Tires Feedback: Everyone please contribute. - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Hardcore Tech and Competition Strictly HARDCORE tech info and questions and also autocross / racing discussion!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 99 Old 01-06-2003, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
There is no substitute.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1845 Post(s)
Thanked 4,934 Times in 1,293 Posts
Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Tires Feedback: Everyone please contribute.

Just got an idea of doing up a feedback thread on tires.

Please post in this order (you can copy & past below to your post):

Name of car:
Brand of tire/Name of tire:
Size of tire/Speed rating:
Pros/Cons:
Buy again?

If you had more than one set of tires that are different than the one you have now please post opinions on them too.

Please post tire feedback in this format only, if you have a question for the user please bring it up in general discussion in a separate thread. Thanks.

18/6/08 - Sayonara Kamuri!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 99 Old 01-06-2003, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
There is no substitute.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1845 Post(s)
Thanked 4,934 Times in 1,293 Posts
Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Name of car: 1996 Camry

Brand of tire/Name of tire: Pirelli P6000 SportsVeloce All-seasons
Size of tire/Speed rating: 205/65/15 H-rated
Pros/Cons: OK in dry, terrible in wet (common Pirelli characteristic), extremely terrible in snow. Wears out quick. Expensive. Sqeak all the time when you corner a bit too fast.
Buy again? Never.

Brand of tire/Name of tire: Bridgestone Potenza RE950 All-seasons
Size of tire/Speed rating: 215/45/17 H-rated
Pros/Cons: Best tire I've ever driven in wet. Never drove in snow and I don't think I want to try. Tall trend. Very decent in dry (tracked the car with it). Feels more like summer tire than all-seasons.
Buy again? Likely if I'm looking for all seasons.

Brand of tire/Name of tire: Yokohama AVS ES100 Summer
Size of tire/Speed rating: 225/45/17 W-rated
Pros/Cons: Crazy side-wall (very good steering response), very good dry traction and decent wet traction.
Buy again? Likely because they're the stiffest side-wall tire for that price.

Brand of tire/Name of tire: Toyo Observe G-02 Plus Winter
Size of tire/Speed rating: 205/65/15 T-rated
Pros/Cons: Crazy good in snow. Even when losing traction I feel that I'm in control.
Buy again? 100% yes!

18/6/08 - Sayonara Kamuri!
post #3 of 99 Old 01-06-2003, 12:26 AM
TN Track day addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Name of car: 1986 Corolla GTS 3 door
Brand of tire/Name of tire: Kumho Ecsta Supra 712
Size of tire/Speed rating: 185/55/14 H rated
Pros/Cons: Great value. 440 for a set of 4, out the door, mounted, balanced, yada yada yada. I haven't tried the higher end tires (Azenis, A032R) so i have nothing to compare to. But it's very forgiving, and very gradual if you do lose grip.
Buy again? For sure.

edit: on a side note, the only tires that were w/i 10 bucks of the Kumhos are the Yokohama A520s. 185/60/14 Neil runs those tires. I haven't had a chance to try them myself.

car: 1997 Civic EX
Brand of Tire: Michelin Arctic Alpin
Size: 185/60/14
Pros: great in the winter, snow, wet or dry. cons. not much except it REALLY plummets the fuel consumption like a mofo.
Buy Again? maybe.

My blog
Fast and cheap won't be reliable.
Cheap and reliable won't be fast.
And fast and reliable won't be cheap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 99 Old 01-06-2003, 12:51 AM
Official TN Member

Name of car: 1999 Corolla
Brand/Name of tire : Yokohama A520
Size of tire/speed rating : 195/50R15 V rated
Pros/Cons : Excellent traction on dry, not bad on wet, very hard side wall ; the only thing i don't like is the noise. i though i was in an aeroplane when i cruse on 401.
Buy again? 50/50.. will buy the new Yoko AVS ES100

Name of car: 1994 Camry LE
Brand/Name of tire : Toyo Proxes T1 (discontinued ,NOT T1-S)
Size of tire/speed rating : 215/55/R16 Z rated
Pros/Cons : good traction on dry, not good on wet, and it's quiet compare to other low-pro tires
Buy again? arr.. discontinued...

