Toyota Nation Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2005+ Tacoma Modification DIY Articles

409K views 33 replies 21 participants last post by  dbbd1 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. These are some great mods for the '05+ Tacoma. I'll leave this thread open, so if anyone has a link to other good DIY articles, please post them here and I will add them to this first post.

DISCLAIMER: Do at your own risk. Toyotanation will not be held responsible for any damage to vehicle or bodily harm when performing these modifications, or any Voidage of certain parts of your warranty.

Exterior Mods:
UCA Install-Toku58
ABS Clip for UCA's-6shooter
Fog lights Always On -Pb
Detailed Fog Light Always On - SWTRDSPORT
Add Bed Lights & Backup Lights -Pb
DayTime Running Lights Mod -Toku58
DayTime Running light ON/OFF-HookEm
Clear Corner Headlamps -Blangkang

Black Headlamp Housing -05XRunner
Black Emblem -NorCal Tacoma
Swapping black door handles for color matched handles -57HotrodVW
S2000 Projector & HID Retrofit -eyevan
Louder Horn -kinewave
Locks for the bed storage doors -TW-floridaoccifer
Combination locks for the bed storage doors -padlinout
Tailgate Security-Pop & lock and hose clamp mod -Hughes500Pilot
Extra Bed Rings -MrGrimm
Tailgate Alarm -JackSnodGrass
Tailgate Storage -Hughes500Pilot
Alternative Bike Mounts -ThunderStruck1
Trailer Harness Relocation -MrGrimm
Painting Wheels -Phi Kai
Diff Lock Anytime
Power lock "BEEP"-dbbd1
LOCKER MOD Alternative-dbbd1
Bumper plugs -Rhino8541
Fog lights behind grill-ilovetacos
Under hood lights- mjonags32
Bed lights-mjonags32
Bed Speakers-majonags32
Installing blocks to lift your rear-lotust
Side marker as turn signal-PB
Light bar and lights install-G-forcexl
Custom T O Y O T A grill emblem-Toku58
Fog Lights "a la DTRL mode"- caribe_makaira
Satoshi Grill mod-lwyattl
How To Debadge and Rebadge"- juddemt
How To: Install A Power Pop&Lock-griffin407c
Front Wheel Bearing Replacement 4wd Taco -Jamfred774
How To: Install A Power Pop&Lock on 09'+ Tacoma-dpenfield
Engine Block Heater Install-Maxama10
Locking Gas Door-eAreEyeSee

Interior Mods:
Installing Complete Sound system -Cam2Xrunner
Change the color of the instrument cluster -jotaro
Change the color of the stock radio lights -slvrAZtaco
Illuminated 4x4 Switch -08TRDOFFROAD
Get rid of the open door buzzer -Cam2Xrunner
Get rid of the open door buzzer (alternative method) -ToyoBlair
Add OEM Cruise Control -mhadden
Add OEM Cruise Control - 2013 M/T -Ashley Rivers
Add OEM Intermittent Wiper Switch - Dcaplan
Boost Gauge Install xrobber
Shift light Install-Blangkang
Make an inline fuse quick & cheap -Pb
Map Lights come ON w/ Dome lights -Pb
Add In-Cab 110 AC Outlets -Pb
Cig Outlet always on - cheg
Add HomeLink/AutoDimming Mirror -Pb2theMax
Auto Dimming Mirror Install -SandMan-
ScanGauge Overhead Console Mod -Pb
Tire Pressure Monitor disable -ncpaladin
Cathode Footwell Lights-GrantGrant
How to remove the door panels to gain access to replace speakers -Cam2Xrunner
How to remove radio & how to install iPod2car
More info on ipod2Car -kpagel
Auxilary Input Install for factory CD player -Hughes500Pilot
USASpec DF-TOY Install for Aux Inputs to Stock Stereo -MrSharkey
Hardwiring Radar Detector -nicoj1222
Add Cabin Air Filter in '05 Taco -MikeX
Front window rattle fix -Cam2Xrunner
Programming Keyless Entry
Disabling the seatbelt alarm -TRDtoy79
Steering control color change -slvrAZtaco
Heated Seats Mod- Janster
Door Arm rest mod-menacekustoms
FJ Cruiser Switch Bezel Mod.-griffin407c
LEDs (Lights) Made Easy: Interior & Exterior-mceagle555
Steering Wheel Control Color Change -slvrAZtaco
110v factory inverter - Always 400w when in Drive -Krookz
Removal/Painting of steering wheel emblem-iamrayzian
How To: Install a USB Charger/Connection Port in a Factory Blank-ElectronMan
DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter -05Moose

