1992 Landcruiser problems starting - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Land Cruiser Forum Dedicated Land Cruiser discussion forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-02-2010, 03:31 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
1992 Landcruiser problems starting

I've got 2 issues that happen on a daily basis

The ignition keys turns to start position but nothing happens. No clicking of starter, it doesn't crank over, nothing. Battery is good. Usually when this happens I try a couple more times and it will start.

The other problem I have is the truck will crank over but will not start. Usually what I do after 2 attempts is pray LOL and after a couple minutes of sitting it will start.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-06-2010, 12:28 PM
New TN User

sounds like a starter is going bad to me... same symptoms for about two weeks and one day it died on me, ON A HILL. definitely get it replaced ASAP so you don't need to get a tow.

if this is your first time getting the starter problem, it sounds about right (even lucky) for for an 18 yr car.

also, if you're good with tools, you can try to rebuild the starter yourself. check out ih8mud.com for walkthroughs and part #'s. i know they have parts and guides for the 80 series at least. and Cruiser dan can probably source you the parts for cheap... you'll probably need new contacts. the only thing i'm worried about is that it cranks and still doesn't start, it could be that the starter motor isn't getting enough juice due to bad contacts, or, worse case, there's also something wrong with the motor itself.

if you're pretty sure it's not the starter, I would check the starter relay to make sure all the electrical stuff is in good condition.

good luck!
#3 Old 09-07-2010, 01:22 AM
New TN User

I had the same problem with my 91 landcruiser took the starter to get it tested and its good the battery was the problem wasnt holding the charge it only had 8 volts and needed 10 volts to make the car work. I replace the battery with a diehard and it solved the problem. Hope this is any help...
#4 Old 09-12-2010, 06:22 AM
New TN User

I once had what I thought was a bad Alternator (alternator light showing once started). Cruiser would start but not charge. Turns out the battery was low on voltage; low enough to not fire the Alternator exciter circuit.
A new battery fixed the problem. Your problem sounds more like starter solenoid/brushes though, although cranking and not starting may point elsewhere. A voltmeter across the battery terminals whilst cranking should not drop to less than about ten volts from memory.
West-Oz

Last edited by West-Oz; 09-12-2010 at 06:27 AM.
#5 Old 08-21-2011, 07:05 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
1992 Landcruiser starting problem

I have the same issue. Only when extremely hot out (above 95) I turn the ignition and nothing happens, no clicking starter, no crank, nothing. I wait a few minutes or after a few more attempts and it starts right up. If I have been driving it for awhile on a hot day I do not turn the vehicle off because it takes over 30 minutes before it will even crank. and this is the weird part ... if I have access to a water hose, i can spray the engine down and it will start. ??? Battery is fully charged, gauge never reads hot. Makes no sense. Had the starter tested and was fine???

Now I have a different issue. It cranks over but won't start. No sparks. It has always started right up whenever it cranks so I'm thinking these two issues are the result of the same problem. any ideas?

Before I start replacing points, caps, efi, starter etc I wanted to see if anyone had this same issue and what the cause/fix was.
#6 Old 10-23-2011, 03:47 PM
New TN User

U can also try changing the main relay fuse. I read in another website that it has a tendency to overheat n burn out. Its in a fuse box on the driver side under the hood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Land Cruiser Forum