Toyota Nation Forum banner

DIY: OEM Cruise Control

480K views 729 replies 230 participants last post by  dmil74 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Moderator Update:
WARNING! Read through this thread before buying parts to attempt this mod. Not all trucks came pre-wired (bigger risk in later years). As a result, more parts and work may be involved in getting it running.

Alright! After waiting nearly 3 months, I finally ordered my parts and tried it out on my 4-cylinder to see if it would work, and it did! All the safety features work (clutch switch, brake switch) and the stalk works perfectly. The kicker is, if you are even somewhat electrically/mechanically inclined, this "mod" is cheaper than that crap aftermarket system that requires you to cut wires.

Here's what you'll need to order for this to work:

84632-08021 Cruise control switch (this is the stalk)
45186-0C020-B1 Steering wheel cover (order based on your steering wheel cover color)
88280-14030 Clutch switch (only needed if you have a manual transmission)
84633-04020 Cruise control wire (this is what connects the stalk to the steering wheel spinal)
90080-15079 1/2" 10/32 screws (you could save some money and get these at a hardware store)..thanks to parkinglot and Tacobama for letting me know about this oversight.

I got all these parts online through Toyota of Dallas.

Here's the tools you'll need:

T-30 Hex driver
10mm socket (long)
3" extention
Socket wrench

And the disclaimer: I cannot be responsible for any damages that may occur because of your negligence. Please be careful and have someone qaulified to do this if you are unable or unwilling.

First thing is first, you need to disconnect the battery.

Then remove the side panels of the steering wheel with a screwdriver. Be careful because they scratch really easy. Put the tip to the screwdriver in closest to you. A writeup of the next couple steps can be found here. Special thanks to Hank6500 for the how to.

Then remove the screws that hold the airbag in place. They are the T-30 Hex screws. Remove the clips behind the airbag carfully with a screwdriver and remove the ground at the bottom of the airbag.

Here's what it should look like once you remove the airbag completely:

Now you need to remove the wire that was the ground on the airbag. It has a white connector into the steering spindal. Remove that and replace it with the new one you ordered. The connector that is attached to that wire will go into the cruise control stalk. Slide the stalk in like shown below and tighten the screws. It should fit right into position.

Once you get the stalk secure, put the wire into the stalk, and put all the wires connecting the airbag bag on. Then bolt the airbag back into place and snap your covers back on. Here's what the final product will look like:

If you have an automatic transmission, you are done. But if you have a manual, you'll need to install the clutch switch. I have very generic directions on how to access the area you'll need to get to.

You'll need to find this connector underneath. It'll be taped up, but it shouldn't be too difficult to get undone. This is the clutch switch wire.

The clutch switch will go in the circle seen below. It was a complete bitch to get in this area, but even with my large hands, I was still able to access it. Take note of the distance from the top of the plate to the bottom of the blank nut. You'll need to have the same distance when you put the clutch switch in its place.

You'll probably need to remove the lower dash panel to access the clutch switch (and beleive me, it's easier!). Here's how to remove the lower dash panel to get to that switch. Thanks to remelad from TTORA. Remove the 4 bolts that attach the fuse block. Then move it out of the way and you'll be able to see where the clutch switch is supposed to be.

It's hard to get a pic, but this is the best that I came up with.

Here's the bolt that will be taken out and replaced with the clutch switch. Make sure after you screw the clutch switch into place you connect the connector to the switch. Otherwise the cruise will not work (because it'll sense that the clutch is being pressed).

Enjoy your new OEM cruise control :)

See less See more
#8 ·
Todder said:
Aw come on. Is it really that easy? Nothing needed under the hood, just plug and play? If it is all that easy, I'll order up the parts a.s.a.p. It would make life so sweet for us cheap bastards that didn't opt for cruise to start with. Did I mention, I'm cheap?
That's seriously it...it's sad that $100 in parts you can do it yourself, or opt for one of the many $1700+ packages for the Tacoma to get it...just wierd that a AC 4 cyl taco can get it with the convenience package, but not the reg cab....thus I was the guinea pig for this mod...

