it was a big investment and didn't know if it was a good investment. With five children it has a lot of wear, this week we reached 310,000 miles and it has been from the Florida Keys to Bar Harbor Maine. Recently I had the Sequoia in for service and asked the service manager when the engine would begin to fail. His response was, "the sky is the limit" and he explained there are Sequoias arriving for service with between 400 and 500,000 miles.
Maintenance is the key, our Sequoia runs just below 2500RPM's at 75 miles per hour, it still gets 14 miles to the gallon but is super dependable and the car payments ended in 2007. I don't believe I could sell the Toyota for anything over $2,000.00 with such high milleage and there is no reason to sell it. We just returned from a 3,400 mile trip, they are great family SUV's. We are currently looking for a 2008 with around 100,000miles for $24,000.00 but have no intention of selling older model. 11/12/2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Sequoia Forum