rear hatch window problem 03 sequoia - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Sequoia Forum Discussion area for the large Sequoia SUV.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-28-2011, 02:09 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
USA rear hatch window problem 03 sequoia

03 Sequoia SR5 2WD V8. the rear liftgate window stopped working except using the remote and then only goes down.

I was able to access the rear liftgate window motor removing the inside trim panels and accesed the motor. lucky I had a 12 volt cordless battery and some spare wire was able to disconnect the motor control wiring and thank God the motor was good and I was able to close it hot wiring it direct.

I also noticed at this time that the switch for the lift gate window in the front by the stering colum does not work up or down.

I did some checking and notice there is a electronic door module in the lift gate that clicks when I use the remote to open the rear power window. and it works.

When I try to use it to make it go up it clicks and the window stays down. I am not familiar with the Sequoia door module operation or how the front swicth interacts with it or does not. but do know that the module in the rear does nothing when you try the front switch not a sound.

Anyone that may be able to help with either a wiring diagram for the lift gate window or just some experienced knowledge about how it all operates together would be greatly appeciated.

Checked every fuse inside and under the hood, They are all good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-28-2011, 02:20 AM
Before "THE WRECK"

iTrader Score: 7 reviews
As it has happened to many people....did you check the window lock button on the drivers door? If pushed down it disables operation of the rear window switch on dash also.
#3 Old 09-28-2011, 02:40 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Glad you mentioned it It was locked at the time it tried it. because I had all the windows down and they did not want to go up till I checked the window lock. but why will the liftgate window work going down only with the remote reguardless of the window lock and then not back up except when hot wired. I'm wondering if the door control module in the lift gate has a problem. but I do not claim to know anything for sure.

Would love a wiring diagram to help me in trouble shooting. Have meter and can read schematics. that would show me what I need to know to be sure about its operation. and thanks for the input all is welcome.
#4 Old 09-28-2011, 03:01 AM
Before "THE WRECK"

I remember the same scenario and it had something to do with being able to load groceries etc even if the window lock was pushed. Haven't used my factory remote in years so don't use it that way.

PM me your email address. I'll look for my CD with the wiring diagram and try to send you a PDF in a couple days.

Don't you hate it when you go through all the trouble shooting and find something simple? I had an HID headlight not working so went through all unbolting my ballast and replacing with a known good spare, removed headlight to check bulb etc. all to find that the fuse had a crappy connection in the aftermarket harness.

Last edited by sequoiasoon; 09-28-2011 at 03:04 AM.
#5 Old 09-28-2011, 03:13 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
yeah I do hate that. have had some hid experience my self on a acura and those ballast are not cheap.
#6 Old 09-30-2011, 01:13 AM
Before "THE WRECK"

I also remember for some reason (but would need to confirm in the manual) that the remote only works for putting the window down NOT up. Did you try the key in the back lock also when you were doing it? I think left is unlock and then if you hold it the window goes down then right locks truck and rolls window back up if held.

I know I questioned it at the time as it seemed weird but think that was the answer provided in the manual and from Toyota.
#7 Old 10-21-2011, 10:29 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
thanks to all for the help

I did find the problem I had no owners manual to go to for info about it's operation.It was purchased used without it.

thanks again problem solved think the front window lock was it for the front switch I was also replacing the rear latch at the time. I am a used auto dealer and it was a friends SUV I offered to repair for free. And thanks sequoiasoon for all the great advice I receieved here from you. thanks to you Its working fine now.

Last edited by rustoman; 10-21-2011 at 10:54 AM. Reason: wanted to give thanks to the member that helped. Hes a great guy and was absolutley correct with all his information.
#8 Old 03-13-2012, 08:42 PM
New TN User

2001 - 2007 Toyota Sequoia
(Rear Window Repair)

I would suggest reading the complete Technical Support Bulletin at the bottom of the page before attempting the repair yourself. It is much more detailed than the pictures and notes that I have provided below. The color photos simply make it easier to see the actual parts.

This photo tutorial is meant to help the average guy fix his own vehicle after the warranty period has expired. The official Toyota Technical bulletin can be found at the bottom of this page or can be downloaded as a PDF file. It appears that the faulty rear window defect has been a problem on Toyota Sequoia’s since 2001 and continued through at least the 2007 year model. I am not sure why the problem part was not removed at the factory, especially after Toyota knew what was causing this issue early on in the model year. The body was completely changed for the 2008 year model and it is not know if this defect is present.

In my particular case, the rear power window, wiper & washer, and electric rear window defroster stopped working while still in warranty. A Toyota dealership in Texas made that repair at around 30,000 miles. The ECU computer and power window motor were replaced. At that time, a part called a “metal stopper or brake” which was malfunctioning and jamming the rear window gear was supposed to have been removed and discarded. Unfortunately, as time will tell, the technician forgot to remove the defective “metal stopper or brake”. About six months after that repair (and after moving to another state) the entire system quit working again. Now that my Sequoia is out of warranty, the dealership in my new state refused to fix the system again under warranty and said the repair would be somewhere around $600. Not Happy!

http://www.piranamedia.com/_ToyotaRearWindowRepair/

POSSIBLE FIX: If your vehicle has never had the repair made during the vehicle warranty period, try this first. If all three rear window functions are inoperative (1) power window, (2) rear window defroster, and (3) wiper/washer function;;; Reset the ECU computer module. To do this, (a) turn on the ignition key, (b) hold the power window in the UP position for 10 seconds. Note - You may hear a click in the rear door panel from the reset ECU (which is a good sign). Turn the ignition switch off and back on again. Check to see if the rear window defogger button light now works and also the rear wiper/washer. If they do work, also try the power window, although it probably will not move because of the defective “brake”. If all are still inoperative, try doing the reset again, but hold the power window button in the DOWN position rather than the UP position as before. (It took me several times to get this to work. Mine did reset, but the window would still not work because the technician forgot to remove the brake). If still nothing works, the ECU computer, power window motor or both may be burned out. Let’s hope that is not the case because the ECU is $247 at the dealer ($188 on the internet), and the power window motor is about $200. And don’t forget the dealer’s labor.

RESET DONE: If you were able to get the defroster and washer/wiper to work, you will need to remove the plastic rear door panel to access the defective part. Now you can start looking at the photos I have included below. They are listed in the order of parts removal so you can get to the defective part. At this point, you must read the Toyota Technical Bulletin to get the detailed instructions for removing the plastic panels since you won’t want to break or destroy the plastic parts and connectors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Sequoia Forum