Do FJ Cruisers require Premium Fuel? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > FJ Cruiser Forum > General FJ Cruiser Discussion

General FJ Cruiser Discussion Discussion forum for the all-new 2007 FJ Cruiser!

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2008, 09:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View SilverCamry02's Photo Gallery
Do FJ Cruisers require Premium Fuel?

I noticed in the latest ConsumerReports Annual Auto Issue that it said the FJ Cruiser takes premium fuel? I couldn't find anything on the Toyota site that said if it did or didn't. Is this true?
SilverCamry02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2008, 03:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View taco B's Photo Gallery
No its not required, will run a bit better on premium but will run perfectly fine on 87
Old 03-22-2008, 12:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

View Tubbz's Photo Gallery
I use regular gas in my FJ with no problems, on the advice of my mechanic. Apparently Toyoto erroneously printed that premium fuel should be used in the FJ owner's manual, that's where this all came from. This has been quite the topic, lots of info about this on the net.
Tubbz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2008, 12:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
New TN User

View Skeletool's Photo Gallery
Someone on another thread said that using premium gas will get you another MPG or two. If that is true then it makes sense to use it because if you add about 15 gallons every time you fill up, and premium is $0.20/gallon more, then per fillup it costs $3.00 more. If you get 1 MPG more then you go 15 miles more per fillup... If you get an average of 17 MPG, then to go 15 miles uses 88% of a gallon. At 3.50 per gallon, 15 miles costs $3.08. So using premium will cost you $3.00 more per fillup, but save you $3.08 per fillup. So the cost really cancels out, but if it is better for the engine then it makes sense to use it.
Skeletool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2008, 12:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View wonger's Photo Gallery
doesnt the gas door even say use premium fuel??
Old 03-22-2008, 01:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
New TN User

You're right, it even says it on the gas door, but premium fuel isn't mandatory for the FJ. I spoke to a Toyota dealership in Edmonton, Alberta and the salesman there told me that he has no idea why Toyota put that on there and that they fill up all the dealership's FJs with 87 octane. However, as mentioned in another reply to this thread, there are numerous other reasons to use premium fuel, it just isn't a "must" for the FJ - so I'm told.
If my engine conks out in a few months, then I've been wrong!
Old 03-22-2008, 02:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubbz View Post
You're right, it even says it on the gas door, but premium fuel isn't mandatory for the FJ. I spoke to a Toyota dealership in Edmonton, Alberta and the salesman there told me that he has no idea why Toyota put that on there and that they fill up all the dealership's FJs with 87 octane. However, as mentioned in another reply to this thread, there are numerous other reasons to use premium fuel, it just isn't a "must" for the FJ - so I'm told.
If my engine conks out in a few months, then I've been wrong!
yea its not mandatory.. vvti can adjust for the lower octane fuel
Old 03-23-2008, 12:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View Wolfman's Photo Gallery
I was told by a university of toyota rep the reason for 91 is to achieve LEV II emissions rating but it runs perfectly fine on 87.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
New TN User

Question

What does the Level II rating business do for them? Just curious
Old 04-01-2008, 01:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
New TN User

View ricohman's Photo Gallery
The FJC engine was mapped to take advantage off premium fuel. In other words the engine was designed to run on premium but will back off the advance until the knock sensor says it ok.
This leads to less power and a bit less economy.
Will it run on 87? Sure it will.
Will you get the same power and economy? No it won't.
I discussed this in the Black Hills with some Toyota reps when we were discussing the new Tundra's fuel requirements. And although the new 5.7 is spec'd for regular fuel (unlike the FJC) they recomend premium when working the truck (towing ect).
He then told me the the new 5.7 was just like the V6. Designed to run on premium but can be run on regular. Toyota just didn't want to introduce a full size that needed premium fuel.
ricohman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2008, 10:59 AM   #11 (permalink)
New TN User

View vhakim's Photo Gallery
I am over the fuel issue but on to the locking gas cap? where do I find one? also does any one know about the rear door? Can it be adjusted to open from the inside in case of emergency, or is there an emergency open latch I am unaware of?
vhakim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2008, 11:41 AM   #12 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhakim View Post
I am over the fuel issue but on to the locking gas cap? where do I find one? also does any one know about the rear door? Can it be adjusted to open from the inside in case of emergency, or is there an emergency open latch I am unaware of?
beware on buying locking gas caps.. since alot of them are cheapys and you may throw a evap code ( check engine light ) this has happen to a customer with a fj

dont think there a emergency latch for the rear door since its not the only way out.. you have 2 doors up front . the emergency latch is only needed if it is the only way out like in the trunk of a car.. alot of suv dont have handle on the inside of the back door
Old 07-29-2008, 01:56 AM   #13 (permalink)
dustb-gone

View dustb-gone's Photo Gallery
Fuel and Locking Gas Cap

Locking Gas Cap: It was $9.99 including shipping in April and has worked great ever since. This was a Fram RG-791

Premium fuel: Asking a salesman --- what? The inside of the gas cap door says it all --- PREMIUM FUEL -- the computer on the FJ was optimized for premium and it controlls the engine heat, fuel mixture, throttle, everything. Using anything else will result in less power, poor timing, and less economy. We get between 19.9 to 20.5 all the time, with 44,000 miles on it. We always use Loves gas as it comes from Texas, not Ca. so it doesn't have all the anti pollution gunk. (good info if your in the southwest). Also get yourself a Discover OPEN ROAD credit card with 5% cash back on all auto purshases and you'll only pay a price between regular and plus and your Cruiser will run better too!

Hope this helps

dustb-gone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > FJ Cruiser Forum > General FJ Cruiser Discussion