Name of car : 94Camry
Brand/Name of tire : Michellin Artic Alpin
size of tire/speed rating : 195/70/R14 Q rated
Pros/Cons : very good traction on dry (compare to other winter tires), good on wet and excellent on snow! ; what i don't like is the noise on the tires on wet road.
Buy again? YEA why not..

99 Corolla

i love Shannonville!
post #5 of 99 Old 01-06-2003, 01:11 AM
Boro Box Pilot

Re: Tires Feedback: Everyone please contribute.

Name of car: Honda Civic
Brand of tire/Name of tire: Yokohama Avid T4
Size of tire/Speed rating: 185/60R14 T rated
Pros/Cons:sucks in the rain...sucks mad in the rain. sucks mad in the snow. now that i've done away with the cons...now for the pros.
on the track these performed wayyy above expectation. let's remember that these are no performance tires and that they are 4 seasons!!! i expected them to heat up quickly and lose grip really badly on the track...but as a matter of fact they didnt! i had 28psi in front and 32 psi in rear and drove that way...tires heated up to operating temp and performed the same way for the whole day. very very good. i've tried other 4 seasons on the track and they overheat within 2 laps of my driving....(u can tell when u have to steer more and the car doesnt go in the direction u want it to). i go back into pits and check temp on these other tires....they sky rocketed from 28psi cold to over 40psi after a mere 3 or so laps. the yokohama avid t4s didnt do that... even jeff's car's tires overheated on the track(the ones on his 18s)...they are perelli something..summer tires. mind u his car is MUCh heavier than mine...but still...summer tires overheated a noticable amount and my 4 seasons didnt. good stuff

Buy again? buy again....wellllll no. i dont want 4 seasons ever again. they are trash in every condition except the dry.

Brand of tire/Name of tire: BFG R-1
Size of tire/Speed rating: 205/50R15 z rated
pro/cons: STICKY STICKY STICKY! let's have a competition here...on the 404 onramp going south from hw7...what speeds can u guys reach on that turn? well with these tires my car hit 120 and could still accelerate without even nearing the limits of the tires...but if only my suspension allowed it. understeer rears it's ugly head on stock suspension u know... cons...well 50 tread wear rating isnt good now is it? and these are semi slick tires...half is slick and the other half is tread. BAD BAD in rain. trust me. *ROLL*
buy again? no...next time i get yoko A032Rs...IT'S RAIN TIRE PPL!

Brand of tire/Name of tire: Bridgestone RE92
Size of tire/Speed rating: 195/55R15 V rated
pro/cons: good 4 season tire. in the dry when turning hard...they dont seem to squeel. they grip very good for a 4 season tire...nothing like 712s or soemthing but none the less very good. this is practically the stickiest 4 season tire that i have ever used... now the cons...160 tread wear is BAD for a 4 season.. bad bad
buy again? no...4 seasons suck

Brand of tire/Name of tire: michellin xgt v4
Size of tire/Speed rating: 195/55R15 V
pro/cons: pros of this tire is probably the fact that it is manufactured by a well known and respected tire company. the cons is well...everything. this is a trash tire. do not come near it. in the dry it feels like it is on marbles...in the wet it's the same...in the snow...dont even go there. on ice it's like ur riding on rims.
buy it again? who said i bought it...it comes factory man

Brand of tire/Name of tire: bridgestone S02
Size of tire/Speed rating: 225/45R17 Z rated
pro/cons: well...thsi tire is expensive! it is mad $$$$$$$$$$$$$ so that is a con. that's the only con i can think of. pros...this tire grips WELL. summer tire it is...competition tire it is not...but none the less it offers grip that is not too far off from a competition tire. in the dry it is not THAT outstanding as it may sound but what is impressive is when these tires see rain! because in the rain...u can drive like as if there is no rain! these tires are outstandinggggggggggggggg wet tires.
buy it again? uhhh i didnt buy it...wont buy it...for that $ i want a032r

