Front door panel removal on 2003 Sequoia - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Sequoia Forum Discussion area for the large Sequoia SUV.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-17-2009, 12:33 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Front door panel removal on 2003 Sequoia

I was told that I have a 10 speaker set up and the factory front door speakers are made up of one large speaker with a smaller one to the side, and it goes on as one unit. So since the sound is bad on both sides I will remove the door panel to look and see but it's my wife's car and I don't want to damage the panel cause she will make me buy a whole new one. I need to know if there are screws to remove around the handle or if it just pops off. one more question, will after market speakers fit in the cavity or do I have to use factory only speakers. Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-21-2009, 01:52 PM
New TN User

if yours is anything like the 02 there looks like there is a screw under a knockout under the handle and another in the opening where you open the door. the 02 has a bunch of what look like push pins. i would have to mess with them to see how they work and i don't want to do that. i think those are 6 1/2 in speakers which are pretty standard. the smaller speaker inside of the larger speaker means it is a 2 way speaker. if there are 2 smaller speakers attached to a larger speaker that is a 3 way speaker. this allows for better sound. you can check out sites like cruchfield to find upgrades. be careful when taking off any interior panels. i have damaged quite a few in my day of backyard car audio.
#3 Old 11-22-2009, 10:55 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Thanks alot for the infor. I will work on it tomorrow now that I know where to start...
#4 Old 11-26-2009, 09:36 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Well I first went to the parts store and got a door panel tool for $6 and some change. I got my flat 2 inch putty knife and a small Phillips screw driver, I removed 3 screws then with the putty knife it was inserted between the inner door panel and the metal door. As I moved the knife around the panel it would stop at a plastic insert and there is where the door panel tool would be inserted to pry the door panel away, there was about 10 of them. Now there was also two plastic inch long dowel about ˝” thick on the outer most upper part of the door panel. Now the panel was all loose except where the door handle and lock button connects to the door frame, I had removed a screw there earlier but it was still connected some way, I then had to pull on the whole panel (driver side) to my left until it snapped out the metal door. I then removed the whole panel to the side and removed the blown out speaker, it was a 7 ˝ inch and I had already bought 6 ˝ inch speakers. I don’t know if they make an aftermarket 7 ˝, only a factory speaker($250.each). Well I found an adapter that fit into the old plastic casing so I could install the 6 ˝ speakers. Everything was put back and the other side went much faster. Well no more vibrating blown sound just clean sounds, I guess I will start on my truck speakers tomorrow, Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Sequoia Forum