Rear window, defrost and wiper not working - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Sequoia Forum

Sequoia Forum Discussion area for the large Sequoia SUV.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2012, 06:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View rvm4's Photo Gallery
Rear window, defrost and wiper not working

Hi,

I'm a newbie. I've read several threads on this topic. I printed off the rear window TSB's tried to follow them as best we could but we did not have any success.

I have a 2006 Sequoia. About a year ago, the rear window, defrost & wiper stopped working. I took it to my local independent mechanic along with the TSB's. He did some diagnostics and potentially other work (didn't tell me) and the defrost and wiper began working again. The mechanic said they were working intermittently, but the wiper and defrost worked as expected.

Over the summer, I tried to put the rear window down. When it did not work, I tried to reset it as I have read on this forum. It still would not work.

Immediately after trying to put the rear window down, the defrost and wiper stopped working again.

My indy mechanic thinks the window motor needs to be replaced. My DH thinks the ECU needs to replaced.

I found the motor online for around $250. We cannot locate a vendor for the rear ECU. I won't buy from eBay. I cannot find the part at rockauto.com either. Can anyone offer the part number and/or reliable vendor for new, genuine Toyota parts.

I rarely use the rear window and I don't care if it does not work. I do, however, want the rear defrost and wiper to work correctly.

Given the symptoms, do you think both the rear ECU and the window motor need to be replaced?

Thank you!
rvm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2012, 03:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Before "THE WRECK"

iTrader Score: 7 reviews
View sequoiasoon's Photo Gallery
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...r-not-working/

Once you have it working use the suggestion of each time you fill up, lower and raise the window and then find at least a new indy mechanic....DH might be harder/ more expensive to get replacement.

Also read the posts about water leak in the rear (I added some comments so search my posts here at TN and at TS). While the parts are being worked on it's easy to prevent problems if you know what to expect.

Last edited by sequoiasoon; 01-03-2012 at 03:08 AM.
sequoiasoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View bluedeval03's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvm4 View Post
Hi,

I'm a newbie. I've read several threads on this topic. I printed off the rear window TSB's tried to follow them as best we could but we did not have any success.

I have a 2006 Sequoia. About a year ago, the rear window, defrost & wiper stopped working. I took it to my local independent mechanic along with the TSB's. He did some diagnostics and potentially other work (didn't tell me) and the defrost and wiper began working again. The mechanic said they were working intermittently, but the wiper and defrost worked as expected.

Over the summer, I tried to put the rear window down. When it did not work, I tried to reset it as I have read on this forum. It still would not work.

Immediately after trying to put the rear window down, the defrost and wiper stopped working again.

My indy mechanic thinks the window motor needs to be replaced. My DH thinks the ECU needs to replaced.

I found the motor online for around $250. We cannot locate a vendor for the rear ECU. I won't buy from eBay. I cannot find the part at rockauto.com either. Can anyone offer the part number and/or reliable vendor for new, genuine Toyota parts.

I rarely use the rear window and I don't care if it does not work. I do, however, want the rear defrost and wiper to work correctly.

Given the symptoms, do you think both the rear ECU and the window motor need to be replaced?

Thank you!
I also have an '06 that I had the same issue. My issue started AFTER I had to take the rear hatch apart to replace the broken lift gate handle. I had to take the plastic panel back off the gate. Remove the plastic cover over the 10mm bolt that retains the gate pull down strap. Then carefully remove the plastic cover, this tool or one similar works great for not doing any damage to the panel, especially with it being winter the colder temps can allow white stress marks to show in the plastic by "man handling" it . http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...7CGRP2107_____

Once you have the cover off, you will see the black box that all of the electrical connections go into. Pull on the plugs to see if one is loose, if not loose, go ahead and remove and reconnect the plugs. Mine still never worked until I smacked this black box, whether by coincidence, or if there is some sort of sensor in it that was "stuck" but these were the steps I had to take to get mine to work again. BTW, have fun replacing the damn rear handle. Hit me up and I can walk you through that PITA job.
bluedeval03 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluedeval03 For This Useful Post:
T-Yoda Enthusiast (07-29-2012)
Old 01-17-2012, 08:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View silverxls's Photo Gallery
before you buy expensive parts, read this link... you may just need to reset the ecu again to get wipers and washer working....
http://www.piranamedia.com/_ToyotaRearWindowRepair/
silverxls is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to silverxls For This Useful Post:
bluedeval03 (01-17-2012)
Old 01-17-2012, 11:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View bluedeval03's Photo Gallery
a shame something like this can't be made a recall to help take of owners from wasting money.
bluedeval03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
New TN User

