Just Traded in a 2014 TAHLim for a fully loaded 2019 TAHLim - Page 2 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Avalon 5th Gen - Hybrid (XX50/2019-present) Toyota Avalon Hybrid discussion for years 2019+.

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 28 Old 03-17-2019, 11:43 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
The youtube CVT video in the first post is not applicable to Toyota Hybrids. For one thing, Toyota hybrid CVTs have no belts.
ukrkoz likes this.

2018 XLE TCH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 Old 03-17-2019, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Indeed. And it is not even a CVT. Yet, it is understandable where confusion comes from as it is marketed as such, so easy to jump to a wrong video.

TableRocked likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to ukrkoz For This Useful Post:
TableRocked (06-22-2019)
post #18 of 28 Old 03-19-2019, 07:31 AM
Semper73

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Cleaning Your Windshield

During a trip, I usually clean the windshield with the squeegee at the gas station. I pull the wipers forward so I can get at the windshield and then drop them back on the windshield when I’m done.

DON’T DO THIS WITH A 2019 TAH! The driver’s side wiper arm will contact the hood edge and scrape the paint off. If you read the manual, it says to put the wipers in the “service” position by activating the wiper level up and watch the wipers sweep across the windshield. At about 2 seconds, turn OFF the car with the wipers in the vertical (“service”) position.

This is a “work around” for a poor design IMHO. Yes, the wipers are hidden by the hood. But every car I can remember owning lets you simply pull the wipers forward. Guess they needed to “improve” this!
TableRocked likes this.

2019 Avalon Hybrid Limited
2017 Prius Four Touring
1984 Avanti Touring Coupe
The Following User Says Thank You to Semper73 For This Useful Post:
TableRocked (06-22-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 28 Old 03-19-2019, 07:38 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper73 View Post
During a trip, I usually clean the windshield with the squeegee at the gas station. I pull the wipers forward so I can get at the windshield and then drop them back on the windshield when I’m done.

DON’T DO THIS WITH A 2019 TAH! The driver’s side wiper arm will contact the hood edge and scrape the paint off. If you read the manual, it says to put the wipers in the “service” position by activating the wiper level up and watch the wipers sweep across the windshield. At about 2 seconds, turn OFF the car with the wipers in the vertical (“service”) position.

This is a “work around” for a poor design IMHO. Yes, the wipers are hidden by the hood. But every car I can remember owning lets you simply pull the wipers forward. Guess they needed to “improve” this!
I had a gas station attendant wash my windshield at my last fill and noticed this happening. I already knew about the service position, but didn't think about it before he washed the windows. Oregon is one of the couple of states where you cannot fill your own tank. The attendants do not always wash the windshield... but maybe I better start using the service position from now on... in the event they do.

/Jim
TableRocked likes this.

2019 Avalon Hybrid Limited - Wind Chill Pearl/Graphite
2017 Sienna Limited AWD - Blizzard Pearl/Chestnut
2015 Prius V Five - Blizzard Pearl/Grey
post #20 of 28 Old 03-20-2019, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Indeed. And it is not even a CVT. Yet, it is understandable where confusion comes from as it is marketed as such, so easy to jump to a wrong video.
Hmmm.

Well then, someone needs to inform Toyota of this since they list it on Toyota.com website as an "Electronically controlled Continuously Variable Transmission (ECVT) with Sequential Shiftmatic™ Mode"

See https://www.toyota.com/avalon/featur...3504/3507/3514 under Mechanical/Performance/Transmission.

I think I'll trust Toyota's own website for the specs on a 2019 Avalon rather than a 2016 video from a non-Toyota source which tries to simplify the complex workings of a hybrid system. Ditto the spec sheet that came with my Avalon. Just saying ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2019-03-20 075139.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	236154   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vehicle Specs - 2019 Avalon Hybrid LIMITED1.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	236158  
TableRocked likes this.

Last edited by jrspe; 03-20-2019 at 10:53 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jrspe For This Useful Post:
TableRocked (06-22-2019)
post #21 of 28 Old 03-20-2019, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
... If you read the manual, it says to put the wipers in the “service” position by activating the wiper level up and watch the wipers sweep across the windshield. At about 2 seconds, turn OFF the car with the wipers in the vertical (“service”) position. ... This is a “work around” for a poor design IMHO. ...
Not trying to be contentious or an Avalon fanboy, but I'd be willing to bet that the wipes have been tucked down under the hood (and thus require the 'Service Position') for aerodynamic purposes - i.e., improved gas mileage. If so, I'll take the improved mpg over the occasional (rare?) hassle of the Service Position.

Also, if I am correctly reading your description for entering the 'Service Position' (sounds like something your doctor asks you to do, doesn't it? ), I think you might have it a bit wrong. First, stop the engine. Then, simply lift and hold the wiper control in the 'Mist' position for two seconds. The wipes will go directly into the proper position for service.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2019-03-20 083248.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	236156  
ukrkoz and TableRocked like this.