#9 ·
OK...I installed the "crap aftermarket" cruise control I have been very happy with it. It works great. But, I do like the OEM look of this setup, so do you know if the clutch switch from my aftermarket unit can be used with this one. That clutch switch is a PITA to install and I'd rather not have to do it again.

Thanks,

Ken

#10 ·
ynnek63 said:
OK...I installed the "crap aftermarket" cruise control I have been very happy with it. It works great. But, I do like the OEM look of this setup, so do you know if the clutch switch from my aftermarket unit can be used with this one. That clutch switch is a PITA to install and I'd rather not have to do it again.

Thanks,

Ken
I think it'll all depend. Ultimately, yes, you should be able to use it because a switch just cuts (or sends) power to indicate that the clutch is depressed. If you can look up into the wiring harness where the clutch switch is located, you'll see the pic that I posted that is the stock switch connector. If your connector is not like this, you can still use your current one, you'll just have to splice wires and reconnect them. If you need any other help, let me know.

#13 ·
Doubt it...unless you have a V6...I'm sure the wiring harness is completely different. I don't think the 4 cyl reg or access cabs have the option for the upgraded radio...I could be wrong though.

I think you would have to replace the airbag with a different module anyways...

#287 ·
I didnt have as much luck

The cruise control parts wont work on my 03 tacoma. the plugs, covers and bolt hole patterns are different. Guess I should have tore it town and compared to your pictures before I ordered. Ive got $147.00 dollars shipping and all in this kit. Ill let it go for $100.00 shipping encluded if anyones interested, email me at bigrigeddie@hotmail.com
P.S. Kit includes everything to install a cruise on a toyota plus a clutch switch.

#16 ·
awesome! the installation of this "mod" is wicked simple and works great. and it looks exactly like from factory. i love how toyota prewired the entire option up to the steering column.
i have an automatic, so i don't know how the clutch switch install compares, but my experience was enjoyable. i ordered the 3 parts (stalk, wire shroud, cover) and bought 2 machine screws ( 0.5"L 10D x 32T ) at the hardware store. disassembling, installing the cc parts, and reassembling it all took less than 10 minutes.
great diy, thanks!

#20 ·
Okay folks --

I've got to say this DIY is absolutely incredible. It tool me a little over an hour including the clutch switch installation. Unbelievably easy!

A couple of notes:
- Pay very close attention to the photos. The clutch switch is mounted behind the driver's side J/B and must be accessed from the top after you remove the lower dash panel and J/B. I was thinking I could get to it from underneath but it's just not practical.

- Yes -- you'll need (2) 1/2" 10/32 screws to attach the stalk to the steering wheel. It doesn't come with them.

A million thanks to mhadden for paving the way for this mod. I owe you one!

#21 · (Edited)
No problem, Tacobama.

Yeah, I bummed my switch from a test vehicle we had at my old job...it was a cut up Scion, so the stalk wasn't going to be used...I figured the screws would've come with the stalk until TN member parkinglot PMed me asking about them. My apologies for not including them in the write up. I will edit the DIY to include the screws for ordering (though you should be able to get them at any hardware store).

#22 ·
OK...an update.

I originally installed the aftermarket cruise control in '05 and have been very happy with it. Works great. Rock steady on maintaining speed. Anyway, I do like the OEM look, so I went ahead and ordered the OEM parts. I decided rather than removing the aftermarket unit, I would just install the steering wheel stalk and see if it would work without me having to install the clutch switch again, which is a PITA. Turns out it works great! So, for those of you with the aftermarket unit, you really only need to order the stalk, wire harness, and cover. Since I ordered the clutch switch anyway, I may go ahead and replace it at a later date.

#24 ·
Installed mine today (V6 auto though). Spent about 8 minutes unscrewing, unplugging, re-plugging and re-screwing. Then I sat there for another 5 minutes trying to figure out what I had missed. The thing is, I didn't miss a thing. This install is easy! Thanks so much for the DIY mhadden!

#352 ·
You stated you installed the CC on your V6, a couple of quick questions please. I have a 2000 Pre Runner V6 with A/T and want to install CC, are the part numbers at the beginning of this thread compatible with the V6 or just the 4 cylinder? Did you purchase the needed parts from a salvage yard, ebay or ??? Thank you for your time.