Replace two catalytic convertors? Codes P0420B and P0430 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Sequoia Forum

Sequoia Forum Discussion area for the large Sequoia SUV.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2010, 08:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View wovedog's Photo Gallery
Cool Replace two catalytic convertors? Codes P0420B and P0430

I own a 2002 Sequoia with 127K miles on it. Two years ago, I had one of the catalytic converters replaced with an aftermarket one (due to an emissions test failure which indicated that this was the issue). Now, I am attempting another emissions test, and the codes being provided by the shop are P0420B and P0430. I was quoted over $3,700 to replace both of them with Toyota OEM parts, which is highly recommended by this shop (they say due to frequent failure of aftermarket converters). In any case, I've had to park the vehicle while I attempt to save up the necessary amount.

My questions: should I trust the codes here, or could there be a faulty oxygen sensor which is triggering the codes (even though the sensors indicate that they're indeed working ok)? Further, do you agree / highly recommend that I replace these catalytic converters with OEM parts? My wife still likes the vehicle, and we've decided to repair it and move forward. One more thing, if OEM parts are the order of the day, do you have a recommendation as to where I might order them at a discount?

Thanks very much in advance for your insight / advice on this!
wovedog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2010, 10:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
30YRTOYOTAPARTSEXPERINCE

Gameroom cash: $418400
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
View TOYOPARTSMAN's Photo Gallery
I am going to send you a PM for some information. But as far as OEM parts goes, I sell to TN members for 30% off MSRP and I only charge actual shipping costs plus $1.00 - $2.00 for materials.

In my opinion, I frequently see how someone trying to save money comes back to haunt them later. With that being said, when you did the aftermarket pipes, did you replace the Oxegen sensors then? You have a total of 4 sensors on this vehicle, so anything is possible. Before I went the replace two new pipes, I'd chech and eliminate everything first. If you trust this shop and you take it to them regularly, chances are they are on the up and up, if not, I'd seek a second opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wovedog View Post
I own a 2002 Sequoia with 127K miles on it. Two years ago, I had one of the catalytic converters replaced with an aftermarket one (due to an emissions test failure which indicated that this was the issue). Now, I am attempting another emissions test, and the codes being provided by the shop are P0420B and P0430. I was quoted over $3,700 to replace both of them with Toyota OEM parts, which is highly recommended by this shop (they say due to frequent failure of aftermarket converters). In any case, I've had to park the vehicle while I attempt to save up the necessary amount.

My questions: should I trust the codes here, or could there be a faulty oxygen sensor which is triggering the codes (even though the sensors indicate that they're indeed working ok)? Further, do you agree / highly recommend that I replace these catalytic converters with OEM parts? My wife still likes the vehicle, and we've decided to repair it and move forward. One more thing, if OEM parts are the order of the day, do you have a recommendation as to where I might order them at a discount?

Thanks very much in advance for your insight / advice on this!
678-854-9601
TOYOPARTSMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to TOYOPARTSMAN For This Useful Post:
wovedog (11-16-2010)
Old 11-16-2010, 08:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

Thanks much, TOYOPARTSMAN! To my knowledge, the sensors weren't replaced when I had the aftermarket cat installed two years ago. Yes, I trust my current shop, but they aren't really creative solutions-oriented - they simply provided me the codes and said that the cats needed replacing (per what the codes indicated).

Would it make any sense for me to simply replace all four sensors, reset the check engine light, and then see what happens? Or, should I take it to a dealer to have them run the steps that are contained in the pdf that you sent me via PM? I am fairly handy (comfortable with performing oil changes, brake pad replacement, etc.), so is changing the sensors something that I should tackle myself?

Thanks again for your insight and advice!
Old 11-16-2010, 04:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
30YRTOYOTAPARTSEXPERINCE

Gameroom cash: $418400
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
View TOYOPARTSMAN's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wovedog View Post
Thanks much, TOYOPARTSMAN! To my knowledge, the sensors weren't replaced when I had the aftermarket cat installed two years ago. Yes, I trust my current shop, but they aren't really creative solutions-oriented - they simply provided me the codes and said that the cats needed replacing (per what the codes indicated). From what I read, you check the sensors first.

Would it make any sense for me to simply replace all four sensors, reset the check engine light, and then see what happens? Here is the gamble if you go that route. We had a car in our shop just last week, a highlander, where 3 fo the 4 sensors were bad. Other than that vehicle, I have never seen where a vehicle needed all four sensor at one time. Now, in your situation, I am not sure if that wasn't needed two years ago or not. Or, should I take it to a dealer to have them run the steps that are contained in the pdf that you sent me via PM? You could, but I suspect they would tell you the same thing I would, we have to put OEM Cats back on before we could test the system. This is the area where a Dealer cannot properly diagnose a car because it may or may not be up to Specifications. We don't have the abilty to test and check other manufacturers equipment and parts. I am fairly handy (comfortable with performing oil changes, brake pad replacement, etc.), so is changing the sensors something that I should tackle myself? The only thing I see as a problem here is that I have seen those sensors get stuck and even experienced techs have had trouble. If you go this route, spray and let the sensors soak using PB blaster. Since these were replaced two years ago, you shouldn't have to much trouble.

