Toyota Nation Forum banner

rear lights...

5K views 47 replies 15 participants last post by  Chalkie 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
rear lights...(need better reverse lights)

Hey all,

I have a long driveway, and work keeps me out till about 1am and when I get home I have to back up to another vehicle, or if I am leaving(ecspecially during the winter after fresh snow) and its dark out I have a hard time seeing the edge of the driveway, or seeing how far the black vehicle behind me is.

I upgraded to the Taco from a GMC Canyon and that had a nice rear light when in reverse. The Taco seems to only have the lights on the brakes.

Anybody have a good solution for setting up more lighting when in reverse??

Even if I have to mount something on the back of the cab and have a separate toggle for it(which would be nice actually if I can tap into the bat and have it run when the truck is off...)

Thoughts? Anyone do this already? I looked through the DIY thread and didn't see it...

#2 ·
Hey all,

I have a long driveway, and work keeps me out till about 1am and when I get home I have to back up to another vehicle, or if I am leaving(ecspecially during the winter after fresh snow) and its dark out I have a hard time seeing the edge of the driveway, or seeing how far the black vehicle behind me is.

I upgraded to the Taco from a GMC Canyon and that had a nice rear light when in reverse. The Taco seems to only have the lights on the brakes.

Anybody have a good solution for setting up more lighting when in reverse??

Even if I have to mount something on the back of the cab and have a separate toggle for it(which would be nice actually if I can tap into the bat and have it run when the truck is off...)

Thoughts? Anyone do this already? I looked through the DIY thread and didn't see it...
Here you go, works great, I did it. http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tacoma/85760-back-up-bulbs/

#4 ·
Thanks! I'll look into both of those options more when I get into work tonight.

I am not setup for towing yet(already over budget when signing the paperwork and could not bring myself to pay another 7 or 8 hundred for something I don't ever use.)

#5 ·
heh I was just trying to post up the same thing 2 tacomas did, but TN timed out during my reply.... I'm planning on getting one myself sometime since it's cheap, bright, and no wiring to deal with! :D

#6 ·
^ the only thing i dont like about that plug in light is that i haven't seen any modification that we can add that will make it theft proof. and if taking it off/on is the theft proof solution, then that makes it a bit inconvenient. some people have posted their reverse lights on here. i like the slimmer lights, they're more subtle :naughty:

#7 ·
yeah, I know.... But it's cheap and doesn't require any wiring. I would wire some up under the bumper, but I've scraped the hitch and tore my 7-pin off so under the bumper isn't really an option either.

I'm more concerned with it falling out rather than being stolen.

#9 · (Edited)
I know reverse lights aren't normally on very long, but those don't produce too much heat do they?

Edit:
I see Pb said they don't get too hot, but that was after 2 weeks. Kinda curious about longer term.

#10 ·
#11 ·
That light is a few bucks cheaper here:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=96066

And I have one of these stores local to me here in Santa Rosa.
yeah that's the cheapest place I could find it too after some searching. They used to go for less, but maybe it's popular now so price has gone up. :dunno: I figure it'll still be cheaper for me at Cabellas or other local store. Tax is probably less than anything more than free shipping! :lol: Even eBay had them for around $30 with shipping. No more sales or deals on them I guess! :sosad:

#20 ·
#21 · (Edited)
I myself won't do anything unless I can get them up and out of the way like I did on my '86 pickup. They are just a generic 55 watt driving lamp in the configuration I needed for mounting.

Marc M

#28 ·
I shopped around in the area today for that plug-in backup light but NO GO! Looks like it's gonna be another "Order it online" thing.

#29 ·
I am a little confused(and keep in mind, I am a PC and Gun guy so I don't do much work on my truck).

If I am not mistaken, the 886 lights are halogen fog lights. So I basically will just pop the light housing out and replace the factory lights.

Sounds like I need to cut some wiring or some of the light base though to make it fit??

The Push, I really like the Hella lights you have installed, and at about $90 that seems pretty reasonable. I guess my only question is how easy it is to tap those into the back up lights power source?

Thanks again for all the input!

#30 ·
I am a little confused(and keep in mind, I am a PC and Gun guy so I don't do much work on my truck).

If I am not mistaken, the 886 lights are halogen fog lights. So I basically will just pop the light housing out and replace the factory lights.

Sounds like I need to cut some wiring or some of the light base though to make it fit??

The Push, I really like the Hella lights you have installed, and at about $90 that seems pretty reasonable. I guess my only question is how easy it is to tap those into the back up lights power source?

Thanks again for all the input!
Use a dremel tool to cut the base off of the light bulb. You will be leaving as much of the two wires that went into the base as possible. You then will put the light into the truck light base. It will be a little wiggly, but it will hold. Don't get finger oil on the bulb or clean it with rubbing alcohol or it will burn out prematurely.

If you decide to put some lights under your bumper, I would find the back up light wire INSIDE the cab of the truck and make all your connections there so they are out of the weather. There should be two (one under each front seat) rubber grommets to push the wire through under the truck and down the frame rails.

#31 ·
Agent Smith

I just went and bought 2 886 bulbs, when you say cut the base off are you refering to the 90 degree plastic. When you cut the base do you cut it so it is flush with the flat part of the light where the plastic comes to the 90 degree part. Any help would be great thank you.

#32 ·
Yes, cut the plastic base off, but do not cut the metal prongs flush with the flat part of the light bulb. You need as much "prong" to insert into the Tacoma light base as you can. Be careful, these things tend to be delicate. I had a prong break when I did this and had to buy another bulb. Haven't had one shake loose yet while it was installed!

#34 ·
Leave them straight, don't attempt to bend or tweak them, you'll only break the glass surrounding them at the bulb end. Simply insert into the Tacoma bulb socket, make sure the bulb is clean, test by putting truck into reverse (truck off, parking brake on!) then button it all back up. Simple, no?

#36 ·
On the reverse light socket there are little metal contacts that squeeze together to hold the bulb tight. You can use some needle noze pliers and squeeze the contact together. This will make them grip the wires on the bulb a little tighter.

#45 ·
Just wanted to say thanks again!
I just did the install and it was so easy!!!!

It only took about 20 min and I ws going real slow to be careful.

Well worth the time and money!!!!:thumbup:

#46 ·
:lol: I just did some today too! :D First above-freezing day we've had in a month! I was feeling motivated! :D Some el-cheapo Wal-Mart driving lights ($15) under the rear bumper with a relay spliced into the reverse + wire for now. Whenever I get around to a dual battery setup I'll probably wire in a switch to turn them on whenever I work out of the bed. But for now the relay will work. Especially since it was free! :naughty:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.