INTERIOR ISSUES
A.C. FAN TICKING -eyedoc
Center Console Latch Fix -Jamfred774
Overhead Compass/Temp display resistor resolder -MCMIXMASTER
HVAC blower motor resistor replacement -Garyods

Performance Mods:
Toytec lift install -SMTRDSPORT
Tacoma 4.0 Exhaust FAQ -jubrown57
B&M 70255 Auto Transmission cooler install -Lotust
Hayden 678 Auto Transmission cooler install -oxnard111
Removing Secondary Air Filter -HILLCLIMBER
Clutch fan to Electric Fan -Pb
OffRoad Diff breather mod
Airbox Mod -55Reasons
Short Throw Clutch Pedal -Sonny
Useful info on modding the Sport Hood Scoop -Pb
Custom intake that could be combined with the Hood Scoop Mod -05XRunner
AEM/K&N Intake Hybrid -Boone
Diff Breather
Differential Breather mod "For Dummies"-Neubs
Information on lifts for 05+ Tacoma-Toku58
MAF Calibrator MAP sharing-wjdunn3
Alignment 3" lift and UCA's-Toku58
5100's install-luka
ABS Disable Switch-landphil

Maintenance:
Lubing diffs-Screeber
Lubing diffs -lotust
Reset Maint Req. light!-toku58
AT Fluid Change -ForTech
Another AT Fluid Change -mountain lion
V6 Spark Plug Change-Dante's Taco
V6 Engine Coolant Change-Dante's Taco
Batteries: 24F vs 27F - The Facts-Scott Oakley
Water Pump & Thermostat Replacement-05SCtaco
Starter Replacement-ivad32

Misc. Issues:
-Engine Tapping noise

Tech Section at CutomTacos.com

See less See more
#3 ·
A floor waterproof
This tricks is adress to peaple who knows winter and who wants to keep their vehicule for the long time.
First, we have to empty the cab.

expand

expand

expand

and go under the carpet

expand

After that, we have to greace the floor on all the surface with white greace (no smell).

expand

Then put a wrap over the greace.

expand

Put back the cab.

expand

Now you got a floor that won't rusted. If you want to keep your vehicule for a long time and you don't want to look like the flinstones, it's a really good trick.

#4 ·
Tonneau cover use full
For what I'm doing, I need acces fast and complete. Things that I transport doesn't allow me to have a close boxe in glass fibre. So I buy a "flexible tonneau cover".

expand

The bed extender is useful open or close for me. Put to have acces, I always had to "unsnape" and snap again. Very often in winter, is not easy to do.
So i made a system efficient and fast.

expand

expand

expand

expand

I installed a door latch on the back of the racking

expand

expand

I cut the racking and I made a double hinge.

expand

I re-enforce the cloth because I didn't wanted it to break.

expand

To be abble to keep the last rail of support, I separed the top lock in "C" and I screw on the racking.

expand

Now a have a fast acces to the back section and I can also I acces to all the space without losing my back vision.

expand

#5 ·
Disable Daytime Running Lights

I have disabled the DRL's on my '05. I traded it in on an '06 and kept my modified flasher relay so I wouldn't have to redo it. It is not a difficult mod but a bit complicated. You have to remove the signal from the body ECU that decides whether they should be on or not, and then feed a signal to the flasher all the time to keep them off. I did it by removing a pin on the connector in the flasher relay and soldering a jumper down to digital signal in to disable them. It is the correct way to accomplish this without backfeeding the computer or running external wires. You could also just cut the wire and run the jumper outside the relay box if you are not comfortable soldering and desoldering on a circuit board.

I don't have a writeup but I will try to put it together. It is a great mod in my opinion, I hate those dang DRL's. If I want to run lights, I will just turn them on, I don't need the things on all the time.

NOTE: this is for the flasher marked >PPE+PS< below the connector. If you have DRL's in the US, you probably have this flasher.

METHOD 1:

1- remove the guts from the flasher box on the side of the body ECU under the dash, left of the steering column. I never figured out how to get the whole box off but you can snap the guts out from the cover and slide the board out. (it is a bit of a pain because there isn't a lot of room)

2- pull the plastic pin retainer out from the back of the connector and separate the board from the plastic connector.

3- remove (desolder) pin 12 from the circuit board. This is the signal coming in that turns off the lights. This is the pin that the green/red wire connects to.

4- Solder a jumper from pin 1 (12v when ign on) to the spot where pin 12 was. This is the pin that the pink wire connects to.