Thanks again for your insight and advice!
Professionally, I'd love to sell you two new CATs, but personally before I did that I'd suggest you try the most economical and less expensive route. IF IT WERE ME AND MY CAR(I wouldn't have used aftermarket CATs, sorry) I'D TRY THE FRONT TWO SENSORS FIRST. RESET THE SYSTEM, AND IF IT FAILS, TRY THE TWO REARS. THEN PROCEED TO THE CATs.

As for the sensors, you can get them from me, but I have heard other members use aftermarket, either Bosch or Nippondenso. Nippondenso is the manufacturer for Toyota. But, and I emphasize BUT, you are having a repeating problem with this issue. I would seriously suggest spending the extra money and get OEM ones. Whether you buy them from me or not, at least this way you know that you have OEM sensors. If it doesn't solve your problem and you end up having to replace the CATS with OEM, you can at least transfer the OEM ones to the new CAts.

I'll give you my reasoning with this direction. 4 sensors total will run you a lot less than two new CATs. Just because you replace two new CATs doesn't mean that a sensor isn't bad in there too. 2002 Sequoia, sensors are about due, at least I am playing the odds. Unless you put new sensors in, that is a reasonable assumption. Under my thought, you have at least done a process of elimination with parts that you can use and transfer if it doesn't solve the problem. The only down side, is monetarily where you will always wonder if you had spent more money than needed.

Let me know if this makes sense to you, and if you have any questions, want to run an idea by me, need more information, or think I am off my rocker PLEASE feel free to contact me. I don't mind running all the different scenario's down with you, etc, and if you think I'm crazy I won't be offended. My only desire here is for you to get you car fixed, and fixed properly, with the least amount of expense and headache possible.

678-854-9601
TOYOPARTSMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to TOYOPARTSMAN For This Useful Post:
03CamryLEV6 (06-08-2012)
Old 11-16-2010, 09:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
New TN User

All makes sense to me, TOYOPARTSMAN. I'll send you a PM to talk about the particulars, but I plan to proceed with replacing the front two sensors, and I'll update the forum here with the results.

Thanks!
Old 12-29-2010, 03:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
New TN User

Smile

Well, just to update the forum, I ended up purchasing two OEM catalytic converters and had them installed. TOYOPARTSMAN talked with a master tech, and we decided that this code definitively indicated replacement of the CATs was necessary and appropriate.

Check engine light has stayed off, and the vehicle passed state emissions test, so we are back on the road.

My thanks to this forum, and especially to TOYOPARTSMAN for his insight and assistance with this!

Happy New Year!
The Following User Says Thank You to wovedog For This Useful Post:
TOYOPARTSMAN (12-30-2010)
Old 01-03-2011, 12:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
New TN User

View kintosol's Photo Gallery
I had the same code numbers described here, replaced all four O2 sensors on '01 Sequoia about six months ago and codes had not come back.
kintosol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2011, 10:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Vote for me! Toyota.ca!

View T100Supra's Photo Gallery
Ya we just had our cat go on our 2003
It sucks but ya OEM is the way to go... payed alot for it but its got the best warranty
Plus it fits better and sounds alot quieter than it did
Not sure about the codes... I can look them up one day but ya they had ours on the computer and the cat was dead
We had to reset our computer too as it was some recall thing
Anyway lights came on our dash and was messed up
Abs, traction, another traction, check engine
Ya go to dealer is the best choice, they know what they are talking about

Ohh ya and use premium gas! We have always but I guess the old owners didn't so it was bad for the CAT. The dealer asked us straight out if we use the better gas, makes them last longer, but again you pay for it. If we didn't after like a year of owning it we wouldn't have gotten away with it for so long. It probably was ready to go when we first bought it =( .Both our old beasts only get the finest... either 91 or 94 octane, same with sequoia. Full synthetic AMS oil or quaker only used... Toyota's last but you gotta give them the proper fluids
1982 Celica Supra hopefully some day

Last edited by T100Supra; 01-07-2011 at 10:30 AM.
T100Supra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2012, 07:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
New TN User

View makatak62's Photo Gallery
I had P0430 at 178k in my '01 Sequoia. Replaced front sensor and code returned, then replaced rear sensor and code has stayed away. From reading diagnostic theory on P0420/P0430, the O2 sensors must be performing optimally or the code will show up...of course, it could be a bad cat as well, but I'd much rather replace two O2 sensors for $110 before replacing an $800 cat.
makatak62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Sequoia Forum