Toyota Nation Forum banner

97 LE 4 cyl, should I keep? What would you do?

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  AliRazoR 
#1 ·
have a 97 LE 4 cyl, 180K miles
The last job was a tranny replacement (used, 110K) at 178K miles, $1200

I have this car since 97, 2nd owner. All works done at Toyota dealer.
While the car was out last time, I went shopping for a car and end up with a 06 Avalon Limited. I listed my Camry for $1500 with many people wanted to buy. At the end, I decided to keep it and I fixed it. It runs great now and my wife took the Avalon away.

My Camry has a few issues
1) 2nd timing belt will be needed soon
2) sticky IAC valve. Car will not hold idle most of the time on startup. I have to press the gas, break to get my car out of the drive way but one it's out, it runs ok
3) engine oil leak. probably from head gasket and "main seal"? I guess
4) car shakes when braking
5) tires wore out from the outter, probably need new tires in the future
6) center seat belt on the rear doesn't work
7) some side wipes, dings... from parking lot

Otherwise, car runs quiet and strong.

What would you do? Does it make sense to spend more money to keep everything up or just leave it as is?
I am thinking about selling it and get another ride. My budget is around 9K regardless how much I can get from my Camry ($2k? $3K?)
What rides? 97-01 ES, LS, BMW 5/7? no 3, too small?

Any input will be great

See less See more
#2 ·
My Camry has a few issues
1) 2nd timing belt will be needed soon

2) sticky IAC valve. Car will not hold idle most of the time on startup. I have to press the gas, break to get my car out of the drive way but one it's out, it runs ok
3) engine oil leak. probably from head gasket and "main seal"? I guess
4) car shakes when braking
5) tires wore out from the outter, probably need new tires in the future
6) center seat belt on the rear doesn't work
7) some side wipes, dings... from parking lot

1. The timing belt is an easy job to do and a good investment if keeping (or selling) the car. Good tutorials on here for it.

2. I have the same symptom but it has not gotten persistant enough for me to fix it yet.

3. You have to trace where the engine oil is coming from. Clean the engine and note where it is coming from (ie from the timing belt cover = oil seal that you'll change while doing TB anyway, all along the top of the engine = valve cover gasket, etc)

4. Warped rotors it sounds like, easy fix and you can buy rotors so inexpensively these days I would just replace them.

5. Fixing #4 "may" help, but check alignment and inflation of tires too. Worn struts or strut mounts, other suspension stuff can cause that.

6. Depending on how often you have 5 folks in your car (we hardly ever do), this one hinges on.

7. Part of having a 13 year old car. Our's has them too. ANY car can be banged up from a shopping buggy, doors in parking lot, teen drivers, etc.

And any car is eventually going to need these type maintenance items done. If you have a reliable car, it doesn't make sense (to me) to go out and "start over." Our 1997 Camry has like 192,000 miles on it and is still a pleasure to drive, good and strong. Hope this helps.

Tracy

#4 ·
I have this same situation and thinking about what to do.

For the oil leak, I believe thats just a simple gasket that can be replaced easily. At 150k on mine I had the gasket replaced, but I cant remember which gasket.

Here are the prices for everything that you are talking about:

1) 2nd timing belt will be needed soon - $450
2) sticky IAC valve. $150 for the valve from Rockauto - $150 for the labor at independent mechanic

3) engine oil leak. $100 I think.
4) car shakes when braking ignore it
5) tires wore out from the outter, probably need new tires in the future - get the cheapest set you can find

One idea is to fix the car up in the cheapest way possible...i.e.aftermarket rotors, cheap $60 tires, independent mechanic etc. Then use the car for local use only meaning going to the grocery store, etc. OR use the car once or twice a week so as to limit mileage on the other cars.

#5 ·
the thing I am doing right now is just to put as many miles on the car as possible. Over the weekend, I found out my bathroom has water damage and will need to come up with $2400 to have it fixed :(

I think that pretty much say it all. Keep the Camry for now.

#6 ·
#2 is an easy clean with throttle body cleaner... $10 at most, take air hose off, spray and wipe, and spray some more.

#7 ·
Many people suggested this solution and I tried it. Didn't work for me. My guess is sure the IAC valve is "sticky" and is to the point that I can't really use throttle body cleaner to clean it (maybe I should have done it way back when I experience with this problem)

I guess I can take the part out and clean it. But then if I spending all the time to take it apart, may as well replace it? I don't know. So for now, I just need to press the brake with my left foot, give a little gas, put it in R to move out of my driveway, go straight for 1 block on the street, everything works ok

#9 ·
When you cleaned the throttle body did you spray the cleaner liberally down in to the port in the base of the throttle body? That's where the idle air control valve exists. I usually recommend spraying down there first and let it soak for 10 or 15 minutes while you go on to clean the rest of the throttle body. If not, I would try it again. Here is a good DIY tutorial on how to do it.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158097

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.