Last edited by jrspe; 03-21-2019 at 02:22 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jrspe For This Useful Post:
TableRocked (06-22-2019)
post #22 of 28 Old 03-21-2019, 08:46 AM
Semper73

Red face

You are being neither contentious nor a fanboy, just correcting my post (which is a good thing) and offering an opinion.

I fully agree that hiding the wipers behind the hood is more aerodynamic. How much is beyond my ability without a wind tunnel. LOL. But I also agree that I’ll take any increase in MPG, especially when the gas prices rise again (and I believe they will).

I reread the manual and you are correct. But it took a little trial and error to get correct.
Tried it with the engine off (just getting in). No movement.
Tried in in the ACCESSORY mode. No movement.
Tried it with the engine running. Movement (duh - MIST) but not to the service position (also Duh - MIST).
Shut the engine off and as the seat was repositioning for exit, I selected MIST for 2 seconds and VIOLA! - the service position.

So it seems the car must be in the “shut down” routine to get this “service position” because you can’t get it any other way. Once the car is totally shut down, there’s no juice.

Thanks.
ukrkoz and TableRocked like this.

2017 Prius Four Touring
The Following User Says Thank You to Semper73 For This Useful Post:
TableRocked (06-22-2019)
post #23 of 28 Old 03-21-2019, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Actually, I think there is, in fact, another way to get the wipers in the service position - but without having to start/stop the engine.

You tried Accessory mode (which is where you simply press the blue Start button once but without pressing the brake pedal) and had no luck. If you press the blue Start button a second time (again without pressing on the brake pedal), you enter the "On" mode where all of the electrical/electronic gizmos are powered but the engine does not start. Press the blue Start button a third time (again without pressing on the brake pedal), and it will turn off all of the electr gizmos. I believe you can now do the service position routine by Misting for 2 seconds.

I can't get to my car right now to verify this but I believe my memory is correct.

Last edited by jrspe; 03-21-2019 at 02:36 PM.
post #24 of 28 Old 03-21-2019, 03:00 PM
Semper73

Yep. Works on the third button push just like shutting off the engine but without turning on the engine. Good to know in case you forget to put them in the service position until AFTER you shut the whole thing down.

Thanks.

2017 Prius Four Touring
post #25 of 28 Old 03-21-2019, 04:21 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Yep. Works on the third button push just like shutting off the engine but without turning on the engine. Good to know in case you forget to put them in the service position until AFTER you shut the whole thing down.

Thanks.
I also have the opposite [1st world] problem. In the car wash, when I exit, they towel dry the car... and they want to lift the wiper blades to dry the windshield. The problem being that to put them in the service position, I'll need to shut off the engine... and often they tell you pull forward because another car is coming off the line behind you.

I can't remember what happens when you restart the car. I think they stay in the service position, but I am not positive. I'll have to check it out tomorrow night when I get home again.

/Jim

post #26 of 28 Old 03-21-2019, 04:57 PM
Semper73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynz4 View Post
I also have the opposite [1st world] problem. In the car wash, when I exit, they towel dry the car... and they want to lift the wiper blades to dry the windshield. The problem being that to put them in the service position, I'll need to shut off the engine... and often they tell you pull forward because another car is coming off the line behind you.

I can't remember what happens when you restart the car. I think they stay in the service position, but I am not positive. I'll have to check it out tomorrow night when I get home again.

/Jim
They don’t return to the down position when you restart the car until you move the windshield wiper lever. So you should be able to restart and relocate without having to go through the “SPH” (Service Pisition Hooplah).

2017 Prius Four Touring
post #27 of 28 Old 03-21-2019, 05:05 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
They don’t return to the down position when you restart the car until you move the windshield wiper lever. So you should be able to restart and relocate without having to go through the “SPH” (Service Pisition Hooplah).
That is what I thought... but not being with my car I couldn't confirm. I guess once I exit the carwash and stop, I'll shutdown, do the SPH, then restart. Already, when I fill with gas (not too often) , I do the SPH in case the attendant decides to wash my windows.

/Jim

post #28 of 28 Old 03-27-2019, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Yes, I know what Toyota calls their PSD. Though, there is mentioning that PSD was assigned "CVT" designation for Toyota to be able to match Federal regulations and market transmission in the US. If you take simple look at PSD internals and compare it to any CVT internals, you will see that there is nothing in common and principles of operation are different. PSD is epicyclical gear set. More similar with that of a standard automatic transmission.

Peculiarly enough, they now added "shifting points" to PSD, mimicking a 6 speed automatic shifts. Allegedly, owners thought their transmissions were broken without shifting points.

This is old but very good course on PSD:

Have you noticed how the terms “rotation” and “revolution” are used? Those “power carriers” are sometimes affectionately referred to as “planets” and the motor in the center as “sun”. Knowing all that, it becomes clear why this PSD design has been officially named as a “Planetary-CVT”. It has absolutely nothing in common with the other type of CVT that utilizes a cone and a belt to transfer power, but it does feel like it is the same.

http://john1701a.com/prius/documents/Prius_Power-Split-Device_details.pdf

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Avalon Hybrid > Avalon 5th Gen - Hybrid (XX50/2019-present)