Brand of tire/Name of tire: Kumho 712
Size of tire/Speed rating: 195/50R15 V
pro/cons: the tread wear on this tire is sky highhhh. it's something like 320 or something...and this is a SUMMER TIRE...so ver impressive. they last u a long time and cost very little. if i were going to get summer tires i'd for sure get these. the grip offered from these tires is very very great. for such a cheap tire, u dont expect too much...but i gotta say, for the $...i dont think u can beat the performance of these tires.
buy it again? i didnt buy it but i would!

Brand of tire/Name of tire: Perelli P zero
Size of tire/Speed rating: 225/50R17 Z
pro/ cons: i really had high expectations for this tire...and i mean HIGHHHHH. i figured that this tire was first featured on the F40...therefore it must be mad good... it's a super car tire...but naw...it didnt really seem to meet those expectations. dont get me wrong...they're really good... but i think bridgestone S02s were more impressive...or it could have just been the car i was driving that affected my opinions... but i think for the $ u can for sure get a better tire. road noise was not bad with this tire(altho suck a thing should not be a concern when ur car is worthy of wearing these as shoes!). i never tried it in the wet...but on the dry it stuck to the road pretty good...i didnt make any noise...the rubber just seemed to rub off onto the ground rather than squeel like a mouse while cornering.

Brand of tire/Name of tire: Bridgestone Turanza
Size of tire/Speed rating: 205/60R16 H
pro/cons: pro is mayyyybe that this tire is good in winter...for a 4 season this sure impressed me with it's grip in the winter time! even with the past major snow fall and all the car still stuck to the road and goes like a tank. now in the dry...they arent as good. it's a 60 profile 4 season so u cant expect much...they suck. bad grip...lots of squeels...all they do is spin in the dry. but winter performance sure impressed me. rain...never tried.

Brand of tire/Name of tire: Hoosier mystery tire
Size of tire/Speed rating:185/60R14 T rated
pro/cons: ummmm this tire has LOTS of tread depth! so much that i thought it was a winter tire! turns out that it is a 4 season tire...now let's talk about performance...there is none. bad in the dry, snow and wet. always slips...i even managed to lock up brakes in the wet when not braking hard...the only thing good about these is that it has tread depth...which means they can last u a long time if u dare continue using them. i bet these rubberes are cheap tho. probably 30 a peice brand new. so for the $...the make good donuts for ur car to roll on.
buy again? came with car...wont ever buy them...dont know where to find them.

Brand of tire/Name of tire: Michellin XGT H4
Size of tire/Speed rating: 205/60R16 H
pro/cons: now what did i say about the V4? if the V4 was bad...H4 u cant even bother to talk about right? right. they suck. suck bad. with around 400 tread wear rating. that's probably the only pro. the rest is con.

***ADDITIONS THAT I FORGOT***
Brand of tire/Name of tire: Yokohama A032R
Size of tire/Speed rating: 185/60R14 H
pro/ cons: competition tire...so u expect much from it.... so let's jump right in. tread wear is 60. that's not bad for a competition tire-so there is one pro. the other pro is that it is an AMAZING tire in the wet. at the track even in the rain...when the car was pitted and the tires were observed...the tires were DRY... water does not stay on these tires. it's something about the compound. water goes around it..not on it, not all over it. so u can imagine how it is in the wet. totally oustanding. but in the dry they arent too good. the limits arent as high as BFG R1s in the dry...the start squeeling early...and squeeling usually means ur approaching the limits of the tires...and i dare not break the limits of an R compound.

