Toyota Nation Forum banner

2009 Tacoma Satellite Antenna

31K views 30 replies 19 participants last post by  Crüe Head 
#1 ·
I've seen some other questions (including my own) on how to use the prewired satellite antenna on 2009 tacomas. Here is the answer:

1. access the left side kick panel. The satellite antenna connector is square in shape and is gray in color:

2. You need this part:
http://www.tss-radio.com/lexus-shark-fin-antenna-adapter-p-5647.html
It is the vais tech SFA12M (vaistech.com)

3. Plug it in like this:

4. Connect the other end to your XM or Sirius receiver.

See less See more
#3 ·
I should have given more info. I am using sirius with the Eclipse AVN6620. I haven't completed the final install yet. I have the head unit and all the components installed, but I just ran the wire from the satellite antenna connection to the sirius receiver to test it and it receives great.

Tomorrow or Sunday I will re route the wires and place the sirius receiver box and the eclipse controller unit under the left kick panel...or maybe behind the head unit, depending on what is easier.

#4 ·
If anyone reading this thread knows...are any of the other wires in the photo constant power? I need to find somewhere to splice into a constant power source for the sirius receiver so that my presets are saved.

I can't believe I just hijacked my own thread...now back to searching to see if someone has already answered this question.:hammer:

#11 ·
Having just taken delivery of my new Tacoma earlier this month, I too am interested in hooking up the factory installed "satellite-ready" 6CD changer stereo to also receive satellite programming. I'm already an XM subscriber and purchased all the necessary gear (Soundlinq interface, mini-receiver, antenna cable, cables, etc) from myradiostore.com for a grand total of $350.49.

Hooking everything up should be a snap if things are as simple as the documentation suggests. What I do not know though, is how to safely take apart the dashboard in order to access the rear of the head unit. Is there anyone 'out there' who can share the secrets of removing the various plastic pieces on an '08 or '09 so that I don't accidently break something? I'm quite mechanically adept and am familiar with many of the fasteners that are used in attaching interior trim, but I'm not above asking for help from someone - anyone who has already dismantled the dash. Photos would be great, but any descriptions would be helpful. In return, I'll post a photo-essay of the process so future DIYers can have the benefit of this added experience.

TIA,
Mark

#14 ·
Without sounding un-mechanical, is the kick panel easy to remove? I don't want to rip it off by accident.
Easy enough. Two step process:
1.) Remove the plastic door sill which just pops straight up.
2.) There is a small plastic "nut" on the firewall between the footrest and the kickpanel which holds the back edge of the panel to the floor. Unscrew it, then the kick panel can be removed by pulling it straight back (straight toward where the door sill was). If you pop off the foot rest, getting your fingers onto the plastic "nut" is easier. The foot rest just pulls/prys/pops straight off.

The panel is held in place by that plastic "nut" and two tabs that seat into clips on the door frame. You'll have to pull hard, but it will come straight back without breaking anything.

After removing the bolts that secure the head unit, disconnect all the wires, otherwise it will dangle there and end up scratching the dash trim... don't ask me how I know.

I did an XM installation using the Vaistech SL2xmt interface and the XM "mini-tuner". The interface electronics, tuner, antenna cable and shipping came to $350.49. Perhaps I should have inquired at the dealership before jumping in and buying the components myself. I've never been convinced that the dealer can/will do work of this nature cheaper than I can. Oh well...

http://www.myradiostore.com/xm-radio-receivers/soundlinq2-lexus.html
The antenna cable is a rip-off ($$$), but you have to have one. Took about a half hour to install - don't know if the hardest part was tucking the electronics out of the way behind the head unit, or getting a wire pulled from the footwell up to the head unit.

#13 ·
I am taking delivery of mine in the next few days. I told the dealer if the XM receiver was less than $300 to just install it. I think it was like $288 installed. I was surprised it was going to be here within days and commented that I thought it wasn't released yet. I was told there is no problem getting the receiver but if your truck is not pre-wired it is the install kit that they are holding back on. Pre-wire is standard with the TRD off road and sport packages. I figured it would only add about $5 a month to the loan and I won't have to try and install it myself in this crappy colder weather without a garage and on a truck I just got. Plus if they screw up the install it's covered under the warranty!

#18 ·
Having just done the installation, I confirm that the wire is NOT there.

The OEM wiring goes from the actual antenna to the connector behind the kick-panel. It is up to you, or an install service/dealership to supply and route the proper wire from that connector to the radio head unit.

#16 ·
u can order the fit kit and tuner for 199 from the dealer ......

#19 ·
link no i was there and walked over to the parts dept, he showed me the parts an stuff, dont rememer part number

#20 ·
Fit Kit

What dealer was this at. I am in maryland and my dealer told me that the fit kit is not availible yet. They did tell me that the 2009 that are being made now are shipped with the wire already installed and behind the stock radio. I will check later today to see if mine is there

#23 ·
What dealer was this at. I am in maryland and my dealer told me that the fit kit is not availible yet. They did tell me that the 2009 that are being made now are shipped with the wire already installed and behind the stock radio. I will check later today to see if mine is there
Same story here. My dealer just told me that the fit kit would probably not be available until December. The receivers are but the fit kit is not.

#21 ·
mike ferrell in chapmanville wv.

#24 ·
Mine was ordered and supposed to be here last week. They got the receiver and then went to install it and found out they needed the fit kit too - we all assumed that "pre-wired" meant all you needed was the receiver, but it turned out they still needed the fit kit. They ordered the fit kit and were told there were 7 in the warehouse, but were told today they will not get it until the 15th so they gave me an IOU (I wanted the truck!). I am told the receiver will be installed behind the rear seat (access cab). I argued about that because people here were talking about mounting it behind the radio or behind the kick panel but they say Toyota's instructions are to put it behind the seat. I don't care as long as it works.

#29 ·
XM Radio

I purchased an XM Radio (Commander MT) because the Tacoma had an XM antenna on the roof. I've been a Sirius subscriber for many years. I am just wondering will the connection from the Toyota XM antenna plug right into the Commander MT or do I need an adapter? I've read some posts that say the Toyota XM antenna connection is under the left kick panel and you need an adapter, and some that say the Toyota antenna connection is behind the radio and will plug right into an XM radio..............
Thanks for all the help!

#30 ·
I just got a Sirius Stratus portable receiver as a gift, I was wondering if anyone has purchased a cable, plugged it in under the kick panel and plugged the other end directly into a portable car mounted receiver or vehicle dock? It looks like you can do it with this cable? http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=1153

It sounds like the previous conversations here were about hooking the cable up to the factory stereo and activating a Sirius XM account on the Head unit, correct? I want to be able to use my built in SAT antenna when my Sirius is in the truck, but remove my Sirius unit to use in my boombox. Anybody doing this?

THANKS!

#31 ·
You should be able to just fine. The antenna plugs should be the same. I just got an 09 Taco double cab. I installed the dash mount bracket for my portable Sirius recevier. I had an extra antenna so I just it instead of ordering the cable. My wife just offered to buy the in dash kit for my b'day, so i will definately be ordering the cable now. The Braketron dash bracket vibrates awfully bad, so I can't wait to get the in dash kit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.