View suess13's Photo Gallery
bad part in the window needs to be removed.

reset the ECU by holding it down for 10 second once the key is in the inition position. you should hear a click once it resets, after this turn off the key then back on. don't try the window switch yet, try your wipers instead if they work the problem may be a defective part in the back window called a latch or brake.

http://www.piranamedia.com/_ToyotaRearWindowRepair/
suess13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
New TN User

View Darth Baiter's Photo Gallery
I just had the SO come home and report no rear wiper, no rear washer function. Thought about it and put the rear window down and then up - all fixed. If the window isn't seated fully the wiper and washer sense that and will not work. I've had the "window goes down and will not come up" issue. It tries to come up and then reverses itself. I think it's a safety measure when the window senses resistance, it reverses. Maybe twice in the last 2 years and mostly in the cold. Open the hatch so the window is horizontal and then try and close the window fully. That's worked every time as there's less resistance. FYI - I have an 08.
Darth Baiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Yoda: Small & Green :-)

View T-Yoda Enthusiast's Photo Gallery
FWIW,

My wife told me ... sometime in January, that the rear window wouldn't go up or down. Since the wiper worked, and the defrost worked, I wasn't in a rush to do any investigating. I appreciate the responses above to where to look for the TSB, and it was quite helpful, although not exactly the same problem.

So today.....july 29th, I finally got to take a look at the truck. First I followed the tsb for the access information, and then diverted just a little bit. After removing the panel, I took my test light and disconnected the connector that ran to the yellow sheathing covered wire that fed into the lift motor

With the help of an assistant (my lovely wife), I tested to see if the truck was supplying power to the motor or not. With the test light grounded, I pinned the pink wire coming out of the harness that led to the connector to the motor. The test light came on, and the relay was clicking in the ecu. So, I'm getting power to the motor..

An old chevy trick.....

I reconnected the wire harness together, an took a faithful hammer to the motor housing itself. One wack with the hammer, and the window began working. Apparently, the brushes are bad in the motor, hence the lack of up or down movement of the window.

An old man (something that I'm working on being in the near future) told me to KISS......

Keep it simple stupid !

Always look for the simplest solution first.... then get more technical.

94 SR5 Extended Cab, 3.0L, 5 spd manual, Spray on liner, Leer Cap (god forbid!), Class 4 hitch w/ 7 pin connector, HD front sway bar, Air Bag Load leveler in rear .....and a 2003 Sequoia SR5

Last edited by T-Yoda Enthusiast; 07-29-2012 at 06:01 PM.
T-Yoda Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
New TN User

View LuckySailor's Photo Gallery
had the same problem with my 06 with the wiper and defrost not working. The window is not up "all" the way. Toyota service manager told me to hold the up/down button up for a count of 5 and release. If that didn't fix the problem so it again for a count of 10. Which ever count it was I don't remember, but it reset the sensor and all is fine again. Now the rear hatch lever is another problem! Stupid design, I'll leave it for another day. Stupid design!
LuckySailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
New TN User

View MYDAKRRI's Photo Gallery
I know this is an older post but I have the same problem. I do a reset and the wiper and defroster work again, but the minute I put the window down they stop working again. So then I have to do a reset. As long as I don't put the window down all is fine.

Any ideas on how to fix this??

Thanks

Last edited by MYDAKRRI; 11-07-2012 at 09:55 AM. Reason: spelling
MYDAKRRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:24 AM   #11 (permalink)
New TN User

View MYDAKRRI's Photo Gallery
I removed the "brake/Spring" and everything works. It's an easy fix...

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...r-not-working/
MYDAKRRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Sequoia Forum