The boro guru
geocities.com/nuahs_cx my site about ae92, ef and track info

boro song
"boro boro boro
here we have a duct tape la la la
here we have an electrical tape du du du
here we have a coke can da da da
and then we have a downpipe!! boro boro boro"
post #6 of 99 Old 01-06-2003, 01:46 AM
Resident asshole

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Name of car: Toyota Corolla AE92 Sedan
Brand of tire/Name of tire: Dunlop LM 701 (Le Mans)
Size of tire/Speed rating: 195/55R15 H
Pros/Cons: Good handling, good grip in dry and rain. Cons, makes a weird sound when slowing down and tends to torque steer a bit.
Buy again? Definately

Brand of tire/Name of tire: Goodyear GPS2
Size of tire/Speed rating: 175/65R13 T
Pros/Cons: Pretty decent when I got them. Car handles ok at the limit with them. However, when wearing out they become ULTRA slippery and have practically no grip on dry or wet. Tires were bad quality and the car wouldnt go straight even though the alignment was checked out.
Buy again? Never

Brand of tire/Name of tire: Goodyear GT70
Size of tire/Speed rating: 175/65R13 T
Pros/Cons: Steelbelted radial, lasted better than the GPS2's and had better grip. Still had the same characteristic when they worse out, they became hard.
Buy again?Not unless I have finance problems.

Name of car: Mercedes Benz C180 W202
Brand of tire/Name of tire: Bridgestone Turanza S&S
Size of tire/Speed rating: 195/65R15 H
Pros/Cons: Quiet as heck, no noise coming to the interior, on smooth roads "sounds" heavenly. Good dry grip, But on wet gives you a sense of slippery. Wears out fast aswell.
Buy again? Considering

Brand of tire/Name of tire: Nokia NRW M+S winter tread
Size of tire/Speed rating: 185/65R15 H
Pros/Cons: Good grip on snow and ice, also pretty good during summers, atleast it passed the 190kph speed test . Although usage during summer will wear it out and rough usage will cause it to be useless next winter
Buy again? Definately, hard to beat it.

Brand of tire/Name of tire: Nokia Q M+S winter tread
Size of tire/Speed rating: 185/65R15 Q
Pros/Cons: Good winter grip, the sipe structure is well designed. Although keep in mind the soft sidewalls make it squirmy to ride on dry asphalt and overtaking can feel bit uneasy. Gives a safe overall feeling. Can be used during summer, but expect them to wear out ultrafast due to the extremely soft compound.
Buy again? A good chance, but NRW takes the bet on this one

Name of car: Audi 80 Typ 81
Brand of tire/Name of tire: Nokia Hakkapelitta 1 Studded winter tread
Size of tire/Speed rating: 155/80R13 Q
Pros/Cons: Awesome grip on ice due to the huge studs in the tires. On dry asphalt dont expect to hear anything from the radio as the jarring sound of the studs penetrate through to the inside. However all things considered, this minor inconvenience is easy to put aside for safety. Albeit, my preferance is studless tires.
Buy again? Probably not

Name of car: Audi 80 Typ 81
Brand of tire/Name of tire: Semperit
Size of tire/Speed rating: 165/70R13 T
Pros/Cons: This has gotta be the most hilarious tire ever, know how the hollywood cars always screetch in corners, well these tires do exactly that. Grip is pretty decent for tires this price.
Buy again? Heck no
post #7 of 99 Old 01-06-2003, 12:37 PM
Banned

Name of car: 94 corolla sedan
Brand of tire/Name of tire: wallmart magma snowtire
Size of tire/Speed rating: 175/65/14...i don't even think snow tires are rated :P
Pros/Cons: its cheap/for $50 per tire, there's none to this date
Buy again? yes...i have to.

Name of car: 94 corolla sedan
Brand of tire/Name of tire: motomasters
Size of tire/Speed rating: 175/65/14 candian speed rated
Pros/Cons: they come with a cool white and red motomaster tire bag/they come from canadian tire
Buy again? its not a matter if i would buy again, its a matter of "i have no money so i'm forced to buy again"

nick
post #8 of 99 Old 01-06-2003, 01:40 PM
My Dixie Wrecked

Name of car: Toyota Paseo
Brand of tire/Name of tire: Silverstone FTZ
Size of tire/Speed rating: 195/50R15 V-Rated
Pros: Dry grip is average for a sport tire. Wet grip is outstanding for any tire. Extremely stylish tread pattern. Price is unbeatable at only $109Cdn each. With the 'V' speed rating is doesn't wear out as fast as a 'Z' rated tire would. Rim protector is great if you tend to drive just a little too close to the curbs.
Cons: They have to be shipped. Currently, the only retailer is in Vancouver.
Buy again? Yes, although I might go for the wider tread (ie 205, 215).

Racing is everything

post #9 of 99 Old 01-06-2003, 02:21 PM
1nzfe addict

name of car : corolla 1989SR5
brand of tire/name: nokian hakapellita 1

size of tire /speed rating: 175/70/13 Q
pros /cons : $$$ but awsome grip in snow and ice noise annoying but they last for ever !
buy again : for sure those are the best winter tires i have driven...

same car
tire brand/name: predator gts (motomaster)

size of tire/speed rating: 185/60/14 speed ?
pros /cons: cheap last fairly long good dry grip, awful in rain realy bad over pudles(aquaplaning) good for drifting

name car: corolla gts 3 doors 1986 rwd
name /brand of tire: toyo observe GO2

size/speed rating: 185/70/13 Q
pros /cons: good tire in snow but terrible on ice and not well suited for rwd IMO.... but good tires at a fair price....but it does not compare with the nokians....

Toymaniac ADM. ClubEchoQuebec.com
post #10 of 99 Old 01-06-2003, 02:27 PM
Former Holding Monster

Name of car: 2000 Toyota Camry LE v6
Brand of tire/Name of tire: Kumho Ecsta 712
Size of tire/Speed rating: 225/40-18 WR rated
Pros/Cons: Pro: Affordable price (est. $115US), great handling and grip, and good wet traction./Con: Can't think of any at this time.
Buy again? I would recommend this brand, but for me I will soon be replacing them with Yokohama AVS Sports for personal preference.

Brent's Email
Homepage
Southern California
- Current: 2003 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro | 19x8.5 Work VS-XX | Toyo T1R's
- Past: 2000 Toyota Camry LE V6
post #11 of 99 Old 01-06-2003, 04:18 PM
Guitars and Cars

Supreme Member
Name of car: 2001 Corolla
Brand of tire/Name of tire: Firestone / FR680
Size of tire/Speed rating: 185/65/14 / about 115mph I think it's "S"
Pros/Cons: No real Pro's, they're not even that cheap.
Dry Traction - Sucks, I can easily spin the tires at any point in first gear, even after gaining momentum, and it's not because of my awsome power :roll: They also chirp and squeak and complain when subject to any type of quick cornering.
Wet traction - forget about pulling out quick in heavy traffic or from a hill stop. Quick steering inputs in wet can lead to spin-outs, wet traction is basically non-existant.
Snow - never tried but you can guess what would happen
Oh yeah, and they track horribly at highway speeds, very floaty.

Buy again?
No way Jose!

Chris

2001 Corolla S 5-Speed - it won't Die!
post #12 of 99 Old 01-06-2003, 04:35 PM
Official TN Member

Name of car: 1987/91 Toyota Supra Turbo
Brand of tire/Name of tire: Goodyear Eagle [OEM]
Size of tire/Speed rating: 225/50-16 Z rated
Pros/Cons: Expensive new in 1990-approx.300ea great in dry, ok in wet, ok in snow. good tread life. quiet smooth ride.
Buy again? yes, i did.

Brand of tire/Name of tire: BFG Compt T/A
Size of tire/Speed rating: 225/50-16 Z rated
Pros/Cons: Best price still being name brand tire when i bought-approx.200ea ok in dry, great in wet, great in snow. ok tread life. ok noise and smooth ride.
Buy again? yes, i did.

Brand of tire/Name of tire: Firestone Firehawk SZ50
Size of tire/Speed rating: 235/45-17 / 275/40/17 Z rated
Pros/Cons: 1100 for 4 tires installed in 1997 excellent in dry, excellent in wet, sucked a$$ in snow. great tread life. quiet but stiff ride.
Buy again? yes, i would.

Those are the 3 tires i especially liked on my supra. i have had others tires which i would not reccomend, and don't even want to remember them. one was a hoosier, another a kuhmo, and a set of dunlops as well. all were 225/50/16's. None had great traction, wet, dry, or snow. all seem to wear out quicker than other tires. i don't remember actual names of tires, so cannot post accurate reviews.

Ben
CdnSupra from Hamilton
91T, stage 3+[87T has been retired]
post #13 of 99 Old 01-06-2003, 05:22 PM
The Return of the Red Coupe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Car: 1989 Toyota Corolla GTS AE92
Brand of Tire: Super G/T Sport Radial (made by Good Year for walmart)
Size/Rating: 185/60-HR14 directional thread.
Pros: Great Price, great dry handling, great wet handling.
Cons: Not so great in snow (then again HR's aren't good for snow), the ride is ok but they seem bumpy at highway speed.
Buy again: for the price yeah but they're being discontinued, but I would rather go for the Dunlop SP Sport A2's next time.

PREVIOUS TIRES:

Car: 1987 Civic DX Hatch
Brand of Tire: Motomaster Icetrac Winter Tires(Made by Bridgestone I believe)
Size/Rating: 175/70-SR14
Pros: Awesome Snow handling and traction, awesome ice handling, great price.
Cons: Never really found one
Buy again: yes I would, too bad they're being discontinued.

Brand of Tire: Bridgestone Blizzak WS10
Size/Rating: 175/70-SR14
Pros: Great Handling in snow, Decent on ice.
Cons: Not as good as the Icetracs and noisier.
Buy again: No, too pricey and there's cheaper and better performing snow tires out there.

Brand of Tire: Dunlop D60A2
Size/Rating: 185/60-HR14
Pros: Awesome Handling on dry roads and decent on wet roads.
Cons: you can find similar performing tires for cheaper.
Buy again: No, Dunlop SP Sport A2's are a better choice.

2005 Corolla XRS - my beater
2008 RAV4 - her beater
2016 Scion tC - Our beater lol

post #14 of 99 Old 01-08-2003, 09:58 PM
Official TN Member

Re: Tires Feedback: Everyone please contribute.

Name of car: 2001 Honda Civic DX-G 4dr
Brand of tire/Name of tire: Firestone FR690
Size of tire/Speed rating: 185/70/14
Pros/Cons: Tread worn out at 40,000 km....COMPLETELY....need I say more?
Buy again? I didn't buy them the first time, they were OEM, but HELL FRIGGIN NO!!

Name of Car: 2001 Honda Civic DX-G 4dr
Brand of Tire/name of tire: Michelin Harmony
Size of Tire/Speed rating: 185/70/14
Pros: Have only had them for 5,000km so far, but traction is decent in all conditions. Surprisingly good traction in packed snow., prolly thanks to really deep wide treads.
Cons: only rated for 160km/h. very wimpy sidewalls, can feel them compressing when braking moderately hard from 140km/h to offramps, car loses stability.
Buy Again? no
post #15 of 99 Old 01-09-2003, 03:33 PM
TN Post Wh*re

Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
name of car: 91 MR2 turbo
brand/name: Toyo T1-S
size/rating:205/40/16 fronts...225/45/16 rears...Z rated...
pros:great in dry....awesome in wet...tire wear is good (lasted three summers-will prolly have to change rears this summer but could last another one)....thread pattern is nice...
cons: expensive.....loud tires (hwy driving)...
buy again: these are prolly the only tires i'd ever have on my car and any future cars...best tires on the market IMO...from my personal experience...in dry conditions...only r compounds out perform these ones..

91 mr2..07 335i..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Nation Forums > Hardcore Tech and Competition