5- put everything back together and enjoy it.

METHOD 2:

If you wanted to do it externally, cut the green wire with the red trace on the plug to the flasher and connect it to the pink wire. You could use a scotchlock to connect the green/red wire to the pink wire. The pink wire is the 12 volt wire when the ignition is on. Be sure to feed the wire going into the flasher, not the side going to the ECU. I'm not sure if it would hurt anything, but I chose not to backfeed the computer. Put a piece of black tape over the end of the cut green/red wire coming from the body ECU.

Do this at your own risk. I used the factory wiring diagrams to come up with this mod. Check them for yourself to be sure that you know what you are doing or that I haven't made a mistake writing this up. I did this over 18 months ago, I have run it on 2 different trucks with no problems at all. I just rechecked the diagram while writing this so I'm fairly sure it is correct.

#12 ·
I'm shocked... I've been on automotive forums for over 10 yrs (just bought my 07 tacoma earlier today), and this is by far the best organized forum I've ever seen.

I plan on doing a bunch of these mods myself, and will probably post up with my success, or failures.

Huge props to those who post regularly and keep the enthusiasm to help others year after year. Cheers!

#14 ·
Should we have section for DIY maintenance items, i.e., oil change, diff fluids, transfer case, brake pads, zerk lube, etc? Not necessarily a "mod", but a DIY for others that need it to follow. Not sure if we have all these, and if not, it might encourage others to do the work

Yes - this is indirectly a shameless plug for my diff fluids DIY.....:rolleyes:

#16 ·
Nicely done Toku! Your original post on how to add DRL's is phenominal! The only problem I had was ordering the parts. It seems as if this mad has caught on. According to my local dealer the 2 parts are few and far between and pretty hard to come by. I finally got them after a week. Your post was extremely helpful and informative. It made it easy enough, a monkey could do it without a problem. I did mine in 20 minutes. THANKS!!!

#18 ·
I am new here, just joined the forums...but I have one thing to add to the DIY forums, not a mod, but a comment. I noticed when ready through a lot of the mods, that the pictures seem to be missing. I don't know if attachments get purged every so often from the server, or the pictures just get removed form the threads. I was hoping maybe there was some way to make sure pictures stay in the DIY threads, as it makes researching mods much easier to see with pics. If not, its ok, but I just wanted to add that to the boards here. Thanks!

#21 ·
roboots21 said:
I am new here, just joined the forums...but I have one thing to add to the DIY forums, not a mod, but a comment. I noticed when ready through a lot of the mods, that the pictures seem to be missing. I don't know if attachments get purged every so often from the server, or the pictures just get removed form the threads. I was hoping maybe there was some way to make sure pictures stay in the DIY threads, as it makes researching mods much easier to see with pics. If not, its ok, but I just wanted to add that to the boards here. Thanks!
This is because the people who write the threads are using a hosting site like "PhotoBucket" and they are allowed to only have a certain amount of pictures. So over time they find the need to delete the pictures and it is no longer availible.

I know that isn't a good thing but I don't think it can be helped?
Sorry!!

#22 ·
toku58 said:
This is because the people who write the threads are using a hosting site like "PhotoBucket" and they are allowed to only have a certain amount of pictures. So over time they find the need to delete the pictures and it is no longer availible.

I know that isn't a good thing but I don't think it can be helped?
Sorry!!
I figured it was just something like that, I guess the only thing to do is contact the original thread author, like they say, pictures are worth a thousand words. Other than that, this section is AWESOME. I will be doing many mods on here to my tacoma!

#23 ·
First, I want to say Thank You to all that have posted threads, they have been very helpful and useful for me.
I recently bought an 07 Tacoma access cab and have been very happy with it. I didn't get all the bells and whistles with it, but with the help of this site, I have been adding accessories and mods to it.
One thing I would like to add is oem intermittent wipers. Hopefuly it is as easy as adding the oem cruise control. Has anyone done this or is it even available? Your help would be much appreciated.

#25 ·
mhadden said:
It's available and it sounds easy. Just order up the parts!
I'm going to add the cruise control and since I'll have the sterring wheel apart, I figured I would add the intermittent wipers if possible. Theres a post with part numbers, detailed instructions and pics for the cruise control (thanks again to the person who posted that one), that makes it a no brainer. When it comes to the wipers, I'm lost. Is it as easy as swithing stalks? Any tricks or tips?
Thanks in advance...

#26 ·
roboots21 said:
Post links of the threads that are missing pictures and I'll try to update the pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.