2GR-FE Camry - Page 2 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Hardcore Tech and Competition Strictly HARDCORE tech info and questions and also autocross / racing discussion!

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 39 Old 02-11-2018, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by avalon2016 View Post
Cool thread. I've read the Y-down pipe adds about 15 hp and that is one of the biggest bottlenecks on the 2GR-FE from stock. I also read some people using the Lotus ECU. Do you have the ability to over-ride the stock shift points?

Can you post a video of how it sounds?

I'd like to hear about the wider tires, I have the stock 215 on my avalon and I think it limits the power and braking, I think 225s or maybe a bit wider would definitely improve the performance.

I'm sure the Y-pipe adds hp because after I gutted the cat in the stock Y-pipe I finally ran a mid 14 second 1/4 mile; I was stuck at 15 seconds before that. I want to find a way to raise the stock shift points as my Camry usually shifts at 6000 rpm and almost never reaches 6200 rpm.

The 225 55 16 BF Sport Comp 2s brought my 60ft times to 2.20 and a 9.2 second 1/8 mile. I'm guessing I should be able to run a very low 14 second 1/4 at Fontana with the BFs.

Here is a video at Irwindale racetrack. Poor quality video but it gives you an idea of the sound without the 3rd cat and custom exhaust.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 39 Old 02-17-2018, 12:01 AM
Wallet abuser

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Cool thread. I've read the Y-down pipe adds about 15 hp and that is one of the biggest bottlenecks on the 2GR-FE from stock. I also read some people using the Lotus ECU. Do you have the ability to over-ride the stock shift points?

Can you post a video of how it sounds?

I'd like to hear about the wider tires, I have the stock 215 on my avalon and I think it limits the power and braking, I think 225s or maybe a bit wider would definitely improve the performance.
going wider will definitely help. but Going with a stickier tire will help more.. Get some nice sticky tires and traction becomes way less of an issue (but the tires don't last long at all)
post #18 of 39 Old 02-19-2018, 06:48 AM
Not-So-New TN User

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Hey Beast, If you want to get lower times without spending any more money, you gotta lose weight. remove the rear seats when you go to the track and never have your fuel tank full (at most a half tank). Also, it's better to go single 2.5" exhaust (again to save weight) than to go double 2" if you're not going true dual with an X-pipe. Then again, it doesn't really matter if you don't go custom J-pipe (the pipe that joins the two headers. That's where you'll see the most gains. Pic attached as an example.

These guys are good.

Also go for low weight rims. 17"s with track tires.

Good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20131213_124015_zps33f3675b.jpg (469.6 KB, 11 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 39 Old 02-19-2018, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netforcer View Post
Hey Beast, If you want to get lower times without spending any more money, you gotta lose weight. remove the rear seats when you go to the track and never have your fuel tank full (at most a half tank). Also, it's better to go single 2.5" exhaust (again to save weight) than to go double 2" if you're not going true dual with an X-pipe. Then again, it doesn't really matter if you don't go custom J-pipe (the pipe that joins the two headers. That's where you'll see the most gains. Pic attached as an example.

These guys are good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCio5K0WfHU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PVXvHkr-Vs

Also go for low weight rims. 17"s with track tires.

Good luck!

I've seen Engine Masters episodes as well. I've tried to take out the back seat, but I just can't seem to figure it out even using a pry bar. My best 60 ft time is 2.2 seconds and best 1/8 mile is 9.2 seconds. I'm going to Fontana soon so I expect I'll run a very low 14 with the BFs I have for traction. The BFs provide excellent traction.
post #20 of 39 Old 02-19-2018, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Update on my progress:

I got a used throttle body off Ebay; it came from a 2008 Sienna. I did a slight port to smooth out the raised areas in the throttle body. My SOTP dyno isn't that sensitive and I cannot easily tell if there was any gain in power. The BFs are a huge improvement in traction and they did improve my 60 ft to a best of 2.204 that led to my best 1/8th mile of 9.20 seconds at Irwindale.

I installed a new MAF sensor due to the original MAF sensor giving extremely high temp readings that cut too much power when the ambient temp was in the low 70s. Car is once again running strong without a dramatic loss of power if the forecast calls for anything other than temps in the 50s or 60s.

I'm either going to Fontana Wednesday the 21st at night or Saturday March 3rd to try one more time for a low 14 or very high 13 second 1/4 mile. I've been traction limited up until now. With Ultra High Performance BFS I'm going to try to run consistent 2.2 60 ft times and if possible run a 2.1 or 2.0 60ft.

Last edited by 67beast; 02-19-2018 at 04:47 PM.
post #21 of 39 Old 03-04-2018, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Rained out:

The Test n Tune was cancelled due to rain at Fontana. I really wanted to run my car today, but it started raining Friday. My Camry has been running strong all day too, so I'm disappointed that the weather took a turn for the worst here in So Cal. The next chance I get to run my car is Wednesday March 28 or April 7th which is a Saturday. I'm going to have to wait about a month to see if my Camry will run a low 14 or high 13 second 1/4 mile. I remain hopeful that I've done enough low-budget mods to see the 2GR-FE Camry have a solid showing at Fontana.
post #22 of 39 Old 03-04-2018, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Here are a couple photos of the throttle body that came from a 2008 Sienna. I did a small amount of porting to get rid of the raised area right before the throttle plate. The car feels very strong and pulls throughout the rpm range. April 7th or 8th I'll head to Fontana Autoclub to see what the Camry can run.

To date the fastest run at Fontana was a 14.41 @ 97.39 mph with a 2.33 60 foot time. I'm trying to find every last bit of power that this 2GR-FE V6 can give and that includes doing research on Honda forums. The Honda guys seem willing to port intake manifolds, port throttle bodies, and run without cats. With those mods and no headwork some guys are running mid 13s in their Accords. I'm in California so I can't get rid of my precats, but if I can't help myself I may end up porting the intake somewhere down the line we'll see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Camry V6 24A.jpg (271.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Camry V6 25A.jpg (537.0 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by 67beast; 03-04-2018 at 09:39 PM.
post #23 of 39 Old 03-05-2018, 04:17 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
I've sort of played with the idea of going with a true 2 pipe down from each header and getting rid of the y pipe? or whatever it is from the headers to the exhaust. Seems like there is room?
post #24 of 39 Old 03-05-2018, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
I've sort of played with the idea of going with a true 2 pipe down from each header and getting rid of the y pipe? or whatever it is from the headers to the exhaust. Seems like there is room?
There is room under the car. You just need to find a shop that is willing to do the work. I went to a shop in Compton, but the guy only wanted to do a 2.5" single pipe for $200. A couple days later I found a shop in Long Beach and told the shop owner that I had already been to a shop that would only do a single pipe and that wouldn't cut it for me. I still had to compromise since I asked for 2.25" pipe and the shop owner installed 2 inch pipes. The car runs strong with the custom exhaust and that is the mod that got the Camry into the 14s.
post #25 of 39 Old 03-10-2018, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Lower Intake Manifold:

In pursuit of ever more power and a quicker 1/4 mile time, I got a lower intake manifold off Ebay for $38. The next Test n Tune will be April 7-8 which gives me time to port match to the intake gasket. I have a Black and Decker rotary tool to grind away the excess metal and any rough casting areas and that will be done over the next few weeks. I want to improve air flow as much as possible, so I will slowly work on porting the intake manifold until I feel I've opened the ports as much I safely can.

For anyone reading this, I am doing everything I can to ensure the 2GR-FE V6 Camry puts as much power to the wheels as it can without doing work to the cylinder heads. Intake and exhaust is the way to go.

EDIT:
I traced the pattern of the lower intake gaskets onto the lower intake manifold. There is quite a bit of material that can be removed from the manifold. I've added a few pics to give anyone that wants to do this an idea of how I am doing the porting/gasket matching on the lower intake. The newest date I can take my car to Fontana will be March 28 since I will have days off that week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Camry V6 26.jpg (507.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Camry V6 27.jpg (554.4 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Camry V6 30.jpg (579.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Camry V6 31.jpg (541.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Camry V6 33.jpg (460.3 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by 67beast; 03-18-2018 at 07:49 PM.
post #26 of 39 Old 03-24-2018, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Intake Manifold:

It took about 2 hours to remove the original intake manifold and install the ported intake manifold. The car ran rough at first because I forgot to connect the plug that goes on the upper intake plenum on the passenger's side. Once I connected the plug the car ran smooth. I drove it around my block a few times then I went on the highway. The Camry pulls much harder with the ported intake manifold from about 4k rpm to 6k rpm. I know I gained some whp, and I'm hopeful that the extra power at the wheels will result in a 13 second 1/4 mile this March 28 at Fontana.

I've attached a couple photos of the ports from the heads. The ports have a lot of carbon build up, so I cleaned some of the carbon off the ports. I also kept the old gaskets in case I want to port anymore lower intake manifolds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Camry V6 34A.jpg (459.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Camry V6 34B.jpg (457.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Camry V6 35.jpg (308.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Camry V6 36.jpg (362.7 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by 67beast; 03-24-2018 at 05:14 PM.
post #27 of 39 Old 03-29-2018, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
March Track Day:

I could not match my previous best time. I ran consistent 14.5 seconds in the 1/4 mile for a few runs. Not long after I installed the port matched lower intake manifold my car was throwing codes left and right. The car was throwing codes for the past few days and didn't run strong like it usually does. At the very end of the night I ran a 14.6 followed by a 14.7, so the car was tired at that point.

Today I installed a new O2 sensor since the code that consistently popped up was sensor stuck lean and P2241. Car runs strong again after a few days of throwing codes every so often. I'll have another chance to run a new best time April 7th or 8th; that will be in the morning. Next time.

I was happy with my work on the lower intake manifold. However, the O2 sensor went out at a bad time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Camry V6 38.jpg (377.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Camry V6 37.jpg (197.0 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by 67beast; 03-29-2018 at 06:45 PM.
post #28 of 39 Old 04-07-2018, 12:37 AM
Wallet abuser

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Garage
Looks like some nice work in the past few months.. my avalon decided to throw a stuck lean code on bank one.. TSB states to replace manifold so new style sensor will fit.. i believe i'll be looking into headers now.. lol
post #29 of 39 Old 04-07-2018, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Good luck with fixing the stuck lean code. I'm in California so I can't use headers. Stayed with the stock exhaust manifolds and so far so good. In the morning and at night I can feel that power I was expecting from porting the lower intake manifold. I did not post a step by step procedure, but if anyone has questions I'll answer them
post #30 of 39 Old 04-07-2018, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Track day April 8th so I've taken out the bottom section of the back seat. I didn't figure out how to remove the upper section of the backseat so it will stay in. The Camry feels strong today. I'm hoping that translates to a new best at the track. I'll run once or twice at Fontana and then drive back home. Plus I changed the oil last week, just took some air out of my front tires, and cleaned the throttle body.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Camry V6 41.jpg (231.8 KB, 8 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Nation Forums > Hardcore Tech and Competition