2008 sequoia rear tire wear problem - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Sequoia Forum Discussion area for the large Sequoia SUV.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 12-17-2010, 09:09 PM
mwn
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
2008 sequoia rear tire wear problem

I have a friend with a 2008 Sequoia 275- 20 tires (?) that has worn the inside of the rear tires to the core in 60,000 kilometres/38000 miles. It had a 4 wheel alignment 10 months previous and the dealer did not indicate anything was wrong. Today they say everything is up to Toyota specs. Nothing they can do.

Does this generation have a problem with premature wear tire wear? My guess would be that the dealer misaligned the rear end (he said it is independent) or the original specs are in error. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-21-2010, 08:48 AM
Official TN Member

Just looking from the back at the way my sits I'd not be surprised if the inner edges of the rear tires wore prematurely. When parked, my rears seem to be spread that way. But I'm not seeing poor wear on mine yet either. I have 28,000 miles and I think I've rotated the tires once. I had to replace one rear tire around 15,000 miles, but the other is original and looks OK. I still have the sipes on the inner edge. I'll be rotating as soon as time and weather permit and will get a closer look then.

2009 Corolla S 5-speed
2008 Sequoia Limited

#3 Old 08-05-2011, 08:54 PM
New TN User

Worn inside edges also . . .

Firestone told me 5k miles ago the inner edges were wearing faster, wife told me it was pulling right a bit, Firestone told me last week they aligned it to the max adjustment and toe / camber still out of spec. Followed my wife to SERVCO Toyota here in Hawaii (rear tires look like an old VW Bug) and was told they would check it for $130. but would probably have to install the same shim kit Firestone offered. Not a warranty issue. They agreed with Firestone that some models (Corolla) need after market kits to bring the adjustment range back into spec. No abnormal wear for first 20K miles, but we moved into a neighborhood with many speed bumps, some not perpendicular to roadway. Who knows. He thought Hawaii potholes. Guess its back to Firestone to upgrade to Lifetime Alighnment and shim kit. The Dealer Service Manager gave me his card to have Firestone call him if they found a defect and he would send someone to verify.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Sequoia Forum