High Intake Temps - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Hardcore Tech and Competition Strictly HARDCORE tech info and questions and also autocross / racing discussion!

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 08-24-2016, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
High Intake Temps

Anyone have advice for fighting high intake temperatures, or engine bay temps in general? I bought one of those bluetooth obd2 scanners that lets you see you metrics on your phone. After about a mild drive to make sure the unit worked, my intake temps were at about 160 degrees at idle. They dropped tot 130ish after 5 minutes of driving. then the low 100s a few minutes after that. The coolant and trans temps were just north of 200 degrees, so the whole engine bay was hot. This was on a 60 degree night, so those 90 degree days at the track must have been hell under the hood.

Right now I have the K&N short ram intake with the cold air shield.
http://www.knfilters.com/air_intake/...FQupaQodNe0FTw

I'm know this is a nonissue for daily driving. But such high temps cant be good for my 60ft times. Which are in the 2.1-2.2 range at the beginning of track day, and 2.3-2.4 towards the end. Now I'm starting to see why. Of course, any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2009 Toyota Avalon XL
FM Headers
DC Sports CAI
Maxbore TB
Borla Mufflers
2.25 in True Dual exhaust w/x-pipe
Enkei J10 Wheels 18x7.5

Last edited by Moondoggy-X; 08-24-2016 at 06:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 08-27-2016, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech White Ops

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Garage
Well, You have a "Hot Air Intake" for starters.

When I built my street engine, I used a cold air intake. To prevent heat soak I did the following:

Unhook the coolant line to the Throttle body. (if you live in cold, snowy climate, dont do this, Florida is OK)

Thermal TB and Intake manifold gaskets (possibly for the scion Tc, need to investigate this further)

Some cheap windshield sunshade (10.00)

Cut the sunshade in a strip. Wrap the intake and use real duct tape (metallized) to seal up and keep in place.

I also used DEI titanium wrap for the exhaust.

When I did this, My intake temps were just 3-4* over ambient.

I have a pic on my computer, but can attach images, only in threads deemed worthy of attachments.

[SIZE="3"]2013 2.5 SE

Camry was rear ended (with structural damage) by a teenage girl, Got a Q60 3.0TT now

Last edited by Esoteric Image; 08-27-2016 at 09:46 AM.
post #3 of 26 Old 08-27-2016, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech White Ops

Garage
Im still doing research on thermal gaskets for the 2AR-FE which is a scion Tc crossover engine.

Now, If you want to sell off the K&N you have and see if you have a route for a true CAI, theres many parts available to make your own custom kit.
The only issue you should have is the IAT sensor *if its in the intake tube or on manifold. MAF sensor which with a little time, thought and elbow grease, can be done.

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/
http://www.frozenboost.com/

[SIZE="3"]2013 2.5 SE

Camry was rear ended (with structural damage) by a teenage girl, Got a Q60 3.0TT now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 08-27-2016, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
I originally went with short ram intake + heat shield over the cold air because I live in northern Illinois where rain/snow is a weekly occurrence. Way back in tuner grade school, we all heard the cautionary tales about potential hydrolocking and cold air intakes. And to be completely honest, I put WAY too much faith in the ability of an under-the-hood heat shield to block out hot air. Lesson learned, so I just ordered this...

http://www.dcsports.com/ColdAir/CAI4409_Toyota.html

But for the life of me, I can't figure out, or find online, where the filter is gonna sit. So I wont know if it is out of harms way of water until it gets here. Also, I think I will add a switch to the radiator fans so I can switch them on at will. And I'm trying to find a way to vent the hood having to worry about rain/snow.

2009 Toyota Avalon XL
FM Headers
DC Sports CAI
Maxbore TB
Borla Mufflers
Enkei J10 Wheels 18x7.5
post #5 of 26 Old 08-28-2016, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech White Ops

Garage
That looks badass...

But get a sun shade, cut a strip about 3-4" wide and the length of the shade.

Wrap the whole thing and tape it off.

As funky as it sounds, it does work with heatsoak from the engine bay. Now the heated TB will aslo play a factor when at red lights, but for highway driving, the incoming air in the tube should cool it down.

Your app should give you IAT before and after if you like to experiment.

Everyone was brainwashed on the whole hydrolocked thing.

But realize, this was made for track/off-road where there are no puddles.

My CAI was behind the bumper and I had no fender liners. It would get wet, but big deal.. A little water in the combustion chamber isnt a bad thing.
If theres some huge puddle where the filter is submerged, then yea, your going to fuk things up. Im sure one would know where the flood prone areas are around your town.

Im sure the filter is located behind the bumper somewhere.
Also curious how this will perform. Sub'd for future posts! Good Luck.

[SIZE="3"]2013 2.5 SE

post #6 of 26 Old 08-28-2016, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech White Ops

Garage
Im wondering IF the 2.4 camry one will fit the 2.5L camry..

Moondoggy-X likes this.

[SIZE="3"]2013 2.5 SE

post #7 of 26 Old 08-28-2016, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric Image View Post
Im wondering IF the 2.4 camry one will fit the 2.5L camry..

It's very likely that it'd fit! I am throwing Camry parts on an Avalon, afterall.

I ripped out the rest of my intake while wiring my fan switch today. I think I see where the cai is intended to go. The filter should sit right behind the driver side fog light.

2009 Toyota Avalon XL
FM Headers
DC Sports CAI
Maxbore TB
Borla Mufflers
Enkei J10 Wheels 18x7.5
post #8 of 26 Old 06-09-2017, 10:32 PM
Slow 2010 RAV4 Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondoggy-X View Post
It's very likely that it'd fit! I am throwing Camry parts on an Avalon, afterall.

I ripped out the rest of my intake while wiring my fan switch today. I think I see where the cai is intended to go. The filter should sit right behind the driver side fog light.
Did this work out for you? I now routing the filter either really low down in the car OR bringing in cool air directly to an 'enclosed' filter both had inlet temperatures either at or within 5 degrees of ambient air temperature.

2010 Toyota RAV4 Sprt
N/A --> [email protected]
Supercharged -->[email protected]
post #9 of 26 Old 06-12-2017, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx View Post
Did this work out for you? I now routing the filter either really low down in the car OR bringing in cool air directly to an 'enclosed' filter both had inlet temperatures either at or within 5 degrees of ambient air temperature.
This worked out great! Especially after wrapping the intake in the sunshade material. While driving, my intake temps are 7-10 above outside in the city, 3-5 above in the highway. At the track, the intake is usually 5-10 degree above ambient when I'm at the line, and drops to 0-1 degree above while running. Heatsoak is a nonissue now. I let the car cool down when I first get to the track, after that I can run until the cows come home. With consistent times, too. Coolant, trans, and intake temps stay down as long as I'm running. After 4 runs in a row, however, brake fade starts to set in. If I find myself stick in a line to run, the fan switch does come in handy. The trans and engine temps go way down, but if I run it too long, the intake temps go up since the CAI runs right behind the cooling fans. I dropped .2 secs in the 1/4 mile when I switched from the short ram to the cold air intake.
Myxalplyx likes this.

2009 Toyota Avalon XL
FM Headers
DC Sports CAI
Maxbore TB
Borla Mufflers
Enkei J10 Wheels 18x7.5
post #10 of 26 Old 06-21-2017, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech White Ops

Garage
Quote:
This worked out great! Especially after wrapping the intake in the sunshade material. While driving, my intake temps are 7-10 above outside in the city, 3-5 above in the highway. At the track, the intake is usually 5-10 degree above ambient when I'm at the line, and drops to 0-1 degree above while running. Heatsoak is a nonissue now. I let the car cool down when I first get to the track, after that I can run until the cows come home. With consistent times, too. Coolant, trans, and intake temps stay down as long as I'm running. After 4 runs in a row, however, brake fade starts to set in. If I find myself stick in a line to run, the fan switch does come in handy. The trans and engine temps go way down, but if I run it too long, the intake temps go up since the CAI runs right behind the cooling fans. I dropped .2 secs in the 1/4 mile when I switched from the short ram to the cold air intake.
Is this with the coolant line attached to the TB?

IDK where the IAT sensor is, but to get accurate temps, it should be on one of the intake runners.. But some makers put it before the TB..

But glad the sunshade mod is working for you. Its quite ugly, but works great! Alot cheaper than that gold "heat rejection" tape being sold.

Funny thing is, I posted this sunshade info on H-T and a few months later, I see a sanctioned race team thread with pics of their race car with my sunshade mod..

[SIZE="3"]2013 2.5 SE

post #11 of 26 Old 06-21-2017, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Is this with the coolant line attached to the TB?

IDK where the IAT sensor is, but to get accurate temps, it should be on one of the intake runners.. But some makers put it before the TB..

But glad the sunshade mod is working for you. Its quite ugly, but works great! Alot cheaper than that gold "heat rejection" tape being sold.

Funny thing is, I posted this sunshade info on H-T and a few months later, I see a sanctioned race team thread with pics of their race car with my sunshade mod..
This is after the coolant bypass. Which I kept all winter without incident. Did get a little less gas mileage, though. The IAT sensor is attached to the maf sensor a bit before the throttle body.

The heat tape didn't work too well for my application. With the intake pipe running right behind the radiator and practically touching a radiator hose, i needed something more along the lines of an insulant.

2009 Toyota Avalon XL
FM Headers
DC Sports CAI
Maxbore TB
Borla Mufflers
Enkei J10 Wheels 18x7.5
post #12 of 26 Old 06-21-2017, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech White Ops

Garage
Ahhh.. so that explains why so much higher over ambient.. Gotcha..

Well glad it werked for ya

[SIZE="3"]2013 2.5 SE

post #13 of 26 Old 06-29-2017, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Ahhh.. so that explains why so much higher over ambient.. Gotcha..

Well glad it werked for ya
I'm thinking about getting a compact lightweight battery so I can reroute my intake away from the engine, radiator and hose. How reliable are they? I know it'd be bad to leave the lights on when the car's not running, etc. But, would I be able to use stereo, heating and ac, fog lights and all that while car is running still? Do they still work in the winter ok? I'm thinking something along the lines of this...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000XEF3DM..._t3_B0002ILK6I

Here'h the intake runs now

https://scontent.ford1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...aa&oe=5A0BC8E7

https://scontent.ford1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...18&oe=59DFC6CF

https://scontent.ford1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...be&oe=59CB6381

2009 Toyota Avalon XL
FM Headers
DC Sports CAI
Maxbore TB
Borla Mufflers
Enkei J10 Wheels 18x7.5
post #14 of 26 Old 06-30-2017, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech White Ops

Garage
I can only point out that if you live in snowy conditions, then the odyssey battery isnt for you.

Also, If you have any parasitic draw going on from an alarm,etc. thenthis battery isnt for you.

I have used a different varient of this battery, but the internals are the same. Dry cell, lightweight, sealed..

Racers have used this battery for reasons above but with my alarm, I found it drained it in a few days to where i couldnt start my car.
Just starting the car and letting it idle doesnt charge the battery, you will need to drive it and get the RPMs past 3-4k for the alt to charge..
But this was my application.. possibly since newer cars are computerized, it may use the regulator to charge it at idle.. I dont know the modern charging systems and its capabilities.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ds=680+battery

I used the Kinekik version as it was better CCA than the odyssey specs but half the price.

[SIZE="3"]2013 2.5 SE

Last edited by Esoteric Image; 06-30-2017 at 08:09 AM.
post #15 of 26 Old 06-30-2017, 02:29 PM
Slow 2010 RAV4 Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm thinking about getting a compact lightweight battery so I can reroute my intake away from the engine, radiator and hose. How reliable are they? I know it'd be bad to leave the lights on when the car's not running, etc. But, would I be able to use stereo, heating and ac, fog lights and all that while car is running still? Do they still work in the winter ok? I'm thinking something along the lines of this...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000XEF3DM..._t3_B0002ILK6I

Here'h the intake runs now

https://scontent.ford1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...aa&oe=5A0BC8E7

https://scontent.ford1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...18&oe=59DFC6CF

https://scontent.ford1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...be&oe=59CB6381
I have ran with that Odyssey battery in my RAV4 for one winter. It was a little harder to start up than my stock battery but did ok. The 2nd winter, not so much. Using stock battery now. In my Honda Fit, I am running an Evolution Ballistic battery. Weighs 2lbs. For a higher amp one, I can get one with a weight between 3-5lbs. I'd recommend those over the Odyssey battery. Had no problem with my Evolution battery. And it's LIGHT!

As for your intake.....oh man. There's some potential there. Gawd! Right after that first 90 bend coming away from the throttle body. If it wasn't for that friggin' battery, you could put a nice big sized pipe there. I'm talking about a 45 degree bend going towards the battery then a 90 degree bend down towards the bottom of your car. We talked about this before. Wish we were closer. Some experimentation in trap speed with the different size pipe would probably have you smiling. As it is, your pipe is great for low end torque though. Then again, FWD may = Tire spin.

2010 Toyota RAV4 Sprt
N/A --> [email protected]
Supercharged -->[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Nation Forums > Hardcore